1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Please help me choose server specs to purchase for this forum stats.

Discussion in 'Server Configuration and Hosting' started by RoldanLT, Mar 26, 2013.

1. RoldanLT

RoldanLT Well-Known Member

2. craigiri

craigiri Well-Known Member

Maybe they can help you with that?

Based on your traffic, I would usually suggest at least a dedicated single server - or the VPS equivalent.

If you expect traffic to stay in the same basic ballpark, I would want:

16 GB Ram
    Full use of newer Quadcore Xeon CPU or better
    SSD if you favor faster drives......

Maybe your hosts can translate that into their cloud servers!
    RoldanLT likes this.
  3. RoldanLT

$200+ per month. Whoa! :(
  4. craigiri

If you are not making 2K or more per month in sponsors, you need to hire me!

In fact, if you are not making 50K per year from that forum, you are doing something wrong!
  5. RoldanLT

Yes I don't :(

That's not possible on my current revenue.
    That's to big.
  6. craigiri

You have to study the results from your google ads and perhaps put them in better places.....

maybe you need to NOT remove the ads for your signed-in members as much???

I show all ads to all visitors - except that guests see an ad after the post (DP add-on). Other than that, all my members see the same as the guests.

Other than that, you need to find sponsors who want to reach your particular community and sell them sponsorships. These will usually bring in 3 to 5X as much as google ads.
    RoldanLT likes this.
  7. RoldanLT

70% of ads is hidden for Members.
    I'm starting now to offer advertisement directly.
  8. craigiri

You could probably get by with 1/2 the RAM I mentioned. I am using 8GB and serving almost as many pages as you are. But I think you still need a 4-core CPU if possible.....

But, yeah, I'm paying $320 a month for my server - which is in the mid-range of a dedicated server. Mine is managed, so I get tech support, etc.
    RoldanLT likes this.
  9. Ghan_04

Ghan_04 Active Member

There's no way you need a dedicated box for that traffic. Look at your RAM usage you posted right now. You're not even actively using 1 GB of RAM. Most of what you have is going toward caching. A 2 GB VPS properly configured and optimized should be more than enough for your setup.
  10. RoldanLT

11. hellreturn

hellreturn Active Member

That's too much for 8GB RAM machine.
  12. craigiri

Not so. You get what you pay for. I have EMC backup and a lot of other things which are often not included.

I have not been down for one day total in over 10 years. There has never been a single problem my ISP could not fix, even stuff other "experts" had no clue about.

I understand folks taking the low cost route, but if you make $$$ from your site and the server cost is negligible in relation to that, what you want are no stories.....

If you look at the dedicated pricing out there - not the bargain basement - but the serious ISP's who maintain a proper facility and have been in business for many years, you will see that is mid-range. I also get my content moved at no charge when I upgrade/move - something which often takes many hours.

As far as RAM use, Ghan is probably correct but I run out fast serving fewer page views that that. My db is larger (more posts) and I use ES, which takes up 3G by itself in my case.

Also, with such a well trafficked forum, an admin may want to think ahead a bit if it's not too costly.

In my case I use virtually 100% of my ram. (8G). Site gets 90,000 page views in a busy day.
    I also keep my server load very low - almost always under 1.

So it's a question of whether you want to stretch the limits.....

In the case of the OP, I would ask the host...especially if they are already doing it! They know what you should need...based on their offerings.

On the dedicated managed issue - I checked out Rackspace, a serious vendor - they appear to start at about $800 a month!

Liquid Web seems to go from $200 to $500....+++

Can you get a $99 dedicated server? Maybe. Do you want one? Probably not....
    RoldanLT likes this.
  13. RoldanLT

So, you're on: Liquid Web seems to go from $200 to $500....+++ ?
  14. craigiri

That's a lot of pages!

Still, something seems off there......

Your stats would say that each user looks at 25+ pages, almost an impossibly high number!

Maybe one of your chat programs or other add-ons does a refresh?

You should set up google analytics....so you can follow along.
  15. craigiri

No, I use a local guy....I was just comparing prices!

My ISP is more into corporate email and enterprise servers...he really doesn't do a lot of regular web hosting.

Your site is working pretty well for me from the east coast. Have you been running into problems with memory?
    RoldanLT likes this.
  16. The Forum Heroes

The Forum Heroes Well-Known Member

We host a few forums with around those numbers on our unadvertised big board package for 89.00 a month. Our big board package is on a separate server then our other packages and we assign dedicated CPU and RAM that only your account can use rather then the equal share on our other servers. Feel free to PM me to discuss this more.
    RoldanLT likes this.
  17. RoldanLT

Yes, I always encounter exceed memory limit when running heavy script.
    Like generating sitemap.