[OzzModz] Registration Spaminator Stop Spam Bot Registrations

[OzzModz] Registration Spaminator Stop Spam Bot Registrations [Paid] 2.2.0

No permission to buy ($30.00)
Isn't this just a variable passed through, but ultimately the same code?
I'll tell you why. Because the bots are programmed to register at the default XF registration URL: https://www.hometheaterforum.com/community/register/ but that opens the account select screen so the bots don't have anything to fill out / submit on this page.

You've essentially proven that this addon can be mostly replaced by simply changing the location of your registration page.

I'll tell you why. Because the bots are programmed to register at the default XF registration URL: https://www.hometheaterforum.com/community/register/ but that opens the account select screen so the bots don't have anything to fill out / submit on this page.

You've essentially proven that this addon can be mostly replaced by simply changing the location of your registration page.
That used to be a vbulletin mod back in the day. It worked for about a week.

Last edited:

So you don’t have a link anywhere to the registration page? Because if you do the bots will find it.

I don't know if you track effectiveness, or keep any sort of "record high" numbers....but in the ~24 hours since I installed Registration Spaminator, I have recorded 311 entries.

My "real" registrations for 12/23 remain consistent, 48 for the day.

The Login Spaminator (which I bought by accident, and kept) has registered about 35 over the same 24 hour period.

I like it :)

(FYI, when you have your limit results set to 500, it will lock up your browser....)

Yeah I would definitely agree with the above and have been meaning to mention it. Time stamp would be helpful to see how regularly we are getting these bots signing up, find that stuff useful! Also better being a tab in the admin rather than the front end. I also would like to suggest another thing that could be handy is that all the same bots/ips bundle together and can be seen how many times they’ve attempted via a value.

Gonna hit 12,000 pretty darn soon !!

View attachment 217670

I agree that a time-stamp would be nice, even if it is an arrow that can be clicked on to hide/disclose it.

One question @ozzy47 @OzzModz -- have you considered adding a column that provides a time/date stamp for each attempt?

Thanks for adding the time stamp, @Ozzinator.

I’ll hit 33,000 foiled bot registrations later tonight. That’s about 14 months after installation.

So you don’t have a link anywhere to the registration page? Because if you do the bots will find it.
No, but it's an interesting tactic. Maybe stop some registrations all together. Maybe you could make the addon automatically use a different URL, and have the default registration URL have ONLY the invisible fields, perhaps the default URL can redirect in javascript since bots dont render the page (or do they execute js?). See how many bots fill in the honey pot on the default (fake) registration page, and how many do it on the new one.

I believe spammers won’t use account connected registration?
I only had one case where a spammer registered through Discord. For connected accounts, the company who provides the account service usually has impressive anti-bot protection already.

I’m still thinking. My board is turned on invitation only, and I don’t have issue with spammers. I just want to turn my board into normal registration. And looking for addon to prevent spammers.

I don’t have issue with spammers

Spammers are on the entire internet, their bots crawl every website on the internet until they find what they are looking for (a forum installation) then attempt to register. You will need some tools to help you block it. This addon is a simple way to block most spam bots, some will still get through, and for that you should configure the /admin.php?options/groups/spam/ section in your forum. So if a bot gets in, it will hopefully be captured by your spam filter. Lastly you'll need some forum moderators in case all else fails and human intervention is needed.

Unless another option is to keep email registration disabled and only use connected accounts, then you wont need this addon and are protected by the spam protection of the connected account providers, how ever manual human spammers will need to be dealt with so the forum configuration is still recommended.

Top Bottom