Fixed Promoted users are being demoted after a period of inactivity, despite criteria still being valid

Paul B

XenForo moderator
Staff member
I have a user group promotion set up to add members to a group when it's their birthday.
This group just has user title and user name markup, to make it easy to spot when it's a member's birthday.
See this post for details: http://xenforo.com/community/thread...on-a-members-birthday.3170/page-2#post-274811

When the user logs in on their birthday and the User Group Promotions cron runs, they are added to the group.
However, after a period of inactivity, they are demoted and removed from the group, despite being logged in still; i.e. they are still showing in the Members Online Now list.

The next time the User Group Promotions cron runs they are added to the group again.

The cycle continues throughout the day.

I have confirmed that they are added to and removed from the user group by checking in the ACP.

It seems as if another cron task is demoting them, despite the criteria still being valid.
I have run all cron tasks manually to try and trigger the demotion, but I was unable to.

I've already discussed this with Mike & Kier and provided screenshots, etc. so this is just the official bug report.

Just to follow up, the user in question was last seen viewing a thread 26 minutes ago.
The Hourly Clean Up cron has just run as scheduled and the user is still promoted.

I still can't work out what is causing the promotion to be reversed, or why.

OK, found out it's the User Group Promotion cron causing it.

The member has now been inactive for 37 minutes (I changed the online status timeout option to 60 minutes) and the User Group Promotion cron has just run and demoted the user.

I manually run the cron 1 minute later and they were upgraded again.

Manually running the cron does not downgrade them again, so it's very confusing.

I think this might be that the birthday promotion was broken up until the current beta. I'm going to tag this as fixed. Let me know if you notice it in beta 4.

Not the specific bug which this report is for, but birthday criteria still isn't working correctly.

Someone with a birthday of January 27 has just triggered the user group promotion.

I'll see if they also drop in and out of the group while being logged in.

Top Bottom