PC for PM - confusing terminology?

CTXMedia

Does anyone else find it confusing that PC (personal conversation) has replaced the age-old, but familiar PM (private message)?

On an I.T. or computing forum it could become even more confusing sending a PC about a PC!!! What does it mean if someone needs PC support?

I know the new PM system groups messages into conversations, but couldn't we still call it Private Messaging?

Just a thought.

Cheers,
Shaun :D

Could always call it a Personal Discussion or Private Discussion, instead. I might go in and change some phrases around for that reason.

There have a been a few discussions about this.

Essentially though it's fairly simple to change it by editing a few phrases if you don't like the current terminology.

No I don't find it confusing at all. It's a private conversation, in that you can have several different people join the discussion.

A pm is just that - a message.

I like the pc concept much better - including the name.

No I don't find it confusing at all. It's a private conversation, in that you can have several different people join the discussion.

Everything Peggy said.

New software, a new way to describe things and title them to reflect the way they function.

People are used to PM and I think that most admins will stick with it. Until a minute ago, I didn't even know the meaning of "PC". xD

You also don't appear to run an IT forum where PC means Personal Computer. Either way, we have the flexibility of the phrase system to change it to what we individually prefer.

You also don't appear to run an IT forum where PC means Personal Computer. Either way, we have the flexibility of the phrase system to change it to what we individually prefer.

Two word abbreviations no matter how they are conveyed can stand for anything. It wouldn't matter which characters are used you would always find a meaning into that abbreviation it's human nature.

Two word abbreviations no matter how they are conveyed can stand for anything. It wouldn't matter which characters are used you would always find a meaning into that abbreviation it's human nature.
I agree. But the niche of the forum can and probably will influence that. Regardless, I'm not voting to change it or anything. As I've stated before, we have the ability to edit phrases for that :)

Yes I find it confusing, and given I have been using a similar system on IPB for 2 years, it has never really taken off calling it a PC, it is still a PM or message to most people.

Well of course I don't, but then you (and just about everyone) already knew this. :) However, anyone who has owned a computer for any length of time would undoubtedly know that PC stands for personal computer. One does not need to be in the IT industry to know this.

That said, PC is probably short for alot of phrases. So is PM - Prime minister, Precut meat (in the deli industry), and so forth.

The point is, the phrases are easily edited in one's own acp. :)

If you guys don't like "Conversations".
How could you even stand "Messages". Which are actually "Posts"
posts-not-messages-jpg.7483

well sometimes.

profile-postings-needs-to-be-changed-to-messages-jpg.7484

More here: http://xenforo.com/community/threads/post-counts.32/

I think with the way Kier, Mike and Ashley will take the forum industry by storm over the next 4-5 years, everyone will be calling it PC and wondering what a PM was/is.
eek.png

Jamie

Top Bottom