Resource icon

[RainDigitalDesign] User Activity (Users Viewed, Viewing Thread) 1.1.5

No permission to download

rainmotorsports

rainmotorsports submitted a new resource:

[RainDD] Thread Activity (Users Viewed, Viewing Thread) - Shows users currently viewing a thread and users who previously read a thread.

This addon is designed to add the vBulletin 4.2 like features of seeing who is current viewing/reading and who has previously viewed/read a thread in Xenforo.

Features
It supports Tapatalk thread views!
It supports username styling!
Doesn't error out on redirect, invalid threads like its predecessors.

Permissions/Options
Permissions are by usergroup for each individual half (viewing versus read).
Each half can be enabled or disabled from the options.
Each portions supports being...

Read more about this resource...

Yes thats not hard at all. I am heading to bed in a few minutes but I can add an option probably tomorrow to display avatars instead of names. It's not something TBG would have wanted so I never thought of it. As far as size normally I would default to the small size in Xenforo if thats not 32px then I will scale them.

My to do list at the moment includes more phrases and moving the permissions check to the listener to prevent unnecessary query. (Which my tired self only assumes is happening). But I assume phrases in as many locations as possible is also a wish for a french site for example.

Yes thats not hard at all. I am heading to bed in a few minutes but I can add an option probably tomorrow to display avatars instead of names. It's not something TBG would have wanted so I never thought of it. As far as size normally I would default to the small size in Xenforo if thats not 32px then I will scale them.

My to do list at the moment includes more phrases and moving the permissions check to the listener to prevent unnecessary query. (Which my tired self only assumes is happening). But I assume phrases in as many locations as possible is also a wish for a french site for example.
Thank you :)

For the size, XenForo use 48px, but it's more big i think.

Look here for 32px example: https://xenadmins.com/threads/introductions-thread.24/

Nice! Any testing done on big boards to see what type of impact this has on the server? My board hovers around 3,000 online users during regular hours...I definitely miss this feature from vB but I don't miss the sluggish load times!

Also, do you plan to add something to display how many users are viewing a node for node listings/forum home?

Haven't had it on a big board yet and that's part of the reason I don't think this was core. The read thread is a pretty light query and based on data xenforo is already storing. The session query is probably abbit heavier but to a limit not much worse than the members page at a high items per page.

I plan on adding cut offs for length or date which should help a lot for that. I also intend to add permissions for appearing meaning you could filter out plain old regular users though not sure that will have a positive performance effect rather than just a visual load off.

I just got a feature request to support the resource manager which depending upon their cooperation will likely happen. I don't have the RM myself though and neither does TBG. Node viewing is pretty easy though so I will add it to the list.

Haven't had it on a big board yet and that's part of the reason I don't think this was core. The read thread is a pretty light query and based on data xenforo is already storing. The session query is probably abbit heavier but to a limit not much worse than the members page at a high items per page.

I plan on adding cut offs for length or date which should help a lot for that. I also intend to add permissions for appearing meaning you could filter out plain old regular users though not sure that will have a positive performance effect rather than just a visual load off.

I just got a feature request to support the resource manager which depending upon their cooperation will likely happen. I don't have the RM myself though and neither does TBG. Node viewing is pretty easy though so I will add it to the list.

Well, only one way to find out.

*installs*

So far, no noticeable increase in load. I'm only using the currently viewing aspect of the addon FYI. I'll keep an eye on it and let you know if I notice any performance impacts

load average: 1.96, 2.64, 3.02
3200+ online

Last edited:
Cool. Keep me updated. I am pretty sure this can be more efficient and will keep working on it. I did the permission check like ragtek did which basically means the query is still happening when it doesn't need to such as guests. Next version tomorrow will move this To either the controller or the listener cutting the load down.

Another option is actually making a disable for querying Tapatalk users. Tapatalk doesn't have a unique controller for thread view sessions. The horrible part of a session query is the LIKE searching. Since the tapatalk controller we are checking against has rows with params other than threads we are searching through way more rows than needed. So on a large board it may be worth losing that feature to increase performance on boards with tapatalk.

Feature requests:
  • Show if members are replying to the thread. This feature is really handy.
  • Live refresh this function every X seconds. (usergroup permission)
I run these functions on my vb big board and these are a good incentive to my paying members. The live refresh can be done without significant server load increase. I have between 3k -11k users online.

Cool. Keep me updated. I am pretty sure this can be more efficient and will keep working on it. I did the permission check like ragtek did which basically means the query is still happening when it doesn't need to such as guests. Next version tomorrow will move this To either the controller or the listener cutting the load down.

Another option is actually making a disable for querying Tapatalk users. Tapatalk doesn't have a unique controller for thread view sessions. The horrible part of a session query is the LIKE searching. Since the tapatalk controller we are checking against has rows with params other than threads we are searching through way more rows than needed. So on a large board it may be worth losing that feature to increase performance on boards with tapatalk.

I don't have tapatalk on my board so I won't be able to test that, but disabling anything referring to it would be welcomed.

It seems to be handling my user load well as it is. The only other thing I'd like to monitor is when one single thread has a large amount of users in it. With the NBA playoffs going on I should be able to tell you pretty quickly about that.

Feature requests:
  • Show if members are replying to the thread. This feature is really handy.
  • Live refresh this function every X seconds. (usergroup permission)
I run these functions on my vb big board and these are a good incentive to my paying members. The live refresh can be done without significant server load increase. I have between 3k -11k users online.

The first one is fairly easy. I will add it in the next day or so. However be aware that upon quoted reply or just writing in the quick reply, even after a draft save the stock session does not indicate a reply state. Only when doing a full (more options) reply does it. I am sure its possible to extend the draft save to have this behavior but that part not a high priority. Main thing is how would you want that displayed (assuming it works for others as a general concept). Alternate h3 phrase and having the list like Viewing: User1, User2 Replying: User 3 ?

The second half won't be coming soon. I have never done dynamic content loading with ajax. Its on my list of things to learn but I am actually developing several stand alone applications for TBG right now and its a matter of time. One of the applications is actually chat logging (and displaying) from our game servers and loading database content via Ajax is actually part of it.

Before anyone asks its not about money right now its about time. I have already turned down a paying job from a developer here who is willing to help fill in my knowledge gaps. The fact is I have too much on my plate and will learn additional things at my own pace. I do have a couple more easy free public plugins on my list in addition to this as well.

Anything possible addition...Have a maximum amount of users displayed.

User 1, User 2, User 3...User 50.. and X more. The "X more" could link to a popup with the full list.

Anything possible addition...Have a maximum amount of users displayed.

User 1, User 2, User 3...User 50.. and X more. The "X more" could link to a popup with the full list.

Very much possible and actually planned. I was thinking of using Jquery to expand for full view as opposed to an overlay. This was more towards the has read portion which even on a small site can get large. But it will make it to viewing as well.

Update containing phrases and the permissions check to lower database load will be out here in the next 30 minutes to an hour. I already finished and tested the permission check in controller, however it was time to stop and play video games. Playing an MMO is a full time job, had to contribute to the "guild" projects.

rainmotorsports updated [RainDD] Thread Activity (Users Viewed, Viewing Thread) with a new update entry:

Phrases added or changed:
Phrases raindd_threadactivity_whoisviewing and raindd_threadactivity_whoread changed to support footnote phrases.
Added phrases for position options raindd_threadactivity_positionabovepagenav and raindd_threadactivity_positionbelowqr.

Changes:
Changed permissions check to prevent unnecessary queries from guests and those without view permission. This is a recommended update for all sites running the initial release. It will reduce database load from this plugin on most sites by 50% or...

Read the rest of this update entry...

Last edited:
@Allan @Rain man - Update added phrases and will be relevant to you.

Allan I will look at the avatar's again in a minute. May or may not add that today if I have time.

@TeflonDon - Update now prevents guests and people without permissions from generating database queries. Should have been done in the first place but either way it will take a lot of load off.

I recommend everyone who is running this update for the changes in efficiency.

@Allan @Rain man - Update added phrases and will be relevant to you.

Allan I will look at the avatar's again in a minute. May or may not add that today if I have time.

@TeflonDon - Update now prevents guests and people without permissions from generating database queries. Should have been done in the first place but either way it will take a lot of load off.

I recommend everyone who is running this update for the changes in efficiency.

thanks, I'll update tonight.