• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Moving XenForo Forum to new host

Hey Guys,

Loving XenForo.

I need to move my forum to another hosting provider, but not sure where to start. I have made the board in active, and will change the nameservers in due course.

Is there a way in the admin control panel to make a backup of the database? What steps do I need to take to move my forum to the new provider?

Thanks,

Michael

Brogan

XenForo moderator
Staff member
How can I move my installation to a different host?
Backup the existing database and server files. Copy them to the new server and update the library/config.php file with the new database details. Lastly, update the Board URL in the ACP -> Options -> Basic Board Information, if it has changed.

http://xenforo.com/community/threads/frequently-asked-questions.5183/#post-180455

The database (SQL) backup can be done via cPanel/phpMyAdmin if you have that.

The server files can be backed up/copied using FTP.

Hi Guys,

I've copied the files over, uploaded the sql database backup file and changed the config.php file but now i just get a blank page on where I should get the forum homepage.. what options do i have to debug this?

Also, I forgot to mention.. the system requirements don't mention weather I use Linux or Windows just that I need php and mysql5 which I do have on my windows server.. I know .htaccess doesn't work on IIS so do I need to do anything about this?

Thanks,

Michael

Brogan

XenForo moderator
Staff member
You could try restarting the server - that is sometimes required depending on configuration.

Is the ACP available?
Try navigatiing directly to yourdomain.com/community/admin.php

Thanks for your reply, Brogan.

I have restarted the website. Also, all pages are displaying a blank page. I have ran the xenforo_requirements.php script and that passes all tests.

Any other suggestions please?

Thanks,

Michael

Brogan

XenForo moderator
Staff member
Can you post a link to the site?

Are there any errors in the Apache log?

Try enabling debug mode - that might shed some light on it.

How do I enable debug mode?
Edit the /library/config.php file to add the following line: $config['debug'] = true;
Note that it is not advised to run a live site with debug mode enabled due to the increased resources required.

DarkVodka

Formerly Wuebit
Thanks again, Brogan..

It's running on IIS 7.5. I don't see any errors at all.. will try enabling some logging of some sort.

The website address is http://www.hummy.tv/forum/

Thanks,

Michael
You have messed up your config file I can see your username password datebase everything change it asap

The error is
An unexpected database error occurred. Please try again later.
<!-- Access denied for user ''@'localhost' (using password: NO) -->
From what I can see

Brogan

XenForo moderator
Staff member
Looks like it's still resolving to the old site for me - I see a forum page with a message:
"Moving the forums to a new hosting provider. Back in a few days. - Michael"

It seems to be working now. Thanks to Vodkaholic. I forgot to check source code of the blank page for the error messages..

Thank you Vodkaholic.

Problem I have now, when logging in its looking for "login/login" which I guess is Url Rewriting stuff.. how can i turn this off? Can i turn it off.. IIS doesn't use .htaccess does it?

Thanks,

Michael

DarkVodka

Formerly Wuebit
Looks like it's still resolving to the old site for me - I see a forum page with a message:
"Moving the forums to a new hosting provider. Back in a few days. - Michael"
Well he changed / did something he should reply and say what he did as I could see everything (datebase name password username the works) than Mike should be told about it.

DarkVodka

Formerly Wuebit
It seems to be working now. Thanks to Vodkaholic. I forgot to check source code of the blank page for the error messages..

Thank you Vodkaholic.

Problem I have now, when logging in its looking for "login/login" which I guess is Url Rewriting stuff.. how can i turn this off? Can i turn it off.. IIS doesn't use .htaccess does it?

Thanks,

Michael
Login/login is the right url
Ah in the admincp "nice urls" its called

The original problem was due to the way I'd saved the config file - lost all linebreaks - which is now fixed.

The problem I have now is when trying to Login to the forum its trying to post the form to /login/login which doesn't physically exist so i guess this is url rewriting? Which normally uses .htaccess which doesn't work on IIS?

I'm unsure, otherwise..

Thanks,

Michael

DarkVodka

Formerly Wuebit
The original problem was due to the way I'd saved the config file - lost all linebreaks - which is now fixed.

The problem I have now is when trying to Login to the forum its trying to post the form to /login/login which doesn't physically exist so i guess this is url rewriting? Which normally uses .htaccess which doesn't work on IIS?

I'm unsure, otherwise..

Thanks,

Michael
Login/login is the right url
Ah in the admincp "nice urls" its called
:p I edited me post