Mod Conversion Union

Status
Not open for further replies.

vbresults

I propose we start a mod developer union here, in this thread, for the purpose of converting add-ons from other forum software to xenForo (either with permission from the author or starting from scratch). To keep a good pace, it would be best to strictly work in teams (each consisting of at least one coder). What does everyone think of the idea, and who's in?

More info?
Edited : Are we going to use this topic to get ideas on what add-ons people wants or what should be created?

Also, can you explain your idea of :

it would be best to strictly work in teams (each consisting of at least one coder).

I don't think you should do that here. You are targeting a specific forum platform using Xenforo's company forums. That would prove an IB allegation.

I don't think you should do that here. You are targeting a specific forum platform using Xenforo's company forums. That would prove an IB allegation.

Maybe IB hired him to come here and do just that so they could take screen shots. LMAO
Just poking fun.

That's quite the assertion. Aside from being a customer, I have no affiliation with XenForo Ltd. and the add-on contents are not the intellectual property of IB. Does that address your concern?

That's quite the assertion. Aside from being a customer, I have no affiliation with XenForo Ltd. and the add-on contents are not the intellectual property of IB. Does that address your concern?
Seriously?
By virtue of using this site, you have an affiliation. Your intent is to target a specific platform, not the forum market in general. If you were permitted to use this thread for that purpose, it would constitute defacto support.

Your intentions are good, your goal is admirable. But as a matter of exposure it presents to an active lawsuit, you simply shouldn't do it here.

It's up to the authors to code their own work.

Just to be clear, I grant nobody permission to repurpose or redistribute or recode my vBulletin template, plugin or source code modifications to xenforo.

Seriously?
By virtue of using this site, you have an affiliation. Your intent is to target a specific platform, not the forum market in general. If you were permitted to use this thread for that purpose, it would constitute defacto support.

Your intentions are good, your goal is admirable. But as a matter of exposure it presents to an active lawsuit, you simply shouldn't do it here.
Ah, I see the point you are making. I have revised the original post; do you feel the same now?

P.S. thank you for elaborating on your concerns.

If Floris would allow it on his site I think it would be better to discuss this over there because it is the unofficial official xF site :). Just a suggestion.

Actually there should be no problem at all with using general plugins and products as general targets to develop whatever you want, provided there isn't any patented process involved. For example, you can feel free to create your own gallery, downloads or e-commerce module just like IPB has done. The best thing to do is not to say "I'm targeting XYZ company's plugins" not because you can't do it -- chances are you can. But as you can see in the lawsuit, the moment you say something like this a big company can use your statement to falsely allege copying -- and then it will take months to prove the obvious. Sad but true.

My suggestion - put together a nice list of add-ons and plugins you'd like to create as a matter of general functionality, e.g. XF currency, arcade, knowledgebase, etc.

If I decide i want to work with someone to create a <insert product here> it's not because i want to compete with <insert company here> it's because I find that the <insert product title here> benefits and I'll use it. What happens if you allocated to a group and you happen to ignore that person here? Are you really willing to work with the noob jockey? I know I wouldn't be prepared to. Thanks, but no thanks.

Regardless of my opinion there are already groups of developers working together whom are talented and get along with each other which is an important factor and productive to a working relationship.

Whatever I said, it never hurts to just come to me (or any developer) and simply ask.

Hey, what are your plans for this, I'd love to see that on XenForo? .. Do you have any intention in making it, have you already started? Could you use some help? Mind if I give it a try, but give you full credits, etc?

A gentleman agreement after simply asking first, will get users : very far. It shows a bit of respect, rather than disrespecting the authors by just taking whatever they made, revamping it for xenforo and calling it their own. Even if it is a complete rewrite.

I rather get asked, and do some teamwork to achieve something that benefits everybody - and everybody's on the same page. Than having to deal with some douche that didn't ask and perhaps ruins it for everybody.

People are free to discuss it on this site, but sure, xenfans.com is also a great place to discuss anything community related, or particularly xenforo related.

If I decide i want to work with someone to create a <insert product here> it's not because i want to compete with <insert company here> it's because I find that the <insert product title here> benefits and I'll use it. What happens if you allocated to a group and you happen to ignore that person here? Are you really willing to work with the noob jockey? I know I wouldn't be prepared to. Thanks, but no thanks.

Regardless of my opinion there are already groups of developers working together whom are talented and get along with each other which is an important factor and productive to a working relationship.
The purpose of converting <insert products here> is not for the purpose of competing with <insert company here>, it's to remove what is arguably a significant barrier for transferring from <insert other forum software here> to xenForo.

Next, nobody said anything about allocation; you work with who you want to. If this is something that interests you, fantastic. If not, simply move along.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom