[OzzModz] Private Threads

[OzzModz] Private Threads [Paid] 2.0.6

No permission to buy ($25.00)
This would be useful to me if all members could view but only specified members could post in the thread (roleplay forum). Any chance of this in a future version?
I have an semi-private add-on which does this. Not for XF2 tho :(

But retro-fitting that behaviour into this add-on would be a nightmare due to usability issues, and @Snog should quite rightly reject it.

I'll throw my 2p in; disclaimers are 100% pointless when you are dealing with people and not legal entities.
Most disclaimers are also pointless with legal entities too, since they have experience knowing the actual law or how to use it to make anything you write as a "disclaimer" pointless.

A feature whose only purpose is to cause permanent data loss would not have enough pros to offset the obvious con of "someone's entire site is wiped out, permanently, unless they have a backup".
I've been burnt by not having a robust enough upgrade process for large changes before. So even if the feature doesn't cause permanent data loss, if you can't figure out how to install it without risk of data loss it can often be a good idea to say "nope"

Last edited:
sounds good to me, but if the admin wants to assign roles, then they should be allowed, and I do understand your point 100%, would I ever trust another mod with information that is that sensitive, probably not, now that you mention it, I probably dont need the headache either of constantly have to monitor, then again, they do not need private threads to do something bad, they could just as easily use private conversations. I have enough things to worry about; As long as I dont know what is really going on, then maybe that is for the best anyways, why create more work for me?

I'll throw my 2p in; disclaimers are 100% pointless when you are dealing with people and not legal entities. Sure, you're absolutely right in saying that if the police demands access to the thread you should acquiesce, but what about if it's more about personal embarrassment to one of the members of the site rather than a legal question?

When we as addon developers contemplate adding a feature to a mod, we have to ask ourselves "how can this option be misused? Do the benefits of adding this feature outweigh the potential negatives?"

For instance, let's say you've developed an addon for automatically archiving threads older than X days in the AdminCP. A little bit later, someone says "hey, it would be great if we could give this option to moderators too".

Sounds reasonable enough, and the damage is minimal as the mod would automatically replicate the forum structure in an archive category or whatnot, so if it gets misused you can always just move the threads back and fire that moderator.

Then someone asks for the ability to delete the threads instead of archiving them. Now all of a sudden you have to consider the scenario of someone having enabled the feature for moderators AND enabled the delete option. Undeleting hundreds, if not thousands of threads would be a really time consuming job.

Then, to take it even further, they ask for the ability to hard delete threads. Now you are faced with the possibility of permanent data loss as a result of a misconfiguration either accidentally or by a malicious administrator.

If I was the addon developer, I would reject this feature request unless the majority of users / customers were in support of this feature. Even if I added a million "are you sure, are you really really sure, this is more dangerous than jumping into a sea of hungry lions made of lava" popups, someone would have their forum wiped out. All it takes is one person posting "My forum got wiped out as a result of your mod" and suddenly your reputation as an addon developer is damaged (even if it's only in a small way).

As developers, part of our jobs is to think of worst-case scenarios. How can feature X be exploited? How can it be misused? Is this feature vulnerable to some form of exploit, be it SQL Injection, XSS (cross site scripting) or social engineering?
We have to evaluate the pros and cons of every feature to decide whether it's worth adding.

A feature whose only purpose is to cause permanent data loss would not have enough pros to offset the obvious con of "someone's entire site is wiped out, permanently, unless they have a backup".

----
To bring it back to the actual feature in question here: if it was possible for moderators to implicitly bypass privacy restrictions, the entire addon is vulnerable to a social engineering exploit by simply having a malicious party talk a moderator into revealing something from the private thread that could be used against the participants.

Even if there were no malicious intent, another possible scenario could be that a moderator is friends with someone who's being discussed in a private thread, and feels a stronger sense of duty to their friend than they do to the rules of the site. A forum is, after all, not a job where there's real legal ramifications for breaches of operational security.

Those are two very serious potential outcomes that I thought off as I was writing this post, with no actual serious thought or planning. I'm sure if I, or others who are smarter than me, spent more time thinking of ways this feature could go wrong, more potential problems would arise.

----
This post is not meant as a "callout", I am trying to add a bit more context as to why a developer might reject a given feature. It's not that we're lazy or we don't have perfect vision of how brilliant this feature would be and how we would sell fimto-twen bajillion copies if we just added this feature :p

Fillip

NOTE: For security reasons admins can view all private threads. Moderators can not. Only the original thread starter can make a thread private/public.

Can be also make Private forum, Can add permissions Moderators can view all private threads? As well does admin/mod can make any thread private/public?

Can be also make Private forum, Can add permissions Moderators can view all private threads? As well does admin/mod can make any thread private/public?
You can not make a forum private with this add-on. Forums can be made private with user group permissions directly from XenForo. No add-on is needed for that.

Moderators can not view private threads and that won't be added.

Admins can make any thread private. Moderators can not.

Hi @Snog

I'm very interested and I would like to purchase your plugin but can we display the private threads but put a message instead of the content for external persons?

Can we display private threads by group?

Hi @Snog

I'm very interested and I would like to purchase your plugin but can we display the private threads but put a message instead of the content for external persons?

Can we display private threads by group?
I don't understand what you mean in your first question.

Private threads are by user, not by groups. So, no you can't display them by group.

I don't understand what you mean in your first question.

Private threads are by user, not by groups. So, no you can display them by group.

Do you plan any update for using groups instead of users because I have a lot of members and giving the permissions for each member will be difficult?

Any option to display the forum title but when the member will click on it, it will display a message instead of the content of the thread?

Do you plan any update for using groups instead of users because I have a lot of members and giving the permissions for each member will be difficult?

Any option to display the forum title but when the member will click on it, it will display a message instead of the content of the thread?
I think maybe you don't understand what this add-on does.

User groups can be used to allow people to create a private thread. When the person creates a thread they invite users to the thread and only those users can view it.

User groups are not used to create private threads. Only individual users can be invited into a thread.

Forums are not controlled by this add-on at all. Only threads are. And any private threads that are in a forum are not displayed to people that are not invited to view the threads. So, if there are 20 private threads in a forum and they have only been invited into 1 thread, they will only see 1 thread.

I think maybe you don't understand what this add-on does.

User groups can be used to allow people to create a private thread. When the person creates a thread they invite users to the thread and only those users can view it.

User groups are not used to create private threads. Only individual users can be invited into a thread.

Forums are not controlled by this add-on at all. Only threads are. And any private threads that are in a forum are not displayed to people that are not invited to view the threads. So, if there are 20 private threads in a forum and they have only been invited into 1 thread, they will only see 1 thread.

Ah ok, if I create a thread and invite members, it will work then?

Moderators can not view private threads and that won't be added.

Private threads are by user, not by groups. So, no you can't display them by group.

Do you have any special Reason for not adding user group permissions "Can view Private threads"? as well have permissions Can add members to Private threads.

Please make under consideration for adding user group permissions, Thanks

Last edited:
I understand Snog’s rationale for not adding this feature, although I’d very much like it, too.

It would be inappropriate in certain instances, e.g. the original client didn’t need it, I believe.

In our case, I’m uneasy about any material that, ultimately, cannot be discretely overseen by a moderator. And no, I don’t believe this would be considered snooping, if we were open about that aspect of private threads to the membership.

We run a board in which much of the discretionary power over what is appropriate content and what is not, is passed down to the moderators. Other boards don’t run that way, and the admin takes final decisions on that issue.

So for us, it would be nice to have the option to turn that feature on or off. I’m wondering whether a poll on this might be useful, Snog?

And thanks for all your great add-ons!

Do you have any special Reason for not adding user group permissions "Can view Private threads"? as well have permissions Can add members to Private threads.

Please make under consideration for adding user group permissions, Thanks
I've already stated my reasons for not adding it.

And just because a minority number of users want something does not mean it should or will be added. Two or three people wanting it, is not a majority by any stretch of the imagination.

So for us, it would be nice to have the option to turn that feature on or off. I’m wondering whether a poll on this might be useful, Snog?
Polls are fine when there's a constant flow of people into a thread in a forum. But it's been my experience that far less than 1% of add-on owners participate in polls when they are created concerning an add-on. So, the representation of owners wouldn't be correct or fair.

I rely on direct communication from add-on owners, whether that be by forum posts or PC to establish what will and won't be added. For example there was a request posted for my Advanced Forms add-on recently and I got flooded with PCs on my site saying it was a good idea. So, it will be in the next release.

I am also asked in your site, How to showing participate If thread Participants more than 50 user? Does its showing some user then all other user showing in popup? Example, all like showing in post.

ScreenShot00133.webp

I am also asked in your site, How to showing participate If thread Participants more than 50 user? Does its showing some user then all other user showing in popup? Example, all like showing in post.
It will show all members regardless of the number of members participating.

It will show all member regardless of the number of members participating.

So its will show all user? If have 100 or more user then its will be buggy and are not looking good. I think this should be show all user in popup. I like put a features request, Please make me under consideration for improvement update if you have any chance.

So its will show all user? If have 100 or more user then its will be buggy and are not looking good. I think this should be show all user in popup. I like put a features request, Please make me under consideration for improvement update if you have any chance.
If you have 100 or more users in a private thread, it wouldn't be buggy, but would show a very long list. You should probably consider using a forum with user group permissions for threads that have that many uses involved.

But I will consider your request.

Top Bottom