Moderator Checkpoint System [Deleted]

Chris D

XenForo developer
Staff member
Chris Deeming submitted a new resource:

AVForums.com - Moderator Checkpoint System - Track which posts have been checked by your moderators across the forum.

AVForums.com - Moderator Checkpoint System (MCS)

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

The Moderator Checkpoint System (MCS) is a tool designed to save your moderators' time when they are reading through your forum looking for problems. It shows which posts/threads/forums have been checked already.
  • Set usergroup permissions for who can use the MCS
  • Users (normally moderators) can switch on the MCS - called Moderation Mode
In...

Read more about this resource...

Look forward to seeing other releases coming from your work with Stuart. I wish I have a site that is busy enough to use this :)

Thanks to those of you who have already purchased this addon.
FYI we've been using the MCS for vBulletin since it was originally released in March 2008 (the original plugin thread at vBulletin.org is here based on my suggestion thread posted in January 2008 here). It's used all the time by the 50+ moderators to efficiently moderate AVForums so we know the system works.
We took the opportunity to apply the 5+ years of experience of using the it to refine it further for Xenforo. The new Checkpoint Page should be the single most useful tool for a moderator who wants to see what threads they need to look at.

Last edited:
Kind of on the fence here. On one hand, it's really interesting and productive. On the other hand, I'm not sure if my moderators would do all this work of checking every single thread and "read" the entire thread(s)/post(s).
I'm also not sure about this since I have a medium size board; it looks like this would have greater benefit for big boards, with lots of threads, posts, and moderators.
Decisions... decisions...

Good idea, but probably only works if you have lots of moderators and they are able to read every single post.

@Moshe1010 yes I agree it's an interesting decision. The important thing is where you place the emphasis.
On the one hand you don't want to alienate your moderators by suddenly burdening them with the task of reading every post unless it's something that is already acceptable as a procedure or work ethic.
On the other hand you want your moderators not to waste their time reading stuff which other moderators have already read, and this is the big selling point.
You can enjoy the benefit of the latter without the issue of the former. So the moderators don't have to check every thread, but their valuable time can still be saved by 'greening' those threads/posts which they have read so that other moderators know that they don't *have* to read those threads if they don't want to.
That's how I would sell the idea to your moderators.
I don't think it's the size of the board which is as relevant as the type of cover provided by your moderators. If you have several moderators covering the same area, it's clearly going to be a benefit to have an indication of which threads have already been checked.

@Walter again, I don't think it's about reading every post, but simply showing an indication of which posts have been read. The more valuable your moderators' time, the more useful it is to know which threads have already been checked.

Does it deal with profile posts, how will your mods check them?

Looks a great system, I'd prefere it to just change the text colour or a simple round traffic light indicator instead of the backgrounds though, so its less in your face but still noticeable, but that's just me.

Good luck swapping over from vb :)

Just to clarify...

You want it so that when you install, you have to check all the existing posts on the forum?

Then the add on already has that.

We don't automatically check any existing posts. Everything will need to be checked.

Sorry, somewhat off topic but before I purchase this, I want to ensure I'll have the funds to purchase the mod I really been waiting on, so with that @Stuart Wright or @Chris Deeming could you shed some light on a ETA of when the forum restrictions for using ad-blocker will be released.

We've not actually started that one yet. It might be a post-launch thing so could be a month or more yet.

Thanks to those new folk who've purchased. Please rate! I'm watching this thread and will help where I can with any questions anyone has on using the system (as opposed to the technicalities of the coding of it).

This has an issue Chris... it won't allow me to create a forum node with it activated. I turned all my add-ons off, then activated one at a time to find the culprit, and this was it, with nothing else turned on.

It doesn't log an actual error, just gives a popup error:

Screen Shot 2013-08-17 at 3.55.20 PM.webp

Top Bottom