1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Native XenForo App - Release Details

Discussion in 'Resource and Add-on Discussions' started by Slavik, Aug 21, 2016.

1. Slavik

Slavik XenForo Moderator Staff Member

Important note: This App is not an official XenForo product.

It's finally here! Well, nearly! Today I'm pleased to announce that thanks to the hard work of all involved the long awaited Native XenForo App is at a stage where we are confident and happy enough to start working with forums to begin pushing this out for people to use on their own forums.

Much has changed from the original concepts, pricing, ideas etc, so I will go over the main changes below.

Firstly, we toyed with many concepts and ideas, mixing hybrid elements of a native and wrapper apps, we tried a lot of things and experimented with some outright rediculous ideas, but the feedback from testers was often resounding in the end user simply wanted an easy, fast way to navigate the forums on their phone. This was backed up by our independant research who came back and said the same, so we then focused on simply giving the end user, the users of your forums, an app which would be quick, work without issue and allow them to quickly and easily interact with the forum.

Secondly the multi teired pricing is gone, this app will now be a flat rate for all regardless of your forum size. This allows us to focus on one product, streamlines development, bug fixing and support across the board. Pricing will be somewhere around the $15 a month mark, the exact structure of which is still to be decided but most likely a one off creation fee, followed by a monthly subscription.

Advertising in app will be handled by AdMob, a simple and easy to use system by Google, which inserts cleanly between posts. For those who have never used AbMob before, we will provide a tutorial on setting it up for use within the app.

So whats next?

Over the next few days, we will open up our official Beta testing. We will be looking for highly enthusastic communities, ideally those who have used apps before and are looking for a replacement to take part and really hammer down any major bugs or problems with our deployment process and help us add that final bit of spit and polish to the app. During this time we will also finish off work on the Android version of the app. If you would like to register your interest, simply reply to this thread saying as such! (Please don't start a conversation as my inbox explodes :) ) Every time we are ready to accept a new batch of people, we will randomly pick from everyone who has shown an interest and send you the details of how to proceed.

Oh, and did I mention it's FREE while the Beta is ongoing? Until both apps are ready to be charged for usage of the app will be completely free.

So, with all that said, I will hope to get a little teaser of the app in action up soon, and I look forward to any comments, questions or thoughts.

Many Thanks!

Updates and requirements:
    Requires at a minimum php 5.4

We use Fabric.io for our crash reporting and analytics

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 21, 2016
  2. SneakyDave

SneakyDave Well-Known Member

Great job Slavik, sounds like it's going to be a great app
    Slavik likes this.
  3. Slavik

That was always the aim, something which would be of the XenForo quality everyone has come to expect, its strange to think it was 18 months ago and 3 app creation companies later that this all started, but now the end line is in sight its all rather exciting :)
    SneakyDave likes this.
  4. I am interested. There is some pressure from our vBulletin Tapatalk users and I'd like to find a better substitute now when we are converting to XenForo.
    Slavik likes this.
  5. Fred.

Fred. Well-Known Member

I'm also interested in Beta testing :cool:
    We used Tapatalk a long time ago. (n)
    Looking forward to a real app :D
    Slavik likes this.
  6. Solidus

Solidus Well-Known Member

Very interested. Currently using Tapatalk BYO and this looks to be a very worthy replacement. Got lots of app users too.
    Slavik likes this.
  7. Casa Ivar

Casa Ivar New Member

Once this is out, I will be getting this app. Until then, would love to be part of the beta process. Have an active forum with about 57.000 members. Used to use TapaTalk, but left it behind a few years ago.

Thanks for your work on this!
    Slavik likes this.
  8. Dakis

Dakis Well-Known Member

This is exciting!

I'm keen to participate in the beta, I've used both tapatalk and forumrunner in the past, and very eager to get a native app for my forums.
    Slavik likes this.
  9. sross

sross Active Member

If the beta is solid in regards to forum permissions (as in no registered users will find themselves reading our private moderator forums, etc) then I am interested in the beta. We have around 15k uniques a day and previously a lot of tapatalk users who have been desperate for a solution. After migrating to xenforo I decided against tapatalk. Glad to see you guys are almost there! :)
    Donny and Slavik like this.
  10. ŽivaAkcija

ŽivaAkcija Well-Known Member

it is one time fee payment or every year?
  11. Slavik

Most likely there will be a 1 off creation fee, and then it will be a monthly billing.
  12. tommydamic68

tommydamic68 Well-Known Member

Hello, so what was the final outcome of the "type" of app? quote - "mixing hybrid elements of a native and wrapper apps."
  13. ŽivaAkcija

ŽivaAkcija Well-Known Member

it will be like xenforo payment/then renew license every year?
  14. Slavik

No, more like your web hosting, pay every month.
    Xon, Sim, Sheldon and 1 other person like this.
  15. Slavik

The eventual outcome is that this will be purely Native in design, no wrapper elements mixed in.
    Kerby, Sheldon, ŽivaAkcija and 2 others like this.
  16. duderuud

duderuud Active Member

Als interested to see how this beta is different relaties to the alpha version (which I tested a bit too).
  17. Slavik

I think you'll be pleasantly surprised just how much nicer the app is to use in general, as well as some new things (such as Push notifications).
    SneakyDave and Sheldon like this.
  18. Solidus

Solidus Well-Known Member

How easy would it be for 3rd party developers to add support for this app? For example, using the Post Ratings addon functions in this app.
  19. Sheldon

Sheldon Well-Known Member

Heres a hope we can have our own icon as the notification alert! Hahhaha.
    Donny and Slavik like this.
  20. duderuud

duderuud Active Member

I'll let you surprise me, really curious about the progress!
    Slavik likes this.