Post Ratings - taking likes to the next level [Deleted]

We get quite a few people giving negative ratings "by accident".

Would it be possible to implement a confirmation overlay just for negative ratings?

Yes, that's also my concern how if someone gives negative ratings by accident, can we erase it or cancel from admin/ moderator side?

is there a way/place to see the posts/threads with the most ratings? i'd love to see what my users are liking/disliking, or what post ratings they are using the most.

Have you got a "Thank you" icon somewhere?
Please let me have it, mine ruined the nice line of your icons.
Just been looking for the same thing :) I thought it would be a rather obvious icon to include because it saves people writing "thank yous" all over the place. I do understand adding icons to Post Ratings is pretty simple but what to use for a "thank you" icon and still keep it neat?

how to display all rating of a thread on thread lists and it displayed below class="titleText".

02-09-2013 10-53-38 CH.webp

Thanks

Luke we have quite a serious problem having imported from vB thanks into post ratings.
The Applications -> Post Ratings -> Recount function is timing out the server.
We have 1.5 million ratings to rebuild.
We have changed server settings, but it is still timing out.
This is holding up our beta testing. Is there anything you can do to optimise the rebuild process to avoid this problem please? Would be extremely grateful if you could give this urgent attention.
Many thanks.

Last edited:
Is there a way to disable ratings for the first post and only display them for the posts that follow? I just want to display the 'Thumbs up' option for the first post.

Last edited:
I can't install Post Ratings : 502 Bad Gateway
I disabled all Addons, but still I can't install.
ver.1.2.1

Last edited:
Any idea what this means? When I click Ratings Given on my profile page, I get this error:
GLFPX6k.png

Luke we have quite a serious problem having imported from vB thanks into post ratings.
The Applications -> Post Ratings -> Recount function is timing out the server.
We have 1.5 million ratings to rebuild.
We have changed server settings, but it is still timing out.
This is holding up our beta testing. Is there anything you can do to optimise the rebuild process to avoid this problem please? Would be extremely grateful if you could give this urgent attention.
Many thanks.

If you have a 'like rating' set in the post ratings options, then firstly do a fresh import from vb thanks in case any ratings have been converted to likes already. Then set 'like rating' to 'disabled'.

Then just run these queries against your database - they are the equivalent to running recount ratings with 'like rating' disabled:

Code:
truncate table dark_postrating_count

Code:
insert into dark_postrating_count
(user_id, rating, count_received) (
    SELECT rated_user_id, rating, count(*) as count_received
    FROM dark_postrating
    inner join xf_post on dark_postrating.post_id = xf_post.post_id
    where rated_user_id is not null and rated_user_id > 0 and xf_post.message_state = 'visible'
    group by rated_user_id, rating
) on duplicate key update dark_postrating_count.count_received = values(count_received)

Code:
(user_id, rating, count_given) (
    SELECT dark_postrating.user_id, rating, count(*) as count_given
    FROM dark_postrating
    where xf_post.message_state = 'visible'
    group by dark_postrating.user_id, rating
) on duplicate key update dark_postrating_count.count_given = values(count_given)

The latter two queries could take several minutes to complete on larger databases

And re-enabling the like rating at the end will then give us the correct numbers?

You shouldn't re-enable it, as the ratings can only be converted back to XF-style likes if the recount ratings script completes successfully.

There won't be any adverse effects from leaving it on 'disabled', as your system will have no legacy XF likes.

I'm sorry Luke, I'm completely confused. What setting do you mean? What does it do? And what should I set it to?

If you mean the top option Like Rating, if it's disabled, what will happen to the likes delivered from other addons like Showcase etc.?
I was under the impression that they got counted as likes in the post rating counters.

[Edit - and it still timed out, in any case. Going to need to optimise the sql statement(s)]

Last edited:
Sorry if this question has been asked, I didn't see it anywhere...

Is there a way to disable negative ratings being available on certain usergroup posts (admin/supermod for instance)? Don't want a bunch of troll users to negatively rate all of our administrator posts to be funny, but would still like to leave the option for non-admin usergroups to have their posts rated.

Also, a feature request would be to hide posts based on a percentage of negative ratings rather than a flat value.

If you have a 'like rating' set in the post ratings options, then firstly do a fresh import from vb thanks in case any ratings have been converted to likes already. Then set 'like rating' to 'disabled'.

Then just run these queries against your database - they are the equivalent to running recount ratings with 'like rating' disabled:

Code:
truncate table dark_postrating_count

Code:
(user_id, rating, count_received) (
    SELECT rated_user_id, rating, count(*) as count_received
    FROM dark_postrating
    where rated_user_id is not null and rated_user_id > 0 and xf_post.message_state = 'visible'
    group by rated_user_id, rating
) on duplicate key update dark_postrating_count.count_received = values(count_received)

Code:
(user_id, rating, count_given) (
    SELECT dark_postrating.user_id, rating, count(*) as count_given
    FROM dark_postrating
    where xf_post.message_state = 'visible'
    group by dark_postrating.user_id, rating
) on duplicate key update dark_postrating_count.count_given = values(count_given)

The latter two queries could take several minutes to complete on larger databases
Jake ran these queries for me last night and they worked, many thanks.
So my question remains about likes from other addons in the system. How does the post ratings system deal with those?

Jake ran these queries for me last night and they worked, many thanks.
So my question remains about likes from other addons in the system. How does the post ratings system deal with those?

Unfortunately they wouldn't be included in any totals with the like rating disabled

Your best bet if your server cannot be reconfigured to force the recount script to run correctly would be to re-enable the like rating after running the queries. This would essentially get you the best of both worlds and you shouldn't have any issues.

Have you got a "Thank you" icon somewhere?
Please let me have it, mine ruined the nice line of your icons.

Refer to http://p.yusukekamiyamane.com/ and http://famfamfam.com/lab/icons/silk/ for matching icons

How do I move the ratings received to the bottom of the user info area?

Assuming another addon is providing the last field, you would need to enable debug mode then go to admin cp > development > code event listeners > template_hook under Post Ratings and try increasing/decreasing 'callback execution order'

is there a way/place to see the posts/threads with the most ratings? i'd love to see what my users are liking/disliking, or what post ratings they are using the most.

Not currently but I'm planning something like that for the future

Is there a way to disable ratings for the first post and only display them for the posts that follow? I just want to display the 'Thumbs up' option for the first post.

You could do this with template edits, but there is no built in way

I can't install Post Ratings : 502 Bad Gateway
I disabled all Addons, but still I can't install.
ver.1.2.1

Are there any errors logged in either the XF error log or your server's error log?

Any idea what this means? When I click Ratings Given on my profile page, I get this error:
GLFPX6k.png

What is your 'like rating' option set to?
Have you tried running recount ratings in the admin cp?

Sorry if this question has been asked, I didn't see it anywhere...

Is there a way to disable negative ratings being available on certain usergroup posts (admin/supermod for instance)? Don't want a bunch of troll users to negatively rate all of our administrator posts to be funny, but would still like to leave the option for non-admin usergroups to have their posts rated.

Also, a feature request would be to hide posts based on a percentage of negative ratings rather than a flat value.

Currently there's no built in functionality for this, but you could semi-prevent negative ratings on certain usergroups by template edits

And noted the feature request :)

Thanks Luke. Meanwhile can that recount process be optimised or paginated at all?

It's something I might do in the future, but there's really not much that it does that can't be done with the sql queries, apart from the (unnecessary) like rating -> xf like conversion

Top Bottom