Prefix Actions [Deleted]

Snog

Snog submitted a new resource:

Prefix Actions - Open or close threads by prefix selection

This add-on adds the ability to open or close threads automatically when any prefix is selected.

If the original poster has permission to use a prefix, they can change the prefix at any time and the thread will be open or closed as defined by the thread prefix.

View attachment 103753

This menu selection is added after the edit title time limit has expired.
View attachment 103754

Read more about this resource...

@Snog Thanks for uploading this resource. This add-on has caused a bit of an issue for me with Google indexing.
I believe this add-on creates a template which is viewed on front-end with the URL parameter like forum.com/threads/thread-title.123/edit-prefix
This edit-prefix page is being indexed by Google with a warning that it is blocked for guests. Is there a way to get rid of this edit-prefix page entirely from the forum structure so Google does not crawl it? I don't see the need to edit prefixes using this front-end page, unless this also drives other functions in the add-on.

Any help will be appreciated! Please inform if something can be done. Thanks

@Snog Thanks for uploading this resource. This add-on has caused a bit of an issue for me with Google indexing.
I believe this add-on creates a template which is viewed on front-end with the URL parameter like forum.com/threads/thread-title.123/edit-prefix
This edit-prefix page is being indexed by Google with a warning that it is blocked for guests. Is there a way to get rid of this edit-prefix page entirely from the forum structure so Google does not crawl it? I don't see the need to edit prefixes using this front-end page, unless this also drives other functions in the add-on.

Any help will be appreciated! Please inform if something can be done. Thanks
Check your permissions for the forum. Unregistered users (which Google is) should not even see the Thread Tools menu, which is where that link would be.

@Snog Thanks for replying. Are you talking about user group permissions or is this some global setting? I don't have any Thread Tools permission for Unconfirmed usergroup. Moreover, is this permission set in core XF or add-on permissions?

@Snog Thanks for replying. Are you talking about user group permissions or is this some global setting? I don't have any Thread Tools permission for Unconfirmed usergroup. Moreover, is this permission set in core XF or add-on permissions?
To be honstest I haven't check the exact permissions that might be wrong.

I'd start with the prefixes and make sure the unregistered user group isn't allowed to use them. Then I'd check the forum permissions to be sure they can't edit threads.

I just double checked what activates the Thread Tools menu.

If you allow unregistered users to post threads in the forum in question and you allow the thread prefixes to be used by unregistered users, then the menu will appear. So, with Google, the menu would appear because Google is for all intents and purposes an uregistered user.

The key is not to allow unregistered users to post. The other thing that MAY have happened (and I haven't checked this) is if a user was deleted, any posts by them MAY be labeled as being from user ID 0. That also MIGHT cause the menu to appear IF any prefixes are set where unregistered users can use them.

Last edited:
@Snog Thanks for replying. The issue is not that unconfirmed users can modify the prefix, but rather entering the URL directly in the browser opens a permissions error page and asks users to login to continue for users who do not have permission to modify the prefix. And Google reports these pages, 1 page for every thread as an error due to permissions. Just like the conversation URLs or profile settings pages are NOT even visible to the public, these edit-prefix URLs should not be accessible by directly entering in the browser. I am not sure how it works technically but Google does not report errors for conversation URLs or Profile Settings page URLs.

I guess the easier fix would be to try and block this URL parameter using robots.txt so Google does not even look at these.
If anyone else is wondering, I just added this line to robots.txt to disallow crawling by Google:

Disallow: */edit-prefix

That will work, but the question remains, how did google get the link if it doesn't appear to unregistered users (and thus not to Google)? Google had to get it from somewhere, it just doesn't create links on it's own. At some point in time, the link had to appear for Google to try to parse it.

I've been using the prefix add-on since it's release and that link has never appeared for my site in any reports or searches.

I really have no idea, unconfirmed users never had any permissions except viewing threads, nodes and media albums and media items.

I can't seem to get this to show up under Thread Tools. Does it take into account the time limit of being able to edit the thread title?

@viper357 I don't think this shows up separately, Thread Tools > Edit Thread > Change the Prefix. If user had permission to change prefix, automatically they have permission to use this feature.

Which prefix will close the thread - that setting is in the prefix setting itself in admin cp.

Thanks, but according to the Overview it says the link shows up after the Editing Time Limit has lapsed? But after the time limit has lapsed the users can no longer Edit Thread? So I'm not sure how this mod works exactly? I've tried by testing the permissions of a user from the admincp but nothing shows up, no Edit Thread and no Change Prefix link.

Sorry I missed that part. Can the user visit a URL which is this structure: www. forum.com/threads/thread-title.123/edit-prefix ? I have never seen a separate link to edit prefix, didn't know users without permission to edit thread (or permission elapsed) could still edit the thread prefix.

The 'Change Thread Prefix' link in Thread Tools only shows up for regular members and only after the 'Time limit on editing/deleting own posts (minutes)' time limit has expired.

The link does not show up for Administrators or Moderators that automatically have the ability to use 'Edit Thread' link in Thread Tools.

The 'Change Thread Prefix' link in Thread Tools only shows up for regular members and opnly after the 'Edit Title' time limit has expired.
Thanks, is it specific to the Registered users usergroup only? I have my users promoted into a different usergroup, maybe that is why it is not working?

If I log in as a user using the Test Permissions from admincp will I be able to see the link in Thread Tools?

Yes it is specific to registered users.

If you are promoting users to different user groups, their primary group should still be registered users. And groups they are promoted to should be additional user groups to the registered user group. If you are changing their primary user group, then you aren't using the XF user group system properly. See this...
https://xenforo.com/community/resources/implementing-permissions-across-multiple-user-groups.358/

If you have specifically revoked the edit time limit for any user group the member belongs to, then the link will never appear because the registered group will no longer have the time limit enforced.

No, the test permissions funtion will not work for this addon.

Very useful modification. I just have a suggestion. Instead of just closing or reopening the thread, it could be useful to also move the thread to a specific forum after closing or reopening the thread. For example for recruitement threads for clans.
Its just a thought.

This seems great! Just spotted it. Will use for a classifieds forum.

One question: Has anyone tried this with XF 1.5.8? Does it work as expected?

Thanks!

It does works, but i did notice that when you change it from the forum list, you need to refresh before you see the lock icon.
When you change it when viewing the thread you see the changes instantly.

Top Bottom