1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Move just users and passwords from VB to XenForo

Discussion in 'Installation, Upgrade, and Import Support' started by robertrogers, Oct 22, 2011.

1. robertrogers

robertrogers New Member

Hi,

I am new to XenForo and have several thousand users on forum that uses VB.

How would I take just usernames and passwords from the existing VB forum and place them into the new XenForo forum. The idea is to then let the users on the old forum know that they are already signed up on the new forum.

Thank you in advance for your ideas :)

2. Brogan

Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member

You can just run the import users step (after the user groups) using the importer.

vb_import.PNG

3. robertrogers

robertrogers New Member

Wow. that was fast Brogan!

4. robertrogers

robertrogers New Member

Looks like it would work, except I get this error. I have copied and pasted the required information directly from my VB config file so I am quite sure it is correct:

The source database connection details are not correct: Access denied for user 'username-here'@'localhost' (using password: YES)

Are there sometimes other issues that need attention to get it to work?

5. Brogan

I have moved the thread to the correct forum for support.

Please associate your forum account with your license here so you can post in the customer forums: http://xenforo.com/customers/forum-users

6. robertrogers

robertrogers New Member

Thank you Brogan.

Looks like it would work, except I get this error. I have copied and pasted the required information directly from my VB config file so I am quite sure it is correct:

The source database connection details are not correct: Access denied for user 'username-here'@'localhost' (using password: YES)

Are there sometimes other issues that need attention to get it to work?​

7. Brogan

That error simply indicates the connection details are incorrect, there is no other configuration required.

Instead of copying and pasting, try entering the details manually.

8. robertrogers

robertrogers New Member

Well, still no-go

Is it an easy matter to manually move the user information? I can access the VB database that way using Dump

9. Jake Bunce

Jake Bunce XenForo Moderator Staff Member

Nope. The importer is the only way. The import is easy once you get the source database connection working.