Scheduled Thread / Post

Peter

Create one or more posts ahead of time to be automatically submitted later.

For example, type the post and get it formatted nicely and then wait for the "press release day" for it to be submitted. News/media/entertainment industries get information but are not allowed to be released until later on (days, weeks, etc.). Even useful for forum announcements.

What do you think?

Upvote 191
Would anyone be willing to pay for such a system where the scheduled thread/post is inserted into a queue similar to the moderation queue?
You write the thread/post as usual but add a desired post date to it. The post then goes into it's own queue beside the moderation queue where it can be viewed or deleted.
Since the post is not actually created at this point (unlike the moderation queue), it will not be displayed (visible to moderators) in the thread itself until the actual post date.
Take my money

Yes, this is a feature in Wordpress that I wish is available in XF. I can prepare some big announcements and set it to go live at a specific time.

I'm for this, liked the post.

but members would not see it appear until it went approved.
Or just make it dimmer than the normal view to let the user know it's there, but required attention.

but perhaps they could be made early if one remembered beforehand--this would be where the suggestion Paul M made above me would be handy).
I see a good idea for add-ons to be able to create, delete, and modify timed posts as well. This way, as you had stated, birthday posts could literally be created automatically (maybe X days before)

Oh, I didn't know new features get more attention when being liked. I thought it depends on how many replies a thread gets. Good to know, thanks!
Just liked this suggestion. I definitely could make a good use of it on my gaming site.

Not sure who is in charge for announcements from staff members, but they could actually make an annoucement, so every member will know, how important it is to like the first post of suggestion.

It is crazy that this suggestion is here for 3 years and got only 60 likes. But I bet you, when it will get announced in Have You Seen it will get the double, triple amount of likes in just few days. :LOL:

Just liked this suggestion. I definitely could make a good use of it on my gaming site.

Not sure who is in charge for announcements from staff members, but they could actually make an annoucement, so every member will know, how important it is to like the first post of suggestion.

It is crazy that this suggestion is here for 3 years and got only 60 likes. But I bet you, when it will get announced in Have You Seen it will get the double, triple amount of likes in just few days. :LOL:

Actually, that's exactly what this sticky post by Mike (Staff) says:
http://xenforo.com/community/threads/guide-to-suggestions.2284/
When posting suggestions or commenting on suggestions others have posted, it's important to follow some guidelines to ensure that your thoughts are understood.

Replying to Suggestions

First and foremost, if you like the suggestion that a person has made, like the post. If you have further tweaks to the suggestion, please post them but still like the post.

Suggestions can be sorted by the number of likes the first message has received by using the "thread display options" tab at the bottom of thread list. The number of likes that the first message of a thread has received is "shown" on the thread list by hovering the replies/views cell.

Threads with a large number of likes will bubble up to the top and give us things to focus on. However, please keep in mind that a highly-liked suggestion is not guaranteed to be implemented. There may be technical reasons to not do it or it may not fit in with the goals for the product. We will give our thoughts on as many suggestions as possible.

Posting New Suggestions

The most important (and most challenging) thing to do when posting a new suggestion is search for an existing suggestion. Reducing duplicate suggestions helps us see the true interest in a particular suggestion. It's a lot harder to see how much interest there is in a particular feature if it's split across 10 threads instead of one focused one.

Secondly, consider the best place for your suggestion. The suggestions forum has been split because "write a CMS" and "change this button" are very different in their scope and the size of their undertaking. It would be very easy for the smaller ideas to get swamped by the bigger ones. If you're not sure where your idea fits, don't fret about it too much; just go with your gut. It's not entirely black and white.

Finally, please keep to one suggestion per thread. This allows us to more accurately gauge the response. Massive rollup threads don't help us know the specific ideas that people are interested in.

Also, do check the implemented/resolved suggestions forum to ensure your feature doesn't already exist. Chances are if you're coming to suggest it, it doesn't exist but you never know and maybe you'll find something you didn't know about.:)

Thanks for all of the suggestions that have been posted and the ones that will be posted. Your feedback is important to ensure that we're building software you want to use. (I apologize if that sounds cliché. :))[\quote]

Just wanted to report that this new add-on:

http://xenforo.com/community/resources/scheduled-post.2216/

This add-on works great for scheduling new threads, at least as far as I've tested it, only three scheduled threads, but all were published as I had hoped!

I will report a full review in about a week in the Add-on discussion thread.

(BTW: as much as I love this add-on, I'd still like to see this functionality in the core!)

It would be excellent for staff and general users of a community, the ability to schedule when a thread will be posted in a respective forum (or respective label), at a certain date, at a certain hour. It may be a good feature, for example, a staff member in a community can give a lot of benefit to this feature as well as a normal user.

Imagine that next week will be agitated by your obligations, work, etc. But you can work a whole day in creating the threads that you need to publish next week. Advance the work, set a specific date and time. And that the thread is stored in the system, and when the correct date and time arrives, the thread will be published as it was created. You can even create a list of content that is scheduled to be published, if you are going to go on vacation and leave only moderators to manage the community in your absence.

For users in general, this feature also has its function, it is a matter of the needs of each. For users in general, this feature also has its function, it is a matter of the needs of each. I could schedule a thread of "Happy Anniversary, XenForo" at the appropriate date and time.

Although it should be able to limit the amount of "programmed threads". To mold to the needs of each community.

Greetings, Reinhard :D

Sounds like a good idea and more useful than ever with the new Articles content type coming in XF2.2. Here's a +1 from me.

@Sushimaster I imagine if this is ever implemented it will also get hooked into the REST API as you mentioned in your other thread.

Top Bottom