Moving from dedicated to managed

Random Guy

Currently running vbulletin 3.8 on a dedicated server and want to switch to Xenforo and move to a managed server. The managed server meets all the requirements for PHP/MySQL/Etc versions.

Will there be a problem using XenForo after I no longer have root/system-level access?

As long as they'll do things like install/configure Elastic Search (for example) and do your database backups for you, there's no need for even shell access to manage XF (though it does make upgrading quicker as you can unzip updates on the server).

Likewise, I ran XF on cheap shared hosting before moving to a cloud/cluster but which is still shared, and it works fine. I don't have any control of the server or config, just FTP/Shell access as per a normal shared host.

Mike said in a post recently that XF is written for "the lowest denominator" which is shared hosts like GoDaddy.

Likewise, I ran XF on cheap shared hosting before moving to a cloud/cluster but which is still shared, and it works fine. I don't have any control of the server or config, just FTP/Shell access as per a normal shared host.

Mike said in a post recently that XF is written for "the lowest denominator" which is shared hosts like GoDaddy.
GoDaddy is below that :P

Currently running vbulletin 3.8 on a dedicated server and want to switch to Xenforo and move to a managed server. The managed server meets all the requirements for PHP/MySQL/Etc versions.

Will there be a problem using XenForo after I no longer have root/system-level access?

"Managed" server does not necessarily mean lost off root/system level access. I use a "managed" service from KnownHost that provides root access to the VPS.

"Shared" hosting environments will not provide root system access but might or might not provide access to a Unix shell at your account level.

I used XenForo (7 of my 8 XF forums at the time) in a shared hosting environment at FatCow (June 2012 - Jan 2013). The performance was increasingly unimpressive. It ended this January when one thread got >20K hits in two days and they disabled the account, putting several XF forums & WordPres blogs offline.

I can assure you that XF does not work well at FatCow. Memory contraints & allocation errors became increasingly common. Often you'd link to a page and nothing would display. All those issues went away when I moved to KnownHost.

I also discovered as I was moving to KnownHost that many database backups at FatCow were missing tables (e.g. for one whose raw SQL dump was >80MB only 138 of 146 tables where present in their backup. This could have been a major disaster if I had needed to restore a forum from backups at FatCow.

As long as they'll do things like install/configure Elastic Search (for example) and do your database backups for you, there's no need for even shell access to manage XF (though it does make upgrading quicker as you can unzip updates on the server).

Database backup? Is that with or without all the tables? :D

Sure MikeMpls, there are good shared hosts and bad shared hosts. I moved away from 1&1 shared hosting because it used to drive me nuts, but we'll all have our own stories and opinions there. I've found Mike's post though, which might put the OP's mind at rest, especially since his managed server still sounds quite a way up from shared hosting:

Great Upgrade Experience, Thanks XF!

Top Bottom