Not a bug Requets to add “Algiers” time zone

Fethi.dz

Hello,

I’m always as Algerian wondering why my country Time Zone is not in the list. I use XF on an Algeria forum and I am forced to choose “Tunis” time zone.
I really appreciate if you can add “Algiers” as well.

Thanks.

Attachments

• 9878F6BC-207F-4FF2-86F0-18019BE543D9.webp
    9878F6BC-207F-4FF2-86F0-18019BE543D9.webp
    40.5 KB · Views: 16
It is just a name thing. Take a look at /src/XF/Data/TimeZone.php, you can use the timezone (UTC+01:00) West Central Africa or rename the phrase.. ;)

Thanks @mcatze for taking gime to check the timezone file 👍

Well “Algiers” should be in the “Central European Time” zone not “West Central Africa Time” zone which actually should be “Central Africa Time” because there is no time zone with that name I believe.
  • Centreal European Time Zone +1 include those african countries: Algeria, Tunisia (All year)
  • West African Time Zone +1
  • Central African Time Zone +2
Maybe @Chris D can take a look at this.

It's important to note that our time zone options generally aren't referring to specific time zone names, but regions that share the same time. Because of historical time accuracy, the TZ database, which our code builds off of, is super specific (I currently have over 400 options in it). That doesn't apply to our needs, so to attempt to make it easier to use for most people, we don't include every single option in it. This means folding entries into a single zone when they currently represent the same time.

The "West Central Africa" name is actually used by Windows as well and I'm pretty sure this is the same time zone you would pick there, so we certainly aren't unique in this naming. (I'm not positive why we split out Tunis in the past, though it may have been due to some level of historical differences that made it distinct when this list was initially built.)

Algeria and Tunisia do refer to their time zones as CET, though that's misleading because it's actually West Africa Time (since no DST is observed).

Given all of this (especially considering that Windows is generally similar), I don't see any changes currently being necessary out of the box. You can change your phrases locally if you'd like to be more specific based on your demographic though.

Top Bottom