Ryan Gordon’s Departure From MyBB - Whats the real reason?

Kaiser

All,
As a few have noticed, Ryan Gordon, the lead developer of MyBB has parted ways with us. A message from Ryan is below.
All of us here at the MyBB Group wish Ryan well in his future endeavours, and I personally am extremely grateful for the role that Ryan has been able to step up and fulfil over the past few years whilst I’ve not been able to dedicate much personal time toward the project. Ryan’s dedication and passion for everything he did, as well as bringing us some of the greatest MyBB releases to date, will be missed.
What does this mean for MyBB?

The most important thing to keep in mind is whilst this is a big change for us, you can still look forward to exceptional releases of your favourite forum software. Work is underway planning out MyBB 2.0, and from our top-secret prototypes, it’s already looking great.
We’ll have more to announce shortly, but again thank you for your continued support.
A message from Ryan to all…

Dear community,
It is with time that with every profession, interest and passion fade and something new comes along to take over it’s place. It is with this in mind, among other things, that I have decided to enlist my resignation from the MyBB Team.
Over the past 5 years I’ve had the unique experience of journying with this team and working on this product that has taught me so much. Together we have built hundreds of thousands of communities and I know that this will continue for a long time into the future.
I wish the MyBB team and the community best of luck in the future, as I open up this new chapter in my life.
Sincerely,
Ryan Gordon
Source: http://blog.mybb.com/2010/12/05/ryan-gordons-departure-from-mybb/

He posted something different on his blog, I wonder whats the real reason why he left MyBB.
"A couple days ago I was having a discussion with Chris Boulton on a main component of MyBB 2.0. I cannot disclose exactly what this discussion was until information on MyBB 2.0 becomes public but suffice to say that this is when I truly realized the different paths we were both now on. The decision to resign was simple at this point and that’s where I am today."
Source: http://ryangordon.net/2010/12/05/co...-look-into-the-story-behind-my-years-at-mybb/

My favorite free forum software! Although needs work in the styling.

I guess we will not know the reason until 2.0 is released.. so far away.

Don't fall for BS, Ryan has had his issues going way back at MyBB.

Chris is a great manager, I had some problems with Ryan when his name was Takiti over there, so don't read anything into this, it really is not that big of a deal.

A couple days ago I was having a discussion with Chris Boulton on a main component of MyBB 2.0. I cannot disclose exactly what this discussion was until information on MyBB 2.0 becomes public but suffice to say that this is when I truly realized the different paths we were both now on. The decision to resign was simple at this point and that’s where I am today.

Sounds like something is up.

Im not using it either, but its the best free open source script ever, just as good as vb or better since its actually stable. Has alot of potential. They put alot of hard work into it and they released it for free.

I think he's going to vB. I also think the whole problem was not just about a difference of opinion, and there's more to it, maybe he had a vision for the direction of the forum software. This usually leads to creating a new forum software, like Darby did.

Who really knows, but from reading his blog they probably had a big disagreement, and my guess is that MyBB 2.0 my turn out to be paid.

If they provide something no other service is doing....then go for it. If he wants to leave, hell. Do it.

MyBB is in a perfect position to be charging. So, DO IT.

Top Bottom