[OzzModz] What's New Tweak

[OzzModz] What's New Tweak 2.2.1

No permission to download

Mr. Jinx

Mr. Jinx submitted a new resource:

What's New Tweak - Options to tweak the What's New page and make it more consistent

XF 2.0 comes with a redesigned What's New page. After upgrading to 2.0, our regular forum members had some trouble using the new system with filters.

This addon will change some of the What's New features in such a way that more consistent and easier to understand:
  • Add a refresh button to the What's New section
    Normally, users will hit the browsers refresh button. However this will just refresh the cached What's New page. By hitting the new refresh button, a new page...

Read more about this resource...

Nice tweaks - could you please add the "All posts" menu item to the menu bar for those who opt not to hide it?
Thanks! To be clear, do you mean you want the "All posts" in the main navigation bar instead of the sub-menu, and available as a user option to enable/disable this item?

Refresh 404s if forum is in a subdirectory
Could you check if you did set the correct Board URL in your ACP > Options > Basic board information.

Thanks! To be clear, do you mean you want the "All posts" in the main navigation bar instead of the sub-menu, and available as a user option to enable/disable this item?
Or as well as, yes. I'm using a style where the sub-menu is hidden at all times, so it acts very similar as if it is in "sticky mode".

User option isn't needed - I was more meaning the Admin CP option of hiding it, I don't wish to do so - therefore the "All posts" link would be a good addition to it.

I was also wondering whether it would be worthwhile restyling the "Refresh" at the top of the page? Perhaps next to the "Post thread" button, and have "Refresh (X)" with X counting down? That would be sweet.. 😁

i did indeed
Weird, because this addon uses exactly the URL that is specified as "Board URL", which should include the subdirectrory.
If you go to the whats-new page, and take a look at the source, what URL is specified after "<meta http-equiv="refresh" content="60; ... " ?

Or as well as, yes. I'm using a style where the sub-menu is hidden at all times, so it acts very similar as if it is in "sticky mode".
I think it is easy to modify this yourself:
Go to Setup > navigation and click on the 'All posts' link.
Now, select <blank> as Parent Nagivation entry.

This will put the 'All posts' link in the main navigation.
Only problem will be that 'All posts' won't be highlighted when selected. This could be fixed in a next release.
Let me know if this works for you.
I was also wondering whether it would be worthwhile restyling the "Refresh" at the top of the page? Perhaps next to the "Post thread" button, and have "Refresh (X)" with X counting down? That would be sweet.. 😁
I'll think about different positions. The countdown was also something I was thinking about.
Instead of a counter, I would like to make something like a small horizontal bar that fills up from left to right during x seconds, but haven't found a good example script yet.

I think it is easy to modify this yourself:
Go to Setup > navigation and click on the 'All posts' link.
Now, select <blank> as Parent Nagivation entry.

This will put the 'All posts' link in the main navigation.
Only problem will be that 'All posts' won't be highlighted when selected. This could be fixed in a next release.
Let me know if this works for you.
I think there's been a mis-understanding, sorry.

I've attached a picture of the menu I wish to add the link to.. :)

Also, are there any plans to support XFMG? Currently both media links still highlight the Media tab instead of What's New.

-EDIT-
I sorted the XFMG support using similar techniques to your 'posts' and 'profile posts' edits.

The 2 templates are xfmg_whats_new_media and xfmg_whats_new_media_comments

Attachments

• new.webp
    new.webp
    11.1 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:
That is expected behavior if you do not have friendly URL's enabled.

It's the only pre-req of this addon:
Additional requirements: "Search engine optimization (SEO) > Use full friendly URLs" should be enabled

I think I'll update this addon to also support 'non friendly urls', as I didn't expect so many people haven't (or can't) use friendly urls.

Works well now with 'nonfriendly urls' 👍

Not sure if it is possible but a nice addition would be to enable users to select their own refresh time, say default 60 seconds, with options for 30s, 120s, 300s, for example

Correct, that is what the 'All posts' link does in this addon... but the proper way would be to call this instead of a normal URL:
Code:
{{ link('whats-new/posts', null, {'skip': 1}) }}

Apologies - ForumCube is trying to fix some things they screwed up. They just "un-did" something they tried to fix a problem and all is well. The addon installed and it working. My sincere apologies. Two posts in this discussion deleted.

Top Bottom