1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lack of Interest Move the lock icon onto thread avatar

Discussion in 'Closed Suggestions' started by Shamil, Aug 15, 2010.

1. Shamil

Shamil Well-Known Member

At a quick glance, I won't know if the thread is closed.

Thus, I propose that the lock image is imposed onto the OP's avatar.

What do you think?

wwwicked likes this.
  2. GofD

GofD Well-Known Member

I don't want to look like I'm in prison if a thread of mine gets locked (for whatever reason). Imagine a new person to forums coming in and seeing a lock (negative connotation, generally) on top of their avatar - what would their impression be?

Brandon_R likes this.
  3. Onimua

Onimua Well-Known Member

Then about about pinned/sticked and redirect threads? So far all the icons appear on the right side of the thread title.

4. GodForum.com

GodForum.com Well-Known Member

what would you propose instead ? :)

5. GofD

GofD Well-Known Member

Lock on the thread title or next to it instead?

6. TrixieTang

TrixieTang Well-Known Member

In my opinion it's fine where it is. Really, I think it would probably stand out even less if it were on top of the thread starter's avatar.

Abomination and Nick like this.
  7. Nick

Nick Well-Known Member

Totally agree.

8. Brandon_R

Brandon_R Guest

It's fine where it really is.

9. Shelley

Shelley Well-Known Member

I too think it's fine in it's current location.

10. David Thomas

David Thomas Active Member

I went on a manhunt looking for this supposed lock icon. Trying to find that tiny 16x16px icon was not very intuitive, especially since it's floated to the right. I know that most forums would use a custom skin anyway, but at least make the icon larger if you're bent on not moving it somewhere more eye-placement-worthy.

11. Nick

Nick Well-Known Member

I believe they said the current icons being used are going to be replaced later on, but I'm not sure if that means the size will change. I personally think they're fine.

12. Dean

Dean Well-Known Member

A lock on a thread is like tossing fresh meat to a group of sharks, people will quite quickly figure out which threads are locked then scurry over to read them so they can read why it was locked. I really like it the way it is.

13. David Thomas

David Thomas Active Member

If you don't want them to read it, then move it to trash/rubbish/insert-your-garbage-thread-collecting-subforum-name-here. I'm not saying your opinion isn't valid regarding XF leaving it the way it is, but of course people are going to want to read a locked thread that's in plain view, it's human nature.

14. Sador

Sador Well-Known Member

If you don't like people to read locked topics, don't lock them. (delete / move / whatever them instead)

15. Caliburn

Caliburn Well-Known Member

Personally, I think a *Locked* notification next to the topic title would be best instead of an image icon.

David Thomas likes this.