Paypal Here... Wow

It's a bit of an interm solution in my opinion. In a couple years, RFID will probably be built into all new cell phones... Means just having your cell phone on you could be used for all sorts of things... unlocking doors as you walk up to it, paying for stuff just by having your phone on you (probably would be setup to require a PIN you enter on your phone for that), etc. You would just end up linking your credit card/debit account to your phone (or to PayPal, which has an app that runs on your phone)... the amount you are paying pops up on your phone, you enter your PIN on your phone, and boom... transaction done. You bought your coffee or whatever.

It's a bit of an interm solution in my opinion. In a couple years, RFID will probably be built into all new cell phones...
Definitely.
But there will always be potential customers without an RFID cellphone ... so you'll have to use this as a backup for some time to come.
Or what if someone's cell phone ran out of batteries ? Do you charge their cell phone so they can pay ? :)
I definitely think paying via cell phones will be the future.

Now, if you really want to go crazy, just implant an RFID chip in yourself...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microchip_implant_(human)

rfid_implant.jpg

Eventually carrying around devices will be considered "burdensome" and for "safety" reasons everyone will implant RFID chips in their bodies. And then well ... we all know what happens after that. We are all plugged into a "Defense Network" that helps protect us ... the computers that run it become self-aware and when we try to shut off the computers Skynet attempts to kill us all to protect itself.
skynet-terminator-assault.jpg

It opens possibilities for small businesses. Its the kind of thing my landscaper or pool service could use. Far more convenient than checks, which is what they do now. The 2.5% transaction fee is offset by instant access to the funds rather than waiting three days for a check to clear worst case or for the next overnight cycle at best case.

It looks like they're following in the footsteps of Square. Interesting how Paypal's transaction fee is 0.05% less than Square's too.

I've been wanting to get this for a while, however Square only works with US bank accounts and there's nothing like it (that I know of anyway) in the UK yet. Although there are a couple of European companies who are trying to launch over here.

In the end I had to settle with getting a mobile GPRS terminal that works with a mobile phone sim. The rates are less at about 20p per transaction flat fee on debit cards, 2.5% on credit cards, plus it has chip and pin which gives customers piece of mind, however it's £30 a month.

It's a bit of an interm solution in my opinion. In a couple years, RFID will probably be built into all new cell phones...
How would RFID allow you to accept credit cards though? You still need a reader... being Paypal Here is a reader. Instead of scanning, sure... the little input is just tiny to read the signal from the device, but you would still need a receiving device that is putting the money into your bank account, would you not?

I found this interesting the other night...

http://au.news.yahoo.com/today-toni...ics/article/-/11285412/the-mobile-revolution/

One really cool thing I watched the other night was the extension of the park4u system and placing it onto your iphone for external parking into tight spaces, so you have the best vantage point of parking your own car... all by mobile phone. Just awesome IMHO: http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-13745_7-20105958-10310244/valeo-demonstrates-parking-by-iphone/

I've been seeing a lot of adoption of this "PayPal Here" use. Foot Locker in my area is using them. I wondered why, and now seeing this thread... I know why!

While this is neat, it also makes it harder to move away from PayPal. There are many reasons why people want to move away from it, but unfortunately there's very few if any options that are global, easy to use, and accepted as "safe"–a thing PayPal has solidified in many people's minds (if it's not PayPal, it's not safe).

Top Bottom