[OzzModz] XFOptimize - Minify, Preconnect & Preload [Deleted]

Nulumia

Nulumia submitted a new resource:

XFOptimize - Minify, Preconnect & Preload - Speed up your Xenforo forum with powerful minification options! Compress HTML, CSS & JS

xenforo-2-addon-xfoptimize-xenforo-minify-preconnect-preload-faster-pages.jpg

XFOptimize speeds up your Xenforo forum and delivers pages faster, thanks to its powerful minification, preconnect and preloading features. By optimizing the page load process, you can shave precious time and improve your page speed scoring via Google or other services.

Features:
  • Minify & compress HTML, inline CSS and JS
  • Change...

Read more about this resource...

Is there a demo site running XFOptimize?
Thanks for asking, unfortunately not at this time and I would only do so to demonstrate the addon settings, as the actual effects of the addon would be hard to demonstrate by a demo site.

I'll keep in mind setting up an admin testing area for this and other addons! If you have other questions about the addon, let me know! :-)

Interesting. On the watch list.
Or I may even buy it just to do some benchmarking and general testing.

Too bad, the best advertisement for your addon would have been to test a site using your addon on https://pagespeed.web.dev/
Reading the presentation it looks very promising, and could seriously compete with AMPXF.
I'm definitely interested in doing this! Right now while a beta phase continues (this addon has been in private release for a while), features will be tweaked according to any feedback and addressing user requests & suggestions. At that point I'd definitely like to set up a before and after link.

At the very least, I will be posting some before/after screenshots from Lighthouse on a few live websites.

Our website currently has a mobile/desktop lighthouse score of 93/100.

Interested to see if we can surpass that mobile score...

Interesting. On the watch list.
Or I may even buy it just to do some benchmarking and general testing.
Thank you, feel free to watch right now during the beta phase, though I will likely increase the price after once more features are built up. Right now the three core features of the addon are Minify, Preconnect & Preload.

There's other features I'm personally working on, such as an asset scanner to find unnecessary loaded LESS templates or bloated files. One of the main questions I know people will have are:

1. Will there be AMP feature
I've worked with AddonsLab's AMPFX and it's a fantastic addon, and would itself be far outside the scope of this addon, not to mention they do two very different things. So the answer here would be no. Will it support and run with AMPFX? Yes. The same explanation here also applies to my unreleased SEO & Index Tools addon, which originally I considered adding AMP.

2. Will there be a built-in image optimizer
Maybe & hopefully. I know that image optimizer addons are in the $10 price range (ThemeHouse's for example), which is already half the price of the intended final price of this addon at $20. So I'll have to consider bundling or splitting up these if that features comes along.

Our website currently has a mobile/desktop lighthouse score of 93/100.

Interested to see if we can surpass that mobile score...
I recently worked with a client site that was very bloated and needed a ton of manual optimization to get anywhere near that. That being said, if you have those type of scores, your website is either A. Very lightweight or B. Very well optimized already if it's a "heavy" website.

This addon was designed and used to take those sites into the 97-100 range and addressed very specific needs which they needed to do so.

My thoughts for your case would be, does your site have a lot of external assets (such as scripts), and lots of large attachments? Those are two specific things addressed by this addon, with minification, preconnecting and preloading assets.

I currently have a score of 76.

I am impatiently awaiting XF2.2.8 to see if they have integrated webp, because this is one of the reasons for the drop in my score, jpegs and pngs drastically reduce the score, especially that my home page has a lot of them with 4 carousels of images.

But I guess that won't be enough to hit 98 as I get in PC mode. I am still tempted to test this add-on...

I currently have a score of 76.

I am impatiently awaiting XF2.2.8 to see if they have integrated webp, because this is one of the reasons for the drop in my score, jpegs and pngs drastically reduce the score, especially that my home page has a lot of them with 4 carousels of images.

But I guess that won't be enough to hit 98 as I get in PC mode. I am still tempted to test this add-on...
One feature of this addon which can help on mobile, is the ability to replace attachment-based images with their thumbnails via the srcset attribute. This definitely helped on several test/client sites. However, as noted within the addon you'd want your attachment thumbnail size to be close to the responsiveNarrow width in Xenforo.. around 400-500px. This way the swapped-in thumbnail image will look clear on small devices.

However this feature won't affect desktop scores 😛

Just appended "Recommended with.." addons to the main page. I highly suggest GA-Lite, Read More Buttons and Kirby's Font Awesome Manager.

Also appended this FAQ:

Q: How do I know the minify is working?
A: Before enabling minify, right click anywhere on your site and select "View page source". It should appear as many hundreds of lines of HTML code.

After enabling, select "View page source again". Your page source should now only be a single line of code!

as noted within the addon you'd want your attachment thumbnail size to be close to the responsiveNarrow width in Xenforo.. around 400-500px
I noticed that, but 480px thumbnails are not actually thumbnails anymore. I have set the thumbnails to 200px for better readability of the discussions and I don't really want to increase it.

I noticed that, but 480px thumbnails are not actually thumbnails anymore. I have set the thumbnails to 200px for better readability of the discussions and I don't really want to increase it.
That is fair. This feature would admittedly be beneficial for forums which are heavy with very large attachments and need that extra benefit.

There is a problem browsing a mobile site

There are very bad things

Can this addon solve these problems?
Thanks for asking, tough to give advice without knowing what kind of problems.

As mentioned in the FAQ, XFOptimize cannot fix major problems with your style or addons, if they are coded badly.

XFOptimize helps by reducing the size of your page HTML, loading files from other websites faster, and loading large images earlier, for example.

If you PM me a link to your site, I could give you an opinion on your site's speed.

Thanks for asking, tough to give advice without knowing what kind of problems.

As mentioned in the FAQ, XFOptimize cannot fix major problems with your style or addons, if they are coded badly.

XFOptimize helps by reducing the size of your page HTML, loading files from other websites faster, and loading large images earlier, for example.

If you PM me a link to your site, I could give you an opinion on your site's speed.
I spoke to you privately

Before installing XF optimize:

1637405556942.png
1637405701270.png

After installing XF optimize:

1637405594224.png
1637405724368.png

However, -10% on mobile but I try to figure this out...

Options ticked:

1637405784557.png

1637405814602.png

1637405832510.png

1637405847747.png

1637405862080.png

I don't see any bugs yet.

@Nulumia How to optimize more?

Hi @Betclever,
Thanks for sharing and very cool to see you already found benefit from the addon! I see improvement in almost every metric, including reduction in CLS/LCP, blocking has been reduced to 0 (thanks preconnect! :p) and most notably, your time to interactive was cut in half :)

Obviously things will fluctuate from page to page.

From your settings, you should change "Minify whitespace" to "Maximum / remove all whitespace & newlines"

Then, change "Preload images" to "Priority".

Lastly, change "Limit preloaded images per content" to 2 instead of 3. I feel that 2 will be the new default going forward.

1637409490447.png

However, I unchecked: "Minify whitespace" to "Maximum / remove all whitespace & newlines"
Why? My second sidebar doesn't open on mobile. Bug?

Also, -10% on mobile on pagespeed insights.

Top Bottom