1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nice surprise

Discussion in 'Server Configuration and Hosting' started by Floren, Jan 7, 2014.

1. Floren

Floren Well-Known Member

2. Slavik

Slavik XenForo Moderator Staff Member

Excellent news.

3. Mouth

Mouth Well-Known Member

Seems a bit like your favourite independent hamburger store being taken-over by McDowell's with a promise to still keep it the same *cough* ??

4. Slavik

Slavik XenForo Moderator Staff Member

More like Lamborghini being taken over by Audi.

Floren likes this.
  5. Floren

Floren Well-Known Member

Not really, Red Hat is not IB. :D They been doing the same with Fedora for years.
    Plus, finally the guys can get a decent salary, without relying only on donations...

6. SneakyDave

SneakyDave Well-Known Member

It sounds like good news, but what does Red Hat get in any of this?

7. Floren

Floren Well-Known Member

Just a great team of programmers who made CentOS possible. :)

SneakyDave likes this.
  8. caliman

caliman Active Member

Oh my this is huge.
    I wonder is this will mean that new php and mysql versions will come down the pipe faster? Really my only quibble with CentOS. I used Remi to get around it.

9. p4guru

p4guru Well-Known Member

Floren likes this.
  10. p4guru

p4guru Well-Known Member

There's always 3rd party repos and source compile. 75% of all my servers are now on Centmin Mod so PHP via source and MariaDB via MariaDB official rpms and it has added Oracle Linux support so if CentOS side doesn't fair well can still opt for Oracle Linux :)

Wonder if this move is also to defend against Ubuntu/Debian rise vs RH/CentOS/Fedora ?

11. Bryan Gilchrist

Bryan Gilchrist Active Member

Oh, goody...now CentOS will be absorbed by RH and will cease to exist as an open-source option. If you can't beat the competition, eat them... :p

12. BamaStangGuy

BamaStangGuy Well-Known Member

Yea because that is exactly what has happened with Fedora.

SneakyDave likes this.
  13. SneakyDave

I started with Fedora years ago, but I don't know why RH keeps it around now that they have centos. Maybe fedora is better suited for desktops?

14. Sheratan

Sheratan Well-Known Member

You can try Windoes 8 for "free" in Fedora. :D

15. Floren

Floren Well-Known Member

Is simple: Fedora is the bedhead tester OS for new RHEL versions. CentOS is the equivalent of RHEL with the power of free community behind it. For example, Red Hat will benefit from it as the CentOS team will be able to fix bugs reported by community.
    I don't think so. :)

16. caliman

caliman Active Member

I hope not. :cautious:

17. SneakyDave

Oh that's right, I forgot what Fedora's role was, the leading/bleeding edge of new features that may end up putting in RHEL.

But isn't RH scared that bringing CentOS on board will eat into the licensing profits of RHEL? Maybe they think they are losing the battle to free CentOS?

18. Floren

Floren Well-Known Member

They are not. RHEL is mostly a niche for clients who want guaranteed support. Everything you find in RHEL is available in CentOS, but you don't get any support. If you provide a critical service, you cannot rely on community to get help. Instead you pay for the license and get 100% support to bugs and issues directly from RHEL. Remember that is always RHEL who provides the source to CentOS. They do this because it brings them a lot of profit, people discover CentOS, then they want support and purchase a RHEL license. :)

SneakyDave likes this.
  19. nemke

nemke Member

I think this is great news, sometimes is good when a big company stands behind project this big. Just hope that this doesn't mean that RH will cripple CentOS in any way.

I use Fedora as desktop and I pretty much love it. And yes as bleeding edge it sometimes does breaks various stuff, but I'm already used to it :)

SneakyDave likes this.
  20. Floren

Floren Well-Known Member

If Red Hat wanted to cripple something, they would of done it long time ago with Fedora. :)