Report Handling Question

James

When a report is claimed, you are presented with a list of actions you can do.
I know that only 1 moderator may claim a post, what happens if two moderators claim a post at ~ the same time? Has this been tested for any bugs whereby both users may be assigned to the report (I suspect there isn't any, but I decided to ask!).

Also, once you claim the report, are you able to unclaim it so that another moderator may claim it?

No way, if I claim it, it's mine. Lawrence better keep his paws off!! :mad:

(j/k)

we haven't actually come across these issues yet. I guess we'd better try it out.

When a report is claimed, you are presented with a list of actions you can do.
I know that only 1 moderator may claim a post, what happens if two moderators claim a post at ~ the same time? Has this been tested for any bugs whereby both users may be assigned to the report (I suspect there isn't any, but I decided to ask!).

Also, once you claim the report, are you able to unclaim it so that another moderator may claim it?

I reported your post. :p

As Peggy stated, we never seen that happen yet, and I doubt it will as once it is claimed it is marked right away. So an error page would be generated for the other Mod, I would guess (Mike or Kier can you confirm?).

You can unclaim it by changing the status to "Open", if it was not resolved.

If the report was resolved, adding a comment will automatically set the report to Open, and then another Moderator (or even the one who originally resolved it), can claim it.

No way, if I claim it, it's mine. Lawrence better keep his paws off!! :mad:

No way! When I see there is no other staff on, I sneak in, set all claimed reports to open and claim them all for myself.... :cool:

Ok, just kidding, BUT, to do some testing, I did steal one of Mikes, :p

I reported your post. :p

As Peggy stated, we never seen that happen yet, and I doubt it will as once it is claimed it is marked right away. So an error page would be generated for the other Mod, I would guess (Mike or Kier can you confirm?).

You can unclaim it by changing the status to "Open", if it was not resolved.

If the report was resolved, adding a comment will automatically set the report to Open, and then another Moderator (or even the one who originally resolved it), can claim it.

No way! When I see there is no other staff on, I sneak in, set all claimed reports to open and claim them all for myself.... :cool:

Ok, just kidding, BUT, to do some testing, I did steal one of Mikes, :p
So the handle updates using AJAX? That's good... at least it will update live on the other user's side too (I hope).

Why does adding a comment re-open a resolved report? I can see its uses but it could become annoying if you have a random moderator offering his/her $0.02 on a report and re-opening all the resolved reports.. or doing as you said and setting the statuses to open then claiming and resolving them as their own.
Perhaps it should be possible to resolve a report and prevent it from being re-opened.. or at least log who re-opened it so that they can be checked up on.

So the handle updates using AJAX? That's good... at least it will update live on the other user's side too (I hope).

I don't think it uses Ajax. Once a report is claimed, another Mod can't claim it anyways unless they choose to re-open it for one reason or another. We never came across this as of yet, so only Mike or Kier can answer what will happen if multiple moderaters claimed the report at the same time. Most likely the other moderators will receive an error.

Why does adding a comment re-open a resolved report? I can see its uses but it could become annoying if you have a random moderator offering his/her $0.02 on a report and re-opening all the resolved reports.. or doing as you said and setting the statuses to open then claiming and resolving them as their own.
Perhaps it should be possible to resolve a report and prevent it from being re-opened.. or at least log who re-opened it so that they can be checked up on.

My example was to have some fun with Peggy. If a moderator actually does that, all moderators can see all the status changes anyways. I doubt the mod in question will be a mod for long.

But really, there may be a valid reason to re-open a closed report. Maybe a report about a thread was rejected, but the moderator seen another post that warranted another action, but that post was not reported by anyone when he/she noticed it.

Thanks for the replies Lawrence and Peggy (and any testing you did in the process)! :)

Hopefully Kier/Mike can clarify anything that was left inaccurate/unanswered.

There was nothing I can see that was inaccurate based on my experience using the Reporting system. :)

For further testing, Peggy reclaimed this reported thread to test some functionality as well. I will say, the Reporting system is very clean and tidy. And using the comments, you can easily have discussions or pass on thoughts or opinions to other Mods. Your moderators will love it, and Admins will too as they can read why a certain action was taken, or why a moderator decided not to take action.

1. If there's a race condition, the second person trying to claim it will get an error. If desired, a mod can explicitly claim it from another moderator though. As mentioned, you can unassign yourself as well. (The claiming thing will probably become optional, as in a lot of cases, it's a 30 second job so the claim isn't particularly useful.)

2. The re-opening is because if a comment is necessary, it's likely because the mod disagrees with the action taken. If it weren't opened, no one would see it. If someone is abusing this, it doesn't seem like it makes sense for them to be a moderator. :) Even if it didn't come through the moderator, a second report of an item would re-open the report; this is important in case the report was rejected initially and another complaint comes up.

Thanks for clarification Mike. I'm thinking completely hypothetically here (because the chances of it happening are very very slim) but what if 2 people were to click it simultaneously? Of course, internet speeds etc. will play a part in this and it could be that both are somehow unlikely assigned to it.

If we allow people to claim it from others, is this a usergroup/user-based option? I wouldn't want my moderators claiming from other mods.

Are claims updated live? So if a group of moderators were to watch a report, they'd see it was claimed straight away (or would they have to click Claim then receive the error)?

Thanks for clarification Mike. I'm thinking completely hypothetically here (because the chances of it happening are very very slim) but what if 2 people were to click it simultaneously? Of course, internet speeds etc. will play a part in this and it could be that both are somehow unlikely assigned to it.
There is no such thing as simultaneous. :) The system knows whether the assignment has changed since you loaded the page and blocks it.

If we allow people to claim it from others, is this a usergroup/user-based option? I wouldn't want my moderators claiming from other mods.
No, this isn't a option. If you can't trust a person to actually resolve reports intelligently, I don't think they're a quality moderator.

Are claims updated live? So if a group of moderators were to watch a report, they'd see it was claimed straight away (or would they have to click Claim then receive the error)?
They have to click. I don't think race conditions will come up that often anyway, so I wouldn't focus on it.

2 (rhetorical) questions.
  • Has anyone on the staff on xf.com typed "help!!!!" in as a status yet?
  • How can I motivate my moderators to claim things? Not working is easier than working...

2 (rhetorical) questions.
  • Has anyone on the staff on xf.com typed "help!!!!" in as a status yet?
  • How can I motivate my moderators to claim things? Not working is easier than working...
If you have to motivate your mods to claim a report, you have the wrong mods darlin'.
They should be more than willing to help out without having to be motivated by you.

If you have to motivate your mods to claim a report, you have the wrong mods darlin'.
They should be more than willing to help out without having to be motivated by you.
They were chosen for very specific qualities, moderating was not one of those qualities.

To be honest, we only get about 2 reported posts/year. If that. So they have little experience anyway.

Top Bottom