XF 2.2 Posts marking as read slow

thenashy

One of my users has found an odd issue that I'm hoping someone has come across before. It's a little nit picky too I guess. It doesn't seem to happen here, so likely something I've done.

When loading a post from "What's New", and then loading the page, then quickly hitting "New Posts" again, the post just loaded prior is still there indicated as having a new post.

It looks like it's loading the new post of each page, IE;

Click New Posts
Click Thread and load thread the first unread
Click New Posts
Click same thread and it loads the first post of the next unread page (This repeats until it gets to the last page)

Threads where I read the last post of the thread are marked as read correctly sometimes. I just loaded one where the final post loaded, and clicking new posts showed the thread there, but the new post indicator was off.

It's all a bit of a mess, we can't pin point when it started happening, but thought we'd ask here before we start disabling stuff and troubleshooting.

Have just had the issue occur on this board too. Loading a thread I've not read, will load the first post. Clicking new posts, the same thread will still be there, but keeps going to the first post. If I view the second page, it still remains in New Posts, and loads to the first post.

I haven't worked out why some threads do this, and others will move to the first post on the next page. I've reached out to a few users and they think this is a recent change. Is this normal, or are we just being dumb?

Click New Posts
Click Thread and load thread the first unread
Click New Posts
Click same thread and it loads the first post of the next unread page (This repeats until it gets to the last page)
This explanation sounds normal to me. We only mark the posts you've (potentially) seen as read, so that means when you view a page, all of those posts will be considered read, but subsequent pages only get marked when you visit them. So going page 1, 2, 3... each time you go into the thread would be expected.

Otherwise, if a thread you've fully read is still showing up as unread (bold), then there may be some sort of caching involved. In terms of clicking "new posts", as a registered user, we will reuse a cached result for 5 seconds, so if your new posts-click thread-new posts loop took less than 5 seconds, you would be given the same result set as before. (Side note: guests get this caching for 45 seconds.) It seems quite difficult to potentially run into that in actual use though.

Top Bottom