New Threads [Deleted]

Thomas.B

mvk submitted a new resource:

New Threads - Adds a „New Threads“ tab next to the „New Posts“ tab.

The tab „New Threads“ will show a (registered) user all threads that were created after the end of their last session. The default XF tab „New Posts“ contains both new posts and new threads. In combination with this add-on users may think that the „New Posts“ tab contains only posts. Therefore this add-on also renames the „New Posts“ tab to „New Posts & Threads“. However, you can of course change this name to whatever you want by modifying the phrase...

Read more about this resource...

Hi. Just a little clarification, please. I was under the impression that when clicking the "New Threads" tab one would see only newly created threads, threads created before the end of a users last visit, but in fact I am regularly seeing old threads, some of them years old, that show up there any time someone replies to them. Is this working as intended? Just asking, because I was really hoping that it would show only new threads there and not also threads that have been replied to, as it does under "New Posts & Threads." Thanks

Hiya,

yeah, there seems to be a bug. Do I assume correctly that these threads are shown in the „before last session but still unread“ section?

Hiya,

yeah, there seems to be a bug. Do I assume correctly that these threads are shown in the „before last session but still unread“ section?
They do show there, but they also show above that. I had an older thread that someone replied to 5 minutes ago appear at the top, above that, but after I viewed it it was moved below the "before last session but still unread" section. I was testing it yesterday on a test account and saw that that is normal behavior: as soon as I replied to a thread on my personal account I would see it at the top (above the "before last session but still unread") on the test account and it would be moved down after viewing.

My apologies! You are correct that normal behavior is that they will appear below the line that reads "Threads below this were created before the end of your last visit but are still unread." I forgot that I had turned off the hourly cron job, which of course most people would have enabled. After running it, all replied-to threads appear below that section. Thanks

Ok, good to hear that. Nevertheless, there is indeed a bug that may cause certain old (read) threads to be shown as new and new threads to be shown as unread. I'll fix this in the rext release...

Oh yeah, they definitely still appear, if someone replies to a thread now it immediately shows up under New Threads. I've tested it. I was just correcting where they appear, which is below the "Threads below this...." Thanks for looking into it

Will you be updating this for 1.5 soon, or are you waiting for final release? It was working fine for the beta but I've since installed the release candidate and obviously XF changed something along the way because now I'm seeing a lot of server errors like this:

1. Undefined index: threads Today at 8:16 AM - library/Awedo/FindNewThreads/ControllerPublic/FindNew.php:68
  2. Delete...
    Argument 2 passed to Awedo_FindNewThreads_ControllerPublic_FindNew::_removeReadThreads() must be of the type array, null given, called in /home/.../public_html/forum/library/Awedo/FindNewThreads/ControllerPublic/FindNew.php on line 71 and defined Today at 8:16 AM - library/Awedo/FindNewThreads/ControllerPublic/FindNew.php:131
  3. Delete...
    Undefined property: XenForo_ControllerResponse_Redirect::$subView Today at 8:16 AM - library/Awedo/FindNewThreads/ControllerPublic/FindNew.php:51
TIA

EDIT: Hmmm. Well, after getting a page full of these errors this morning, I haven't seen any more of them, and everything seems to be working okay with it at the moment. I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Last edited:
I've just checked the differences of the FindNew controller in the 1.4.10 and the 1.5 RC2 release. I noticed only a few minor changes in the ProfilePosts action which my addon does not use.. Unfortunately I couldn't reproduce the error and from the source code I currently cannot see how this could possibly happen. So if you have any further info please let me know...

I've just checked the differences of the FindNew controller in the 1.4.10 and the 1.5 RC2 release. I noticed only a few minor changes in the ProfilePosts action which my addon does not use.. Unfortunately I couldn't reproduce the error and from the source code I currently cannot see how this could possibly happen. So if you have any further info please let me know...
The errors are sporadic, so you might not not see them unless you're using it with the RC build over a period of time. Or maybe it's some conflict with another addon, although I haven't added any new ones and have seen no error messages in regards to another addon. I don't know. This is the latest batch of errors I got just this morning, after seeing none since last I posted here:
  1. Undefined property: XenForo_ControllerResponse_Redirect::$subView Today at 8:25 AM - library/Awedo/FindNewThreads/ControllerPublic/FindNew.php:51
  2. Delete...
    Trying to get property of non-object Today at 8:25 AM - library/Awedo/FindNewThreads/ControllerPublic/FindNew.php:51
  3. Delete...
    Undefined property: XenForo_ControllerResponse_Redirect::$subView Today at 8:25 AM - library/Awedo/FindNewThreads/ControllerPublic/FindNew.php:65
  4. Delete...
    Trying to get property of non-object Today at 8:25 AM - library/Awedo/FindNewThreads/ControllerPublic/FindNew.php:65
  5. Delete...
    Undefined index: threads Today at 8:25 AM - library/Awedo/FindNewThreads/ControllerPublic/FindNew.php:68
  6. Delete...
    Argument 2 passed to Awedo_FindNewThreads_ControllerPublic_FindNew::_removeReadThreads() must be of the type array, null given, called in /home/.../public_html/forum/library/Awedo/FindNewThreads/ControllerPublic/FindNew.php on line 71 and defined Today at 8:25 AM - library/Awedo/FindNewThreads/ControllerPublic/FindNew.php:131
  7. Delete...
    Undefined property: XenForo_ControllerResponse_Redirect::$subView Today at 8:00 AM - library/Awedo/FindNewThreads/ControllerPublic/FindNew.php:51
  8. Delete...
    Trying to get property of non-object Today at 8:00 AM - library/Awedo/FindNewThreads/ControllerPublic/FindNew.php:51
  9. Delete...
    Undefined property: XenForo_ControllerResponse_Redirect::$subView Today at 8:00 AM - library/Awedo/FindNewThreads/ControllerPublic/FindNew.php:65
  10. Delete...
    Trying to get property of non-object Today at 8:00 AM - library/Awedo/FindNewThreads/ControllerPublic/FindNew.php:65
  11. Delete...
    Undefined index: threads Today at 8:00 AM - library/Awedo/FindNewThreads/ControllerPublic/FindNew.php:68
  12. Delete...
    Argument 2 passed to Awedo_FindNewThreads_ControllerPublic_FindNew::_removeReadThreads() must be of the type array, null given, called in /home/.../public_html/forum/library/Awedo/FindNewThreads/ControllerPublic/FindNew.php on line 71 and defined Today at 8:00 AM - library/Awedo/FindNewThreads/ControllerPublic/FindNew.php:131
As you can see, findnew.php is the common element in all the errors. Aside from generating the errors, though, it doesn't seem to be adversely affecting anything. The addon is working fine, as far as doing what it's supposed to. If no one else is reporting any issues with it, then maybe it's some other problem on my end I've yet to discover. I'll keep at eye on it over time.

Edit: Hmm, strange, though, now that I look at my first post on the matter, that all the errors occur within the same hour of the day. Not sure what to make of it, but it's worth noting....

Last edited:
Ok, I know what the problem is and I will release an update soon. But I'm not sure if this can actually be considered as a bug. This is because this error can only occur if there are new posts and the new threads action is called with an invalid search ID. Now this actually could only happen if you manually change/enter the URL with a wrong search ID such as „index.php?find-new/123/threads“ which you are of course not supposed to do. Did this error occured always with the same user?

Last edited:
Thanks for looking into it, mvk. And yes, as a matter of fact, all the errors did occur with the same user. Hmm...

EDIT: Okay, yeah, I think what this user tried to do basically is bookmark New Threads to save her a click or two, not realizing that that link is always changing. Thanks again

Last edited:
Ok, I know what the problem is and I will release an update soon

Hope to see the update soon!

Anyway I tried to buy your addon but Chrome says that there is a SSL problem with your site and refuses to allow me to access to your site.

I've started a conversation with you regarding the website problem. If anyone else has problems with the site please let me know via conversation.

Top Bottom