Resource icon

[RainDigitalDesign] User Activity (Users Viewed, Viewing Thread) 1.1.5

No permission to download
Just checked this with 1.4, if a user uses the new setting to not show their current viewing activity they're still visible in the viewing a thread list from this addon.

A couple of previews from 1.1

Reworked Options:
upload_2014-9-20_7-20-24.webp

Style Properties:
upload_2014-9-20_7-21-18.webp

Options have been simplified with the container position serving as the enable/disable feature. Added one new position. If there are any others please suggest. Tapatalk (if installed) users can be prevented from showing as viewing a thread if desired. Site administrators will have a choice now whether or not to list users as having read a thread that have hidden their online status or current activity. I felt like this should be a choice for the site owner since the data is still recorded by Xenforo. The view container will honor the user choice and admin bypass privileges will bypass both.

The new style properties will allow users to easily adjust the avatar size (if used), container border and color, and title properties.

Road Map
1.1 - In addition to proper support for 1.4 permissions this will bring performance bug fixes, style properties, and limiting displayed list of users having read thread. Expected to be done in a couple of days.

1.2 - Combined with the changes in 1.1, 1.2 will be a complete rewrite from the original release. I will be ditching Xenforo's core thread read data as it was not intended for such purpose. This will lead the way to support for other areas. I will likely include support for Pages in this release as a demonstration. Probably 1 days worth of work... get it done in a month or so.

The plugin will also be renamed at this point as it moves towards a more comprehensive coverage of user activity within Xenforo. I intend to support forum and category viewing information at some point. No plan for when.

1.3 - The primary plan is to include support for the Resource Manager. Expected by years end, however could be as early as a month from now.

Beta Test Time! TEST AT YOUR OWN RISK!
Alright I need testers. I have tested on 1.4 but I would like a tester on 1.3 or 1.2. Almost everything is done. The main missing feature is the collapse/expand on who has read a thread for large user counts.

Installation
Upgrading from 1.0.x to both this beta and the final version I recommend uninstalling the old addon. Everything has changed.

Don't forget to enable the usergroup permissions as these may have changed or been removed when uninstalling the previous addon. 1.1 still relies on Read Marking Data Lifetime (Days) so make sure that setting is appropriate (higher than default to keep data longer).

Cleanup
The directory has changed names with the plugin in preparation for 1.2. You may wish to delete the ThreadActivity folder in /library/RainDD since it is no longer used. Uninstalling the older addon should take care of any customized phrases or templates as ALL of them have changed.

Understanding whats changed:
Viewing Thread now contains the ability to hide Tapatalk users. This option has nothing to do with Tapatalk being installed. Turning it off will not change anything performance wise for boards without Tapatalk. If for some reason you don't want Tapatalk users showing in users viewing thread, uncheck this option.

Previously banned and invisible users showed up in who has read a thread. These can now be hidden in the options. Banned is hidden by default, Invisible shown by default. Users who can bypass privacy settings will also bypass these settings.

The Xenforo 1.4 specific "Show your current activity" option is now honored in both sections. Viewing thread is currently not optional. Activity hidden users will be hidden from everyone except those with bypass permission in viewing thread. For users who have read thread, there is an option. Some sites may wish to display users who have read the thread regardless.

Those of you choosing to run the beta please give me feedback with board version!

Last edited:
Thanks for the update.

In my case it shows way too many visitors.

In one thread:
Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 13, Guests: 357)

But in the 'Members Online Now':
Total: 88 (members: 17, guests: 55, robots: 16)

The beta, but I also had this problem in the previous 1.0.2 version.

Alright. When you notice it again confirm the users listed are viewing the thread. I'm not so sure this is the same as then old issue. If any are offline/not viewing anything on the site I might know what it is.

The only reason I can think of more guests showing than actually on is if the online status timeout isn't being honored. I will look into it tomorrow.

Alright. When you notice it again confirm the users listed are viewing the thread. I'm not so sure this is the same as then old issue. If any are offline/not viewing anything on the site I might know what it is.

It happens at all times, the most popular threads always have more guests than the total guests in the Online Now page. I noticed now a member viewing a thread is not listed in the Online Now.

The only reason I can think of more guests showing than actually on is if the online status timeout isn't being honored. I will look into it tomorrow.

I did decrease the Online Status Timeout to 15 min to match the vB settings from which I migrated, I don't know it if could cause the problem.

No your setting isn't the issue. Its supposed to honor whatever that setting is. Basically the session table holds records that are updated any time a user loads a page. I'm guessing that the table is purged via a cron. If that cron is hourly then I know why I haven't noticed the issue. Our online status timeout is set to 1 hour. I have a feeling the online status timeout isn't being passed properly in the session query. I would need to fix that.

EDIT
Okay so the session query is most definitely not passing the cutoff properly. I have a user in the session table still from 1.5 hours ago which is fine the entry hasn't been purged yet. But with a 1 hour timeout he is showing as offline. However the plugin is showing him as viewing the thread.

Bug will be fixed for 1.0.3 and 1.1 Beta 2.

Last edited:
rainmotorsports updated [RainDD] Thread Activity (Users Viewed, Viewing Thread) with a new update entry:

1.0.3 XF 1.4 Compatibility + Performance & Bug Fixes

This is a maintenance release containing changes from the upcoming 1.1 release that is now in beta.

- Plugin now honor's new XF 1.4 permission for hiding current activity.
- Fixed performance issue with controller not being selected for session queries.
- Fixed issue with online timeout not being honored.
- Added Xenforo version check upon install

Read the rest of this update entry...

In addition to 1.0.3 being pushed out here is 1.1 Beta 2. Only the online cutoff issue has been fixed. No other changes. Next release will have the limit on number of users displayed.

Please see this for details on the Beta - https://xenforo.com/community/threa...iewed-viewing-thread.74111/page-5#post-830775

Files have been renamed in convention with future updates. So as with the 1.0.x to 1.1 Beta 1 instructions I would delete the files to not have any extras.

@rainmotorsports, please, reduce the queries in your plugin. Now their too much!

I will look into it. My plugin itself only does 2 actual queries. It appears a total of 6 take place. 1 of them is 1.4 specific for reply bans. Now I don't directly make that call, not sure what does.

It appears 3 queries for each half of the plugin. Thats 2 extra per. Both halves make the same call to see if a thread is valid and viewable which MIGHT generate a query. It's necessary to prevent errors on thread redirects but there might be an alternative.

Edit - Confirmed it's the checking if a thread is valid and viewable, generating 2 queries per side for a total of 4. Its been there since day 1. I will have to find a way to eliminate these checks while still confirming a thread is not a redirect.

Last edited: