Resource Manager Uses

Anthony Parsons

After the announcement of the resource manager, and how it will eventually become a saleable add-on, my brain began ticking for its possible uses.
  • Download manager (obvious)
  • Marketplace? If each user can integrate their own paypal email with their pages... then this turns into one hell of a marketplace to sell anything really... auto's, parts, pics, files, etc.
What uses can you think off for this?

Without seeing exactly how it is going to work it is hard to say. I think there would be a possibility of using it as a gallery and maybe even a article system depending on how it works.

Would only require some template changes :).

I think this thread got buried too quickly, so I want to bump it to the top in an attempt to help calm my nerves as to what all functionality the resource manager will be able to be used for. I would love to know if it can fulfill multiple roles with one instance/install?

After the announcement of the resource manager, and how it will eventually become a saleable add-on, my brain began ticking for its possible uses.
  • Download manager (obvious)
  • Marketplace? If each user can integrate their own paypal email with their pages... then this turns into one hell of a marketplace to sell anything really... auto's, parts, pics, files, etc.
What uses can you think off for this?

would be great to combine this with a very simple XenForo shopping cart.
So each user can have his own shop-website and sell products (if you allow them to do so).

I am not talking about the functionality of the "Resources Manager" here at the XF.com-website, but to be used for my own XF-Forum-website.

Content is King, but Commerce is Money.

I was just thinking of an example of a use-case for the Resource-Manager:

Having a Forum for "Job Offers and Job Applications" at which companies can post their job-offers and job-seekers can post their applications.
Usually job-seekers do not want to have their Curriculum-Vitae (private data, certificates, etc.) shown to public view, so it would be great if there would be some feature build in to have their postings hidden for unregistered users or job-seeker is giving permission to view (or ability to download) his job-application to certain users only.

Not sure if the "Resource Manager" would be handy for this, just an idea which just came to my mind......

Having a Forum for "Job Offers and Job Applications" at which companies can post their job-offers and job-seekers can post their applications.
Usually job-seekers do not want to have their Curriculum-Vitae (private data, certificates, etc.) shown to public view, so it would be great if there would be some feature build in to have their postings hidden for unregistered users or job-seeker is giving permission to view (or ability to download) his job-application to certain users only.

Not sure if the "Resource Manager" would be handy for this, just an idea which just came to my mind......
They're nothing similar...

i would hope i could use it for a download index that allows me to specify external links and mirrors, but im pretty sure it will be an 'upload-only, single source only' scenario.
would be great if i could use it as a link index as well.

Payment integration is the big one before I make any moves with it. But any directory services or similar will work great with it

I plan to use it as an account upgrade for people to sell their services. With a self contained blog, suddenly any specific issues all remain within that persons entry, and not scattered around the forum.

For me on one site, it would be a way for therapists to advertise themselves and directly answer questions about their services, all contained within one specific area per person. To me, any type of resource manager equates to a physical or service based good... no difference really in what your selling.

Just thinking about the marketplace potential this could have is daunting.... an auto forum, allows members to upgrade their account and sell their car, all whilst supporting questions directly within that self contained resource.

I don't know how extensible is the system but i have 2 uses I can see off the top of my head: a review system and a job listing service.
Erich mentioned something similar in post #8 about job listing. My other use is to have a review system where members can post review of a product/company/etc.

I have planned to have a coder do exactly this system for my site before this was announced but I guess i can afford to wait a few months to see how this system turns out.

I have planned to have a coder do exactly this system for my site before this was announced but I guess i can afford to wait a few months to see how this system turns out.
I need similar functionality developed in addition to downloads as well. Waiting here as well. If you do decide to hire someone to to make a "jobs addon", send me a PC, maybe we can collaborate.

I actually have the review system coded in Wordpress but i'm not fully satisfied with it so we will use it temporary until the Resource Manager is made available to purchase.

I remember seeing a pic mockup of the Resource Manager but I can't find it now.
Can anyone give the link?

I thought when I saw it that it might manage my Articles - with a few functions disabled.
Then I saw -GR- suggest the same thing here so I am encouraged.
My main concerns are that
a) XF Pages can only be edited in admin and with html, which makes them slow to update and can't delegate that job;
b) the wiki can create and edit on frontend in bbcode, but its pages don't have option to show up in the node tree so it makes the content look secondary
c) a Resource Manager presumably would link to a forum thread. At least I hope so.

Would love to check the idea again if someone would link to that draft graphic of it.

Thanks Brogan.

I have edited the mock up to reflect as an Article manager - almost entirely making changes could be done in Phrases.

Articlemgr.webp

Enjoy!

I think you would have to do some serious redesign and cutting of components to have this like a CMS...

There are better ways to do that right now, ie. you could use the blog mod which incorporates comments, etc... you could use the in-built pages system. These are better article systems than what this would be out of the box.

The pages system is a far better system for CMS content, as you can literally custom code your design via a style and its fully integrated with usergroups, permissions, upgrades, etc etc.

Top Bottom