[OzzModz] Registration Spaminator Stop Spam Bot Registrations

[OzzModz] Registration Spaminator Stop Spam Bot Registrations [Paid] 2.2.0

No permission to buy ($30.00)
No, but it's an interesting tactic. Maybe stop some registrations all together. Maybe you could make the addon automatically use a different URL, and have the default registration URL have ONLY the invisible fields, perhaps the default URL can redirect in javascript since bots dont render the page (or do they execute js?). See how many bots fill in the honey pot on the default (fake) registration page, and how many do it on the new one.

It is a future possibility, but it would have to be done very carefully as to not break every other addon that touches the registration process.

And looking for addon to prevent spammers.
The onboard anti-spam stuff xenforo provides is pretty good, and really if you are just starting out it's all you really need. You don't need any addons right off.

Last edited:
block most spam bots, some will still get through
Hasn't happened in the eight years we've tested this and that's extensive intensive testing. This is not to say a human botnet admin can't adjust his program to specifically target this - but that's human intervention now is it not? Plus if he programs his software to ignore custom fields and checkboxes? It's pretty useless now, as bulk automation.

We have lots of contingencies for when the programs out there try to defeat this. This is just the basics of the weaponry.

I’m still thinking. My board is turned on invitation only, and I don’t have issue with spammers. I just want to turn my board into normal registration. And looking for addon to prevent spammers.
And I'll tell you what. I've been at this for near on 20 years now. And I've long decided that if I ever start a new board I am going to charge 5 USD for registration using AddonFlare's add-on for paid registration. I'll have 15 or 20 friends and family invited for free and we'll chat write articles and post content, and if nobody else wants to pony up five bucks that's fine. I've done the big board thing and I've bought and sold boards and made some good money doing it. I'm still admin on two really huge busy boards. But I'm gonna charge to join my next one. Not gonna have to deal with spammers or trolls.

Anyhow, happy holidays and all success in your new venture.

Spammers are on the entire internet, their bots crawl every website on the internet until they find what they are looking for (a forum installation) then attempt to register. You will need some tools to help you block it. This addon is a simple way to block most spam bots, some will still get through, and for that you should configure the /admin.php?options/groups/spam/ section in your forum. So if a bot gets in, it will hopefully be captured by your spam filter. Lastly you'll need some forum moderators in case all else fails and human intervention is needed.

Unless another option is to keep email registration disabled and only use connected accounts, then you wont need this addon and are protected by the spam protection of the connected account providers, how ever manual human spammers will need to be dealt with so the forum configuration is still recommended.

My forum is set on invitation only. Basically no email confirmation needed, to make it easy for registration, but invitat code is required prior to register. The code can be issued only by members. So , I’m not concerned now about spamers, as I don’t have none.

But thinking to change my forum settings to be opened for registration. So looking for good tool to prevent spammers .

Ozzy, quick question. I installed all 3 spaminator mods about 10 days ago (registration, log in, and contact us). I have had no attempted registrations or log-ins, but I've had a ton of contact us attempts showing up on the logs. Other than enabling viewing of reports, there didn't to appear to be any set up requirements for these. I have even turned off geo-blocking from about 15 countries I had completely blocked and still no bot registrations showing. We are not a large site by any means, but I am surprised not to have had any. Just want to make sure I am not missing anything in install/setup?

I am such an idiot @Ozzy47. Only 1 person I didn't invite has signed up on my site in an entire year with a forum that has close to 7,000 posts now. It's not your fault though but I want to mention that after reading over the add-ons capability I assume it's best to just get rid of capatcha all together? Unfortunately this is all my fault but I had recapatcha V2 enabled the entire time and looking over the logs there has been almost 11,000 registration attempts. How this is possible is something that has set me free that I am at least now able to get rid of capatcha all together. On no site have I ever received that many bot registrations (within the past year). I'm not exactly sure where recapatcha v2 could have failed us and it's not your fault but I am just glad I realized it wasn't even needed with this add-on. There's just no possible way in my opinion I could have had 11K registration attempts even though it's likely a good bit of them were bots.

Recapatcha v2 as you may know is the one where you have the checkbox. The only way I can think (because everyone I invited was able to sign up) was possibly referral traffic wasn't effected. I don't believe any other capatcha would cause an issue. It's my opinion this may be due to the fact that repatcha V2 needs a key and a secret key.

I just want to simply ask if it's okay to completely do away with capatcha. The add-on does it's job just fine and reading through the reviews @BassMan had also suggested the same saying that there's no need for capatcha when you have the add-on. It's not possible in my opinion over a years time to have 11,000 blocked registrations. My site receives around 13,000 visits a month so far.

While I disable capatcha all together can you verify that it's okay to do this and also if the keys required in recapatcha v2 would cause an issue to your knowledge? For all I know, your not even supposed to use the built in capatcha with it, nonetheless a capatcha that requires a key. ~ Brad

This is definitely my fault. I have now noticed this in the recapatcha v2 Key admin panel.

1613810822307.webp

So apparently something is indeed going on. I'm going to do some more checking and let you know.

Hi @Brad Padgett,

Yes, I'm running this on one of my boards with no issues and I'm very surprised how well it works. Of course, it will not stop human spammers, but it's ok for me to stop those nasty bots. So yes, I still highly recommend this add-on.

No captcha for users and we know nobody likes it.

Thinking to add the one for the contact form too.

Thanks @BassMan, apparently a key and secret key isn't even required for recapatcha v2 but it gives the option. Why I decided to use capatcha when I had this I don't know. Though as in the screenshot something had happened with the capatcha keys. Not exactly sure what the add-on has to do with it but if you use capatcha, I just recommend not using it with a key if you use the spammanitor.

I just want to simply ask if it's okay to completely do away with capatcha. The add-on does it's job just fine and reading through the reviews @BassMan had also suggested the same saying that there's no need for capatcha when you have the add-on. It's not possible in my opinion over a years time to have 11,000 blocked registrations. My site receives around 13,000 visits a month so far.

While I disable capatcha all together can you verify that it's okay to do this and also if the keys required in recapatcha v2 would cause an issue to your knowledge? For all I know, your not even supposed to use the built in capatcha with it, nonetheless a capatcha that requires a key. ~ Brad
I'm running it (almost) naked.. I do also have known disposable and spam email domains blocked.

The addon does not interfere with the default captcha(s) at all.

The 11,000 blocked attempts the addon is showing are true numbers. That does not mean that if you didn’t have the addon installed that you would have 11,000 spammers successfully registered, but that is how many bots have submitted the form.

The addon does not interfere with the default captcha(s) at all.

The 11,000 blocked attempts the addon is showing are true numbers. That does not mean that if you didn’t have the addon installed that you would have 11,000 spammers successfully registered, but that is how many bots have submitted the form.

You must not have paid attention to my screenshot, but it's fine. I never said the add-on was causing the issue but was curious to find out.

But that screenshot I gave you in the admin panel of google recapatcha v2 is in regards to the issue I am having. And as I said, it's probably not the add-ons fault or yours. But it clearly states that "less than 50% of users who signed up and passed the capatcha test were accepted as legit".

I am actually almost positive it's not the add-on, so do not worry. I have more faith in you then that :D :P But I needed to make sure in case there was something I missed.

I do get what you were trying to say @Ozzy47 and that's the registration blocked attempts in the spamminator log for 11K and so forth were actually bots. Just glad the issue is resolved. I don't realize how I could be so careless. In regards to that, the add-on has nothing to do with it and I didn't have that many registration attempts. Though at the exact same time my recapatcha v2 wasn't setup right. @Oblivion Knight I have now reverted capatcha completely since the add-on according to you and @BassMan does such a great job.

I didn't want to confuse any potential buyers for this add-on. The issue with keys and secret keys and jumbo non-sense like that is it takes configuration in the panel which I apparently didn't do right. I had misread the type in the Xenforo 2 administration panel thinking it was required. Funny thing is there was no way to tell because referrer traffic still passed the test.

Anyone using a duplicate account detector add-on? Recommendations for one that works well with this add-on?

Suggestion: It would be cool if it could submit the IP's to Spamhaus or StopForumSpam or something. Or automatically add it to blocked IP's in XenForo. A man can dream, but great add-on overall.

Top Bottom