[OzzModz] Registration Spaminator Stop Spam Bot Registrations

[OzzModz] Registration Spaminator Stop Spam Bot Registrations [Paid] 2.2.0

No permission to buy ($30.00)
Hello @ozzy47

I have several times a day some registrations with this following message:

Code:
ThunderupThunderupThunderupThunderupThunderupThunderupThunderupThunderupThunderupThunderupThunderupThunderupThunderupThunderupThunderupThunderupThunderupThunderupThunderupThunderupThunderupThunderupThunderupThunderupThunderupThunderupThunderupThunderupThunderupThunderupThunderupThunderup

Usernames are also generic like ukghgyu, kjhnl, jgukgu,...

I think they use a VPN.

Does this plugin work against this kind of spammers?

Rgds,
P.

You were getting over 1000 spam registrations a week before installing this addon?

Possibly, but there were that many attempts by spambots trying to register. They may or not have been caught by other prevention methods.

I get about 3-4 fake registrations per week that go through (but have never had an actual spam post).

the Spaminator gets the automated bots that attack, but never get through.

I believe the fake registrations are the result of humans.

I have been traveling this week so haven’t gone through things. I will look and report back.

Most of the registrations that have gone through have been from a variety of email domains (not typically done from gmail, yahoo, hotmail, mail.ru, etc) and they have two or three characteristics: a Jan 1 birthdate, location “New York, AL” and a keto-related URL in one of the registration sections.

I’ll have to go through and see how many of these have happened since I implemented Ozzinator’s Spaminator add-on.

I have been traveling this week so haven’t gone through things. I will look and report back.

Most of the registrations that have gone through have been from a variety of email domains (not typically done from gmail, yahoo, hotmail, mail.ru, etc) and they have two or three characteristics: a Jan 1 birthdate, location “New York, AL” and a keto-related URL in one of the registration sections.

I’ll have to go through and see how many of these have happened since I implemented Ozzinator’s Spaminator add-on.
I just went through my newly registered user logs, one by one. Most of the time, you can compare the IP address with the place they say they are from, and get a quick idea if they are legit or not. If the IP address is from an African coutry or Russia or someplace like that, and the user says they are from Chicago, and they have a bogus e-mail domain like hotmail or someother domain that is not usual, they there's a pretty good chance they are a spammer. Anyone with a place of registration of "New York, AL" and/or a registration of "Jan 1, 1999" and/or a keto-related URL in the registration or something like that is also pretty assuredly a spammer.

Results-wise, I had a total of four confirmed "spammer" registrations from last Sunday until this morning. This was out of 45 total registrations. Some of these were "awaiting email confirmation" and others had confirmed. None actually posted any spam, nor has any spammer (pre or post-Spaminator) ever posted spam to my forum.

I believe at least three of these four spammer registrations are different and separate from the automated spam-bots that the Spaminator is catching and grounding. My spaminator is over 1,300 now. Seem to be getting 100-125 Spaminator catches per day.

For contrast, I only had one hit over the past week by Akismet/SFS/etc. defenses. Interestingly, it registered a "hit" based solely on a common and spammer-linked username, "Val" -- and I let the registration go through because the location, IP address and other stuff checked out. I think it was only the first or second time that this had "hit" on an otherwise legit registration.

See attachments as to what a typical "spammer" registration looks like on my site. This one was manually validated per the email sent. This one joined my forum on Tuesday of last week (a few days after I'd implemented Spaminator).

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-10-21 at 8.32.48 AM.webp
    Screen Shot 2019-10-21 at 8.32.48 AM.webp
    23.7 KB · Views: 14
  • Screen Shot 2019-10-21 at 8.32.38 AM.webp
    Screen Shot 2019-10-21 at 8.32.38 AM.webp
    20.3 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
I'm currently using Xon's Signup Abuse Detection and blocking so will be interesting to see how the two work together to help eliminate spam (bot and human). I do believe Xon's addon is still a good one to have on as it does perform a number of additional lookups that will catch or flag suspect human spam.

Spaminator is doing it's job in some respect however I've had a few successful attempts and posting spam on my forum. Luckily I still have SFS, Akismet and Honeypot on and automatically put them in approval queue. I would definitely recommended leaving those services on anyway as they are extra measures if Spaminator fails. FYI, I have CAPTCHA turned off.

Then as I said, it was a human that joined. Then either they post the spam or they hand it off to a automated program to post.

Then as I said, it was a human that joined. Then either they post the spam or they hand it off to a automated program to post.
I understand but it is bad practice to turn off all the other measures as they will also help eliminate the human spammers too.

Top Bottom