Pokécharms

Teapot

After seven months of development (and me learning PHP!) we finally switched our 10-year-old Pokémon site Pokécharms from the mishmash collection of Joomla, phpBB, and a couple of other custom-coded applications to pure XenForo.

The advantages are numerous and extremely well-documented around here, but perhaps the Daily Statistics is the best way to summarise what XenForo has done for us:
Screen Shot 2013-10-07 at 09.05.46.webp
Activity all over the site - not just on the forums - is up, not least because of the infinitely more accessible (and fun!) user interface XenForo gives us, as well as a collection of new features and the impending release of the new Pokémon games on the 12th.

We've got a few bespoke features, including the Trainer Card Maker, a graphics generator used to generate "trainer cards", like this:

This feature is incredibly popular and generally causes most of the traffic we get.

We've also got a new feature, the Creative Corner, which is an integrated artwork and written work gallery system that is barebones at the moment, but will gradually be expanded to provide a gallery with particular emphasis on artists and writers.

We also have a Cryptidex, which is our brand of Pokédex that's basically a jazzed up forum. :D It has proved popular, though, which proves you don't always need fancy custom applications to get the job done.

Now, despite the site being not exactly a default XenForo install, we don't actually use that many add-ons, which is really a testament to how featureful XenForo 1.2 is:

Screen Shot 2013-10-07 at 09.12.11.webp

We've got 7,800 discussions, 180,750 messages, and 44,000 members, as well as over 37,000 trainer cards and 143 creative works created since September 4th, so although we're not nearly gunning for any big forum lists, we have a small, committed, and active community. And now we're running the finest web platform in the world, so it's only upwards from here.

So, I literally just finished Pokémon X -- and it was fantastic and saw it so decided to check your site out. The header navigation items on hover have the default separator on them and they decided to cut off text:
Screen Shot 2013-10-24 at 1.37.25 AM.webp

Other than that, I think it looks really good. Personally, I would "dim" the background a bit, its a bit busy for me, but still looks good.

After seven months of development (and me learning PHP!) we finally switched our 10-year-old Pokémon site Pokécharms from the mishmash collection of Joomla, phpBB, and a couple of other custom-coded applications to pure XenForo.

The advantages are numerous and extremely well-documented around here, but perhaps the Daily Statistics is the best way to summarise what XenForo has done for us:
View attachment 58387
Activity all over the site - not just on the forums - is up

Awesome to see some long term stats coming through :) Great work on the Style and also the attention to your project that is one very healthy project :)

Regards, Darren

Love the XenPorta HomePage.
Cool create your own Trainer card ... good job.

upload_2013-10-25_9-51-27.webp

I like black text. Did you make the text Dark Grey for asthetics ?
On this crappy Acer monitor it doesn't look as nice.

upload_2013-10-25_9-52-37.webp
The trainer card text is even lighter.

I'll be getting this for the DS for my son :)

Top Bottom