1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Registration mails not sending correct links?

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting and Problems' started by Renegade, Apr 23, 2011.

1. Renegade

Renegade Well-Known Member

Forum was unable to send mails through the default option so I setup the SMTP mail.

Now the mails are going to the users, however when a user clicks on the Registration confirmation mail link he gets to the forum page which says,"The requested page could not be found.".

Users are not able to complete the registration.

Any idea what could be the problem?
  2. Brogan

Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member

First thing to check would be the Board URL in the ACP -> Options.

Which mail provider are you using and can you post some examples of the emails and URLs?

I have seen a few cases where the email application/browser interpreted the URL incorrectly, adding an extra /.
  3. Renegade

Renegade Well-Known Member

Is there an ashamed smiley on xenforo?

Ok I found the problem. I had moved my forum from a subdirectory to root and forgot to remove the trailing / even when the instructions were right under the field. :p
    So URL now looks like -> http://www.x y z.com//account-confirmation/5/email?c=ba93e1xcv5f7cae0
  4. Brogan

At least it's sorted, that's the main thing :)
  5. Adam Carem

Adam Carem New Member

I am confused, how did you fix this problem? Could someone please expand for Noobs like me? :(

Thank you

(I also moved my forum from a sub-directory to the root)

SORTED: I just changed the board URL from www.abc.com/forum to www.abc.com
    for some reason it just worked. :)
  6. Brogan

The board URL is primarily used for emails so if it is incorrect then all links in emails won't work.

The FAQ covers moving installations:

How can I move my installation to a different directory?
    Update the Board URL in the ACP -> Options -> Basic Board Information and move the files to the new directory. You may need to restart the server for the change to take effect.

Adam Carem likes this.