question about viewing an app's source code

pk698

I'm not a programmer so this question might sound weird. I'm hiring a coder to make an app, and my concern is when users download the app from their mobile device to their computer to view the source code (and thus copy the app and make it better, or do other damages).

when I, or anyone, buys an app from the app store, whether it be itunes, or android, can the buyer look at the source code of the app?

thanks.

No.

They can try to decompile it, but they'd need to get something to actually understand the mush that comes out. Even then, it's not source code.

From the perspective of web sites, usually the back-end bit - the part that does all the coding, database queries, makes decisions and produces results based on certain criteria - the APP if you like - stays behind the scenes and isn't shown (or is only shown in small parts) on the public front-end and so isn't visible and isn't available for people to steal.

The front-end - what people see on their web browser and the HTML "source" they can view from it - is the end result and is what comes out after all the coding has been run through and the result produced, so it doesn't usually give the game away.

You should also ask the coder whether the resulting code from their work is your property or theirs, or whether you will be using it under license?

Ideally, if you are paying the full cost of development, then you should own the code/app afterwards. If the coder plans to re-use the code or sell the "app" in the marketplace, then you don't want to be paying the full development price.

I'm sure other people with more experience of coding/hiring coders will be able to offer more comprehensive advice.

Cheers,
Shaun :D

From the perspective of web sites, usually the back-end bit - the part that does all the coding, database queries, makes decisions and produces results based on certain criteria - the APP if you like - stays behind the scenes and isn't shown (or is only shown in small parts) on the public front-end and so isn't visible and isn't available for people to steal.

The front-end - what people see on their web browser and the HTML "source" they can view from it - is the end result and is what comes out after all the coding has been run through and the result produced, so it doesn't usually give the game away.

You should also ask the coder whether the resulting code from their work is your property or theirs, or whether you will be using it under license?

Ideally, if you are paying the full cost of development, then you should own the code/app afterwards. If the coder plans to re-use the code or sell the "app" in the marketplace, then you don't want to be paying the full development price.

I'm sure other people with more experience of coding/hiring coders will be able to offer more comprehensive advice.

Cheers,
Shaun :D

I don't think you by websites from an app store...

I am not sure about Apple apps, but Android apps, or most commonly known as .apk files, can be modified, and while some code is visible, the EXACT source code isn't.

Top Bottom