1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Not a Bug RSS Feeder giving error on every feed I try to setup

Discussion in 'Resolved Bug Reports' started by CyclingTribe, Jan 26, 2012.

1. CyclingTribe

CyclingTribe Well-Known Member

XF v1.1.1 - I'm trying to inject some jobs threads into a forum at GeeksChat but every feed I've tried has produced this same error from the feeder when I preview the feed:

There was a problem requesting the feed. 
    Error message: Feed failed to load, got response code 403
    Here are the ones I've tried (all work okay in my web browser):

Any idea what's going wrong?

Shaun :D
  2. Daniel Thomann

Daniel Thomann Active Member

3. CyclingTribe

Thanks. It's the fact that they're all failing that's bugging me.
  4. Mike

Mike XenForo Developer Staff Member

Does our feed from here work? http://xenforo.com/community/forums/-/index.rss

If not, I wonder if there's some sort of network/proxy type of issue. The 403 is a forbidden error, so it's hard to know what end is causing this from just that response code.
  5. CyclingTribe

Actually, I've just realised I had the Shorewall firewall installed recently - it's possibly related to that. I'll have a play with switching it on/off to see if RSS works. If so, I'll add a new rule.

RSS uses port 80 doesn't it?
  6. Mike

Mike XenForo Developer Staff Member

HTTP is port 80, HTTPS is 443. By default - you don't need to run servers on particular ports, but that likely wouldn't come up.
  7. CyclingTribe

Quick tip for budding geeks - don't remotely turn Shorewall off - otherwise it's a support call to the server centre to get them to restart it for you ... and in the meantime no one can get at your web sites. DOH! :ROFLMAO:

Use the "clear" command instead to disable the rules, but not Shorewall itself ... (y)
  8. CyclingTribe

Confirmed as my Shorewall firewall - apologies for the bug report.

Shaun :D