XF 1.3 Problem importing user "Diör" when there is another called "dior"

imthebest

I'm migrating from vB 3.8 (ISO 8859-1, latin1). On my forum I have a user called "Diör" but also another one called "dior". The importer is having troubles recognizing both users and reports that "dior" is conflicting with a previously imported user. However everything else is being imported perfectly.

If I force the charset to latin1 (instead of leaving it empty) the same problem exists. When the problem disappears is if I set the charset to utf8 but then content of my forum (such as posts and even forum titles) are having strange characters... instead of "ó" I'm getting "A3" (or something like that, just strange characters that I don't know how to enter with my keyboard).

What I can do?

As mentioned elsewhere, this is expected. We have a unique constraint on the username column and MySQL is accent insensitive, so the values are considered the same by it. There's no way around this but to rename one of the users.

It's clear now, thanks for the confirmation.

Just curious, do it means that if someone attempts to register an account called "Diör" (after the migration) the system will tell him that the username is already taken because there is another user called "dior"?

Just curious why in vBulletin 3.8 (ISO 8859-1, latin1) this wasn't a problem? I mean both users "Diör" and "dior" were able to register and are participating without problems. Also when I force the charset in the importer to "utf8" both users are imported correctly, why?

Just curious why in vBulletin 3.8 (ISO 8859-1, latin1) this wasn't a problem? I mean both users "Diör" and "dior" were able to register and are participating without problems. Also when I force the charset in the importer to "utf8" both users are imported correctly, why?

I couldn't give you the technical reasons, as I don't know what they are, but vBulletin and XenForo are two different software platforms and therefore work differently.

Your vB database is probably using latin1_swedish_ci which is accent-sensitive in my testing, unlike utf8_general_ci which XF uses.

Top Bottom