1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Prefix filter at top of forum

Discussion in 'XenForo Suggestions' started by Mr Lucky, Oct 22, 2014.

1. Mr Lucky

Mr Lucky Well-Known Member

I would like to see the possibility to have a list of thread prefixes at the top of a forum, to make easy filtering by prefix.

Often there may be threads with a certain prefix that are not on the first page, so a list at the top to immediately sort via prefix would be very useful.

Also many users are not eve aware that you can sort by prefix, so if there was a box that not only displays all available prefixes for that forum, but also has the handy instruction: "Filter threads by prefix"

Edit: as Mike pointed out, you can actually do this via the Thread Display Options at the bottom of a forum, but I think that is very well hidden. I didn't even know it was there. I'm looking for something newbie proof and obvious as it's such a useful feature it shouldn't be hidden away like that.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2014
  2. Mike

Mike XenForo Developer Staff Member

I don't see this being at all related to ES. As a matter, a form of what you want already exists. You can filter by prefix at the bottom.

3. Mr Lucky

What is ES?

So it is, yet extremely well hidden behind Thread Display Options. I didn't even know that was there tucked away. Just goes to show how my suggestion would be very useful.

4. Amaury

Amaury Well-Known Member

Enhanced Search.

5. Mr Lucky

No, I suppose it isn't. But it does help you find things.

6. RoldanLT

RoldanLT Well-Known Member

7. Mr Lucky

Thanks, that looks just right.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2014
  8. Rudy

Rudy Well-Known Member

I like the add-on above, to a point. In Resource Manager, there is a drop-down menu to select to filter by prefix. But, that is not present in the main forum. I'd rather see it incorporated similarly--I do not want prefixes cluttering the top of our forums, in other words.

trigatch4 likes this.
  9. Rudy

Rudy Well-Known Member

Oh jeez, I've never seen that! :D I never open that up, as I'm usually on the moderation warpath and need to look at everything! ;)

I'll post this for members. They are also probably not aware this exists.

10. erich37

erich37 Well-Known Member

Last edited: Oct 27, 2014
    shri, trigatch4 and Fuhrmann like this.
  11. Mr Lucky

Exactly! It's very useful but hidden away so most members will not know about it. Hence my request for something that is obvious, intuitive and user friendly.

Fuhrmann likes this.
  12. Brogan

Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member

It can be done with a simple template edit, duplicating the code from the thread_list template and adding it to the forum_view template (or moving it to the top of the thread_list).

upload_2014-10-27_22-4-53.png

The layout and styling would be simple to change, using different classes.

erich37 likes this.
  13. Joe Link

Joe Link Well-Known Member

I'm a little shocked someone hasn't made a simple add-on to do this!

14. Joe Link

Joe Link Well-Known Member

@Brogan if I copy the code from the bottom and put it on the top, is there a way to specify certain nodes to display it?

15. Jeanette

Jeanette Member

I wasn't aware of it either, going to look now but surely top would be easier. @Mr Lucky can we make it darker?

Jx