[rellect] AdBlock Detector [Deleted]

@XxUnkn0wnxX

Was a little tricky, but I think I fixed it.
It didn't blocked the alert specifically, the issue was a little bit different.
This extension using with safari isn't just blocking the scripts, it's also blocking few js events.
It's very smart actually, but I found a way to go around it.

A beta version is available, please use your download link to get it.
Let me know if the issue is fixed.
k then i will let you know when i get around to it..

sometime time to day (maybe)

also this prior the beta tests:

Adblock Plus For Safari: https://adblockplus.org/en/safari
Adblock Plus For FireFox: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/adblock-plus/
Element Hiding Helper for Adblock Plus: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/elemhidehelper/

tends to also kill the alert

both safari and firefox the element hiding rule blocks the alert just like in this screen shot:

BE0Xr5F.png

but the
difference is in safari without this rule it doesnt get blocked.

in firefox this still gets blocked even without the element hiding rules

just like in these screen shots:

dtodLu5.png

X3vmC7t.png

and this without the adblocker:
rzuS9Os.png

i have the filters configured the same on both firefox and safari thus they act differently where safari gets detected and alert is displayed by default without element hiding.

and firefox by default alert gets blocked without element hiding rule.

this what i have in my filter list:
Adblock Warning Removal List - Enabled
EasyList
EasyPrivacy - Enabled
EasyList without element hiding rules - Enabled
Fanboy's Annoyance List
Fanboy's Social Blocking List - Enabled

this where i got these filters from: https://easylist.adblockplus.org/en/

but technically the above filters/subscriptions block the alert on firefox...

EasyList has the element hiding rules by default where EasyList without element hiding rules doesnt but still blocks the alert.

and you can still download safari for win here: http://support.apple.com/downloads/#safari

then use apple updates manager to update it to latest ver

Last edited:
@XxUnkn0wnxX
Unfourtently there is nothing to do when a filter being added manually by the user.
Just note that the rule you added for the overlay will block ALL error overlays, and not just the one about the adblock alert, so probably no one would want to do that.

@XxUnkn0wnxX
Unfourtently there is nothing to do when a filter being added manually by the user.
Just note that the rule you added for the overlay will block ALL error overlays, and not just the one about the adblock alert, so probably no one would want to do that.
Unless you manually change something with the code. I'm not sure how your addon works, but I know with my manual code, all I need to do is a change a class and that element appears again for the user. All it does is annoy the users that block it. Not sure if we'd be getting anything out of it by forcing them to look at the adblock notice.

Unless you manually change something with the code. I'm not sure how your addon works, but I know with my manual code, all I need to do is a change a class and that element appears again for the user. All it does is annoy the users that block it. Not sure if we'd be getting anything out of it by forcing them to look at the adblock notice.
It's possible but I can't release an update with different classes every time someone manually adds a filter, it's not practical and does not worth the effort as most users don't bother to do that. (Note: for those who concerned about it, note that this filter is specific just to the user who added that, so others are not affected).
Even if I did provide these changes, it means update the addon on daily basis (or weekly) which no one probably would like the idea.

In addition, there is the case that no specific filter can be added (like with the overlay type, as filtering that will hide all error overlays, and not just the adblock alert).

I also got a suggestion to apply randomly classes names. So it will change itself automatically.
I'm checking this option but it's not so easy as it will require also change the classes in the css template, and may have conflicts with custom edits.

It's possible but I can't release an update with different classes every time someone manually adds a filter, it's not practical and does not worth the effort as most users don't bother to do that. (Note: for those who concerned about it, note that this filter is specific just to the user who added that, so others are not affected).
Even if I did provide these changes, it means update the addon on daily basis (or weekly) which no one probably would like the idea.

In addition, there is the case that no specific filter can be added (like with the overlay type, as filtering that will hide all error overlays, and not just the adblock alert).

I also got a suggestion to apply randomly classes names. So it will change itself automatically.
I'm checking this option but it's not so easy as it will require also change the classes in the css template, and may have conflicts with custom edits.
I was just stating a potential work around. Possibly adding an option to change the name of a class or something would be good. IDK, it's not my addon and I haven't looked at yours. Was just giving a potential fix for the users who buy your addon, maybe you can show them where to navigate to change it themselves so you don't have to do it in your addon.

I enable ngx_pagespeed today and I also disallow this js file on my config:
pagespeed Disallow */js/rellect/AdblockDetector/advertisement.js*;

But ad block detector most of the time doesn't work :(
My alert type used is: Floating Message.

With pagespeed disable, it works fine.
But when enable, it doesn't work.

:rolleyes:

Edit: Nevermind, I disable ngx_pagespeed defer js filter.

Last edited:
rellect updated [rellect] Adblock Detector with a new update entry:

v1.1.1

[FIXED] Issue related to excluded nodes, especially non-forum node types.
[FIXED] Found a situation where unnecessary code is running (in the notice alert type).
[IMPROVEMENT] Hook location changed to page_container_js_body, which moves the whole code from the head to the footer. This is in addition to the async change from the previous update.
[CHANGE] Applied a change to...

Read the rest of this update entry...

Reactions: rdn
A new update has been released.
Note this update doesn't fix the detecting issue with https://www.getadblock.com for safari.
I'm experimenting a workaround, but currently this is not stable enough so I didn't add that to this update.

Note that there's no issue when using the adblock-plus in safari.

Just curious if there's a way to tally/record and count how many times adblock detection is triggered ?

This skirts close to the Terms of Service for AdSense about drawing attention to ads. Anybody have any issues?
I guess that depends what the message says. There is nothing wrong by mentioning ads if you're not directly asking to click on them.
Just curious if there's a way to tally/record and count how many times adblock detection is triggered ?
Stats are in my todo list, it's in progress but I don't have much time to work on that so it may take a while until I'll add this feature.
Just a note, there is a js function that is being called when adblock is detected. It can be extended for third party development.

i am not sure why this happens to some of the many users that have been complaining.

but i think this add one is responsible as it shows up with pop up in the registration forum:

http://gyazo.com/cb93832424f2f570927d11b6b913f2ca

and gives error an error as show in image and users cannot create there accounts
The adblock detector just alerts that an adblocker found enabled in the browser.
It doesn't stop users from registering, and if this is the case, you could disable the adblock detector addon and see if the issue is resolved.
If you certain this is the cause to the issue, let me know and I'll do few more tests, as currently I can't reproduce this issue at my end.

Hi @rellect I was wondering if it is possible to transfer my license since I won't be able to support my site anymore :(

sure sure why but some of the users still get this when they are trying to login as it should not show up at all within login/registration page at all:

d5352e85de.png

in the above image this is a user going through 2 stage of login process. entering code for 2 way factor authorisation for google authenticator.

sure sure why but some of the users still get this when they are trying to login as it should not show up at all within login/registration page at all:

d5352e85de.png

in the above image this is a user going through 2 stage of login process. entering code for 2 way factor authorisation for google authenticator.
I see, this is because the addon you're using is probably set on a different content template, so this template name should be added to the excluded list in the settings. However, for the next update I'll add a setting to exclude by controller, which can be more specific when we need to exclude by actions (like login).

Top Bottom