1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PHP 5 OOP?

Discussion in 'XenForo Pre-Sales Questions' started by Vincent Gabriel, Aug 15, 2010.

1. Vincent Gabriel

Vincent Gabriel Active Member

Hi,

I read the Q&A and saw that you will be using PHP 5 but will the structure of the files look like the VBulletin one or an actual OOP design?

2. Disjunto

Disjunto Well-Known Member

3. Vincent Gabriel

Great! The only reason i never used and coded for VBulletin was it's horrible file structure and coding standards.

4. Shamil

Shamil Well-Known Member

It was ok, until vB 4

5. Mert

Mert Well-Known Member

Actually vBulletin code is pretty outdated for the last 3-4 years. vBulletin needed a full rewrite immediately after vB3.6 version.

GodForum.com likes this.
  6. Shamil

Shamil Well-Known Member

I agree it was outdated, but still workable
    On a minimal level.

7. Vincent Gabriel

Last time i used it was on 3.6 i think and it was still with the same structure. showforum.php, showthread.php, search.php. I remember they were still using $GLOBALS and other kind of outdated cr*p.

8. Vincent Gabriel

PS

I hope the staff will try and provide as much development resources as possible for the people who will actually contribute. Some software's completely ignore the developers.

9. Peggy

Peggy Well-Known Member

I think it's safe to say that Kier and Mike most definitely have kept add-on developers in mind. ;)

Vincent Gabriel likes this.
  10. Hauzer

Hauzer Member

Yeah, I agree. vBulletin at the moment keep upgrading their version constantly and I can't keep up with the style changes. :(

11. Vincent Gabriel

IPB offers a lot for the developers, From a complete documentation to tutorials example and most importantly good PhpDoc Comments in the sources files.

12. Floris

Floris Guest

XF will use a lot of files, but with APC cache you will benefit a lot.

13. Vincent Gabriel

As longs as everything is documented we can work this out.

14. Shamil

Shamil Well-Known Member

Documentation will be sorted out in due course.

15. Floris

Floris Guest

Got a link to the confirmation post of this?

16. Shamil

Shamil Well-Known Member

I shall rephrase what I should have said:

"I assume documentation will be sorted out in due course."

17. Floris

Floris Guest

It would indeed surprise me if there won't be any documentation. I assume the same.

18. Shamil

Shamil Well-Known Member

Indeed, the least I expect is developer documentation. From the looks of things, working without documentation appears easy, but might still be complementary in some areas.

19. Vincent Gabriel

From my experience working without proper documentation leads to unnecessary and repetitive code. And the development time increases.

20. Shamil

Shamil Well-Known Member

Like stated previously, we doubt there won't be any documentation down the line. :)