1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Needed emergency help

Discussion in 'XenForo Questions and Support' started by kingston, Jan 17, 2011.

1. kingston

kingston Well-Known Member

My board is failing under heavy load. Need help ASAP.

2. steven s

steven s Well-Known Member

Is it on a shared host?

Can you get to website control panel?
    Any idea of your server load?

3. kingston

No, its a VPS. I have 4 gigs of ram and all the other stuff is running fine, JUST Xf is slow. I am really having slow issues.

4. steven s

Addons?

5. kingston

turning them off as we speak.

6. kingston

this is not the most amount of people we have had on before. I am not quite sure what to do.

7. Decent60

Decent60 Well-Known Member

Do you have any webpage stats (like Awstats and the like) loaded on your site?
    Also, do you have newsfeeds on and caching? If so, try to turn off the caching.

8. kingston

I don't. Just turned off NewsFeeds and Cache

9. steven s

Come to think about it my site used to get very slow at 7:00am every day.
    We finally figured it was one of the stat programs. We disabled it and no more problem.
    But, it this is the first time it's going slow, probably not the same thing.

10. kingston

We have about 1,000 concurrent users ATM

11. Decent60

It looks like you are loading the jQuery off of Google.com, with that many people, it's probably putting a huge strain on the server. Have you tried switching it your local server?

12. kingston

ok, done. small change.

13. a legacy reborn

a legacy reborn Well-Known Member

I would probably get a dedicated server, I mean I have never seen 1,000 users online on a VPS. Who is your host? It seems that your server is actually holding up pretty well for the amount of traffic you have.

14. kingston

actually, that jquery may have been the culprit.

i could tell it was a bottle neck, just couldnt tell what it was. we seem to be good now.

15. Decent60

There was something in the style code that is hanging up.
    He switched skins and it's doing much better.
    Could have been all the people trying to be populated on the "Whose online" part.

16. kingston

So having a high load skin is not a bad idea?

17. Decent60

For me, the new skin you switched to (which doesn't have the "Members Online Now") dropped the loading from 45s to 2s or 3s.
    You could try adjusting the Maximum Usernames in Members Online Now Box to around 100 or so. That might help out. Not exactly sure what was causing it though.

18. kingston

I think between hosting the local jQuery and setting Members Online to show just 1 that fixed it.

19. Brogan

Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member

Is there any particular reason why you were running jQuery from Google instead of locally?

20. kingston

In my inexperience I thought hosting something from google would be faster than I could host it.

What is a good way to identify possible bottlenecks? I have 3 more situations this year where I will jhave extremely high load