Rock Reaction

Davyc

Just opened today (16th October, 2021) is Rock Machine; now Rock Reaction.

https://rockreaction.com

This is my second XF site based on Rock Music. Members can add albums, rate albums, add and vote on albums added to the RM Chart. There are also general discussion areas and a help section (which is watched) if anyone needs a hand.

There are three basic categories (keeping things simple); Soft Rock, Hard Rock and Heavy Rock - where members choose to add albums is up to them providing what they are adding adheres to the spirit of the three categories. Entries will be moved if necessary.

The front page is a XF Page with it's own HTML code, images and CSS files - which, hopefully, illustrates what can be done with XF Pages. There's also a heap of CSS changes added to the extra.less file to get the look I was wanting to present.

There's still a lot of work to do, mainly in the back end, and I am wide open for any suggestions to help make the site better for everyone. Enjoy and please feel free to visit, join up and join in :)

Last edited:
The front page is a XF Page with it's own HTML code, images and CSS files
As a guest on first view, the default xenForo notice at the top and the cookie notice at the bottom blocks most of this out.

If you're open to suggestions:
  • I usually edit the cookie notice to make it one line instead of two, so it does not take up much screen space.
  • I'd also look into a way to disable the xenForo notice for the front page.
Otherwise, looking good (y)

If you're open to suggestions:
  • I usually edit the cookie notice to make it one line instead of two, so it does not take up much screen space.
  • I'd also look into a way to disable the xenForo notice for the front page.
Thanks for taking the time to have a look and make some important valid suggestions. Edits now done to make cookies message one line and to reduce the size of the guest notice; that latter is something I never noticed being logged in all of the time lol.

Many thanks again.

Wow! Your forum looks great! Excellent graphics and layout IMHO. Nice job!
Thank you for your kind words, I enjoy messing with layouts to see what can be squeezed out of the tube lol. I'm not done yet, as there are a few items still on my 'to do' list that I want to see if they are possible :)

I've changed the name and URL of the site and made some major cosmetic changes as well as using a different theme from Xenfocus.com

The new name is Rock Reaction and the new URL is:

1665337360116.webp

1665337410887.webp

1665337464810.webp

I need to change the title on the above lol.

I have a new site that is almost ready using Xenforo so I'll be posting that later this week when it goes live.

Made some changes to the New Threads Widget so instead of just showing text, it shows the album cover with the name of the band and the title of the album. It also translates nicely on mobiles with a two image (side by side) view of the album covers etc.

One template change (the Widget) and some custom CSS to get the look - it works nicely to allow for each forum category to be viewed on the home page the same; the image below shows two Widgets with each forum category implemented. Gives a nicer look than just text, what do you think? May not be suitable for all forum types but this works well on Rock Reaction and I also use it on The Movie Bunker site too.

1665848797197.png

Site has had a makeover to generate a more relaxed mode of viewing - tidied up some CSS and made adjustments for mobile so it's all beginning to take shape. I'm considering adding a gallery to the site, but have yet to make a decision on this.

screenshot.webp

Site has had a makeover to generate a more relaxed mode of viewing - tidied up some CSS and made adjustments for mobile so it's all beginning to take shape. I'm considering adding a gallery to the site, but have yet to make a decision on this.

View attachment 279022
Looks good as it is IMO, but if you already have the licence, then why not? :D

I just added a few albums and the whole process was very painless.

Looks good as it is IMO, but if you already have the licence, then why not?
I wanted the mood to reflect the music genre - I quite liked the light theme, but this one from @Ehren 'Uniform Dark' is a real pleasure to work with. I've used it on my Movie site (have two licences for both XF and Uniform Dark before anyone asks lol) with a similar feel though the colors are a little different. The Gallery I'm considering is to allow people to add photos of bands and artists; I'm also thinking this would be a good use of @Bob Showcase addon which I have a licence for. Still thinking about this. There's also something happening in the background which is a secret until it's done - something a little different :)

Another big update to Rock Reaction with some significant changes to the layout and format of the site. New sections introduced, 'Fans Of ...' and 'Talk Rock Music' with hundreds of photos and videos added and the opportunity to engage with others who follow the featured bands, as well as talking about rock music in general. Lots of opportunities to help shape the future of the site with plenty of member engagement possible. Here's a few screenshots, but visiting the site is a better experience, and if you love rock music register as a member and become more involved in sharing your favourite bands and music tastes in rock music.

1683371907423.png

1683372015564.png

1683372082236.png

Look forward to seeing all you rock fans over there and engaging in the music you love :)

BTW: if you are a registered Spotify user, you can listen to the majority of the albums on-site by visiting an album, scroll down to the second post and there will be a playlist. If you're not a Spotify user you can listen to previews.

Top Bottom