Question about custom user authentication / login

MacDude

I am evaluating XenForo for use as a forum solution for a application community. What I would like to be able to do is have users of my application be able to go to our forum and login using the same username and password they use in the application and show up with the same icon, etc as in the app.

Does XenForo have a way to add a custom authentication mechanism? I can easily add an HTTP request handler on my application server to determine if a username/password is correct then return back user information like username, icon, etc.

If so, does anyone know of a sample or tutorial that covers this topic?

It would likely need to hit my application server every time to make sure its verifying against the most up to date login info and getting the most up to date icons, as both passwords and icons are changeable by the user.

I am evaluating XenForo for use as a forum solution for a application community. What I would like to be able to do is have users of my application be able to go to our forum and login using the same username and password they use in the application and show up with the same icon, etc as in the app.

Does XenForo have a way to add a custom authentication mechanism? I can easily add an HTTP request handler on my application server to determine if a username/password is correct then return back user information like username, icon, etc.

If so, does anyone know of a sample or tutorial that covers this topic?

It would likely need to hit my application server every time to make sure its verifying against the most up to date login info and getting the most up to date icons, as both passwords and icons are changeable by the user.
YES

XenForo can be customized to be used and integrate into other products and services.

There are several modifications already which do this. You can even build your own.

Edit: Here is one of many examples of how you could even build your own if what is already out there is not to your liking

http://xenforo.com/community/resources/xenapi-xenforo-rest-api.902/

Although XenForo alone (without any modifications) has a very flexible system in which you can easily hook into or bridge into.

Top Bottom