Prefix Essentials [Deleted]

Option to stop the prefix being shown in tag pages possible?
I will have lot of tags that are prefixes too, hence the query.

I second (third?) that request to have the box not appear in forums that have to pre-fix tags. It would also be nice if it would use the display order from Applications > Thread Prefixes in the ACP to put the tags in a specific order.

Reactions: vij
Option to stop the prefix being shown in tag pages possible?
I will have lot of tags that are prefixes too, hence the query.
@Daniel Hood Would the above quoted feature be something you can add to this addon? I am looking to buy both "Tag Essentials" and "Prefix Essentials" and the ability to prevent certain "prefixes" from appearing in the tag pages would become very important. Appreciate your frank response.

Prefixes for "ease of use" and tags for "search engines". That's the idea. So, many threads would have the prefix and tag set to same name and it would look silly(maybe not?) to have all threads within a particular tag to also have the prefix with same name. Hope I made sense...

Last edited:
Daniel Hood has passed Prefix Essentials over to me as we commissioned it originally and he is retiring from the Xenforo coding scene.
Prefix Essentials is available to purchase again by clicking the Buy Now button at the top and I will provide support here.
Thank you and apologies for the delay in bringing it back for sale.

I second (third?) that request to have the box not appear in forums that have to pre-fix tags. It would also be nice if it would use the display order from Applications > Thread Prefixes in the ACP to put the tags in a specific order.
Can you clarify this request, please? What exactly do you want?

@Daniel Hood Would the above quoted feature be something you can add to this addon? I am looking to buy both "Tag Essentials" and "Prefix Essentials" and the ability to prevent certain "prefixes" from appearing in the tag pages would become very important. Appreciate your frank response.

Prefixes for "ease of use" and tags for "search engines". That's the idea. So, many threads would have the prefix and tag set to same name and it would look silly(maybe not?) to have all threads within a particular tag to also have the prefix with same name. Hope I made sense...
So when creating a thread with a specific prefix, if there is a tag for that prefix, you don't want that tag auto suggested. Is that what you are asking for?

Question:

Within this forum on AV https://www.avforums.com/forums/which-tv-should-i-buy.367/

Let's use the option "Question." The first thread there is Which TV Should I Go For

When I open that thread, the option to filter everything but questions disappears. If I go back it'll be there. If I post?

What if the only thing I wanted to read and talk about there was questions? Would I have to "filter" after every response I make or every thread I start?
The Prefix filtering is not remembered, so you have to apply it each time you return to the thread list. This is standard Xenforo functionality and not part of the functionality of this addon. I'm guessing that you want to 'remember' the prefix filter. Is that correct?
As an alternative, using this addon, you can go to your preferences and choose to ignore all the other prefixes so those threads are not shown in the thread list. That might achieve what you want.

If a forum doesn't have any prefixes available for it, can the empty "Filter Based on Prefix" box be removed from atop the forum?

:)
If there are no prefixes set up for a forum, the filter box doesn't appear. So you're asking about scenarios when thre can be prefixed threads, but aren't, so the prefix buttons won't do anything.
There is an argument for keeping this visible, and it's to stop users from being confused by a lack of filter box. If they are used to seeing it elsewhere, but it's hidden when there are no prefxed threads, then they might wonder where the filter is. Given this, would you still rather hide the filter when there are no prefixed threads?

Since I've been waiting, I get this first year free, right?

The Prefix filtering is not remembered, so you have to apply it each time you return to the thread list

This would be a great addition. It's a football based forum and some don't give a damn about softball, ya know?

@doemasters Add this, please.

Last edited:
This add-on looks great & we're just starting to enjoy it.

In the screenshot below there's a new drop-down this addon throws on the top of the forums listing, this shoves everything down quite a bit & is not visually pleasing (the ability to filter by prefix from here isn't needed either). How can I remove this feature & reclaim this space?

k2x4ozl.png

This add-on looks great & we're just starting to enjoy it.

In the screenshot below there's a new drop-down this addon throws on the top of the forums listing, this shoves everything down quite a bit & is not visually pleasing (the ability to filter by prefix from here isn't needed either). How can I remove this feature & reclaim this space?
You uncheck the tickbox Display prefix group above the node list for filtering for all the prefix groups. I have edited the resource description to add screen shots to show how you do this.

Does this (or any) add-on provide the ability to restrict who can read Topics with certain Prefixes?

It seems like the more a forum is segmented into boards, the more disjointed discussions become. I'd like to have fewer boards, but if I use a certain prefix, I'd like to able to control who can read it and who can't based on User Groups or role.

Does this (or any) add-on provide the ability to restrict who can read Topics with certain Prefixes?

It seems like the more a forum is segmented into boards, the more disjointed discussions become. I'd like to have fewer boards, but if I use a certain prefix, I'd like to able to control who can read it and who can't based on User Groups or role.
There are usergroup permissions to create and reply to threads with specific prefixes. I imagine it wouldn't be a huge job to add a view permission there.

Are you saying that you would add them, or that I should dig in and add them? I'm still not comfortable with Xen's code yet. I do like the ability to toggle who can reply to them, but it seems like a duplicate of locking a topic, still a good feature.

Are you saying that you would add them, or that I should dig in and add them? I'm still not comfortable with Xen's code yet. I do like the ability to toggle who can reply to them, but it seems like a duplicate of locking a topic, still a good feature.
If I get a quote to do the work, would you consider funding it?

Top Bottom