OS/Browser Display for XenForo 1.x [Deleted]

Snog

Snog submitted a new resource:

OS/Browser Display - Shows user's OS/Browser in extra user info.

osbbox-png.106418

Want to know which OS and Browser your members are using?

Then this add-on is for you!

OS/Browser Display shows which OS and Browser your members are using in posts and PCs.*

Features
  • Set who can view OS/Browser info by usergroup.
  • Display OS/Browser as icons only.
  • Display OS/Browser as icons and text.
  • Display OS/Browser as text only.
  • Uses sprites to limit http requests.
  • Each post/PC...

Read more about this resource...

Last edited:
I find this mod so great and especially when trying to resolve issues members may have on my forum.

Do users have the option to turn this off in their privacy settings?
No they don't.

The information shown is sent out every time someone visits a web page. It is recorded in the logs of every server they visit.

If this is really a concern, you can choose to display it only to the usergroups of your choice.

Last edited:

All the time I have been using this type of mod on different forum software I have never had any members request that their information is not shown. I cannot even think of any reason why you would not want this information shown.

All the time I have been using this type of mod on different forum software I have never had any members request that their information is not shown. I cannot even think of any reason why you would not want this information shown.
Cause the privacy .. ;)

I think some people place too much on privacy when going online and if they so worried about that maybe they should not do so. I can extract more private information about someone than just knowing what OS and Browser they may or may not be using. However as stated you able to only show this to selected groups if that is an issue on your forum. Also remember that these groups would most likely have IP viewing capabilities as well.

Cause the privacy .. ;)
To my knowledge, displaying the OS and Browser someone is using does not fall under any privacy laws of any country. Displaying that information does not disclose any personally identifiable information and is not unique to an individual. You will find that many users are using the same OS and Browser. There are also no cookies involved so the cookie law also doesn't apply.

However, I will put the option on the wish list for this add-on.

Was only wondering, don't have any privacy concerns with it myself.

No they don't.

The information shown is sent out every time someone visits a web page. It is recorded in the logs of every server they visit.

If this is really a concern, you can choose to display it only to the usergroups of your choice.

Yep, saw that feature :).

Only asked because some people get a bit uptight when ANY information is passed back that they can't control ... generally they're the ones with tinfoil hats ;).

I think some people place too much on privacy when going online and if they so worried about that maybe they should not do so. I can extract more private information about someone than just knowing what OS and Browser they may or may not be using. However as stated you able to only show this to selected groups if that is an issue on your forum. Also remember that these groups would most likely have IP viewing capabilities as well.

Completely agree, anyone really worried about privacy shouldn't be on the net!

To my knowledge, displaying the OS and Browser someone is using does not fall under any privacy laws of any country. Displaying that information does not disclose any personally identifiable information and is not unique to an individual. You will find that many users are using the same OS and Browser. There are also no cookies involved so the cookie law also doesn't apply.

However, I will put the option on the wish list for this add-on.

As I first said, only wondered - I don't mind if it is there or not.

At times I also find with all the technology available members will jump between devices during the day so they would have posted using multiple combinations. Later they will report they had an issue posting x post and with this it is easy to see the combination used and fault find it using the same combination. We sure need all the tools we can have at hand at times like these :D

At times I also find with all the technology available members will jump between devices during the day so they would have posted using multiple combinations. Later they will report they had an issue posting x post and with this it is easy to see the combination used and fault find it using the same combination. We sure need all the tools we can have at hand at times like these :D

Not wrong, luckily most of our members aren't up with the play and struggle to turn a PC on let alone try and use a mobile device :p.

If anyone has to watch my combination in posting it would be a nightmare as I can go from Windows any version using a combination of browsers to different mobile device also using different browsers :LOL:

cURL is installed, but i have only this Error Massge during Install: "An unexpected error occurred. Please try again later." :oops:

cURL is installed, but i have only this Error Massge during Install: "An unexpected error occurred. Please try again later." :oops:
Most likely it is because PHP is running as a different user than your FTP account.

Delete everything in the library/Snog folder (just the OSBrowser folder if you have more than one of my add-ons) and change permissions of the Snog folder to 777.

Also be sure the data/osbrowser folder is also set to 777.

osbrowser Folder and all Files in there has 777, also the Snog Folder has 777. I cant delete this Folders anymore:

Screenshot_1.webp

550 DataWriter: Permission denied. I really dont know whats wrong. Anyway, thx for you help Snog.

osbrowser Folder and all Files in there has 777, also the Snog Folder has 777. I cant delete this Folders anymore:

550 DataWriter: Permission denied. I really dont know whats wrong. Anyway, thx for you help Snog.
Are you running Nginx by some chance?

The inability to remove the folders is a sure sign that Nginx is running PHP either as the 'nobody' user or another odd user and is forbidding access to the files created by the installer. Someone else ran across this problem the other day. They changed the user that PHP runs as to the same one as the FTP account and all worked properly for them.

The user that runs PHP should be the same one that would own the web root directory and would be used for FTP/SSH upload AND would run php

Last edited:
On my small managed VPS, there is Apache - no Nginx. I dont know how to change Users. There a some Server Errors like this: ErrorException: unlink(osb_install.php): Permission denied - library/Snog/OSBrowser/Install.php:40

But i cant delete this Folder, and i cant change Permission anymore...your Addon is really complicated. :cry:

On my small managed VPS, there is Apache - no Nginx. I dont know how to change Users. There a some Server Errors like this: ErrorException: unlink(osb_install.php): Permission denied - library/Snog/OSBrowser/Install.php:40

But i cant delete this Folder, and i cant change Permission anymore...your Addon is really complicated. :cry:
You're the first person to have this problem that is running Apache.

That error did help me locate what could be the problem. And since everything else seems to be getting installed (per your screenshot of the folder), it should be fixed now.

Try installing again.

So far as not being able to delete the files, I'm sure that has to do with your FTP user permissions. Try deleting them from your control panel.

Top Bottom