1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

nimbushosting.co.uk

Discussion in 'Server Configuration and Hosting' started by ineedhelp, Aug 7, 2013.

1. ineedhelp

ineedhelp Well-Known Member

Recommended by @DRE

Been looking into them, their packages seem good.

Does anyone here use them?

What package are you on?

I'm thinking of going the Whirlwind mostly because, of the price of the plan. Otherwise, I'd prefer Tornado.

2. Chris D

Chris D XenForo Developer Staff Member

3. DRE

DRE Well-Known Member

Ryan_, ineedhelp and Chris D like this.
  4. Chris D

Chris D XenForo Developer Staff Member

5. RoldanLT

RoldanLT Well-Known Member

6. DRE

DRE Well-Known Member

From my experience of your traffic and observation of the modifications on your forum, you need more than 1 GB memory. Go with Tornado.

ineedhelp likes this.
  7. RoldanLT

8. ineedhelp

I want to go with Tornado as well, but it's expensive.

Can anyone get any discounts? I know if I pay annually, 8% is automatically discounted. But it's still a lot + VAT at 20% is added on top.

9. RoldanLT

I don't think there is promotional code/promo code.

10. DRE

DRE Well-Known Member

Throw some ads up, create paid subscriptions and it will cover the cost.

11. ineedhelp

You know what the members are like on my forum, you really think they'll pay even a dollar. They wouldn't want to give out their paypal email or name.

As for ads, google won't allow it.

Adam Howard likes this.
  12. DRE

DRE Well-Known Member

Some will if you offer enough exclusive features. The cheap ones are the loudest, ignore em. Some will pay.

Ideas for premium member benefits here: http://xenforo.com/community/threads/premium-member-benefits-whats-yours.54307/

Alternatives to adsense mentioned here: http://xenforo.com/community/threads/adsense-disabled-any-alternatives.36842/

and here: http://xenforo.com/community/threads/do-not-monetize-your-youtube-account.30594/

and here: http://xenforo.com/community/threads/why-would-an-established-website-not-use-google-adsense.43753/

and here: http://xenforo.com/community/threads/so-google-adsense-just-disabled-my-domain-no-what.42567/

ineedhelp likes this.
  13. RobParker

RobParker Well-Known Member

We're on a dedicated server with them and they are superb. We had lots of "optimisation" issues with previous hosts, our site going down under heavy traffic, etc but we've just smashed our record user online with over 5500 users online (in a 15 minute period) and that's all thanks to how Tim and the guys at Nimbus have set it up for us.

onelife69 and ineedhelp like this.
  14. RobParker

I should probably add that we've had some very good hosts over the years but they've always struggled to get VB (and more recently XF) running well under heavy traffic spikes. Nimbus were able to assess our needs and put us on the correct package and then tweak it to make things as fast as possible. Yeah it's definitely not the cheapest but the products are excellent as is the support.

15. Floren

Floren Well-Known Member

Tim@Nimbus are good people. I know AVForums are hosting their site there, probably their largest client.

onelife69 and Chris D like this.
  16. Venomator

Venomator Member

Nimbus have been absolutely great for our community - mobitog.com - we are on their Hurricane package.

We moved last year and have not had a single problem since. Though they may not be the least expensive, you do get what you pay for when it comes to hosting.

Tim and the entire team at Nimbus have exceeded all expectations across the board. They all really do know their stuff when it comes to Xenforo hosting.

We would have no hesitation about recommending Nimbus to anyone who needs first class hosting services from a truly professional company that goes above and beyond!

Ryan_, Chris D and RobParker like this.
  17. Marcel

Marcel Active Member

Same here. We've (Talk Photography) been with Nimbus on a dedicated server since they started. We were with Tim in his previous employ too.
    They have a great team at Nimbus, and certainly do know their onions.
    Like Floren says, AVF are hosted at Nimbus too. That in itself was a selling point for us :)

18. RobParker

Any idea if/when you'll move to XF?

19. Marcel

Marcel Active Member

I've currently just done a test migration and I'm in the process of tweaking and tinkering ready for the actual live date. So quite soon I think!

20. RobParker

Excellent :)