1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Permissions ... ?

Discussion in 'XenForo Questions and Support' started by onyxchase, Feb 19, 2011.

1. onyxchase

onyxchase Active Member

Hello. I'm a tad bit confused as to the Moderator/Admins permissions. It looks like there is are Usergroups for Moderating and Administrative, but when I assign someone in either of those groups they don't even show up in Moderators or Administrators.. In fact, my Moderators show up in the Administrators tab?? HUH... Sorry I'm just a bit confused, why is there two permissions for the same thing..

2. Brogan

Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member

3. onyxchase

onyxchase Active Member

I'm still confused... Let's say I want to add a moderator...

I add them in the Moderators panel, and configure all their permissions. But then it asks me if I want to add them to the Moderating usergroup which also has the same permissions? Why bother with a usergroup permission if you have to set the moderator permission of each moderator?

4. Jake Bunce

Jake Bunce XenForo Moderator Staff Member

Mod permissions can be granted per user or per group. You have the choice.

5. onyxchase

onyxchase Active Member

But what I don't understand is if I put them in just the moderator usergroup they show up in the Administrators panel...

6. onyxchase

onyxchase Active Member

Nevermind I think I had both set to user moderator and usergroup moderator. Anyhow... LOL This was confusing

7. Ryan Kent

Ryan Kent Well-Known Member

I had a different type of permissions question. Is there a way to list all users assigned to a certain Group Permissions template? Like if I want a list of all Moderators or all Administrators? I know if I do some digging I could go into the database and make a query, but hoping this might be available through the GUI

8. Brogan

Clicking on Administrators or Moderators in the ACP will list them.
    Is that what you mean?

9. Ryan Kent

no, an admin can assign any user with Moderator group permissions, even though that user is not listed as a Moderator in the ACP. I believe you referred to this setup in another post as "secret" moderator or something. Basically I would like to audit permissions every so often to ensure my site is reasonably secure. I hope this makes sense.

10. Mike

Mike XenForo Developer Staff Member

You can search users by the group they belong to. Users -> Search for Users

Oracle likes this.
  11. Brogan

Clicking on Users -> User Permissions and it will list all users with custom permissions.

12. Ryan Kent

that's it! perfect!

I must say the more I work with this XF software, the more I love how it works. Now if only you guys built cars...