Mobile Internet can be very expensive :(

• Thread starter Thread starter ragtek
  • Start date Start date
R

ragtek

I didn't know that my accounting period isn't from first of each month, instead it starts on every 20. of the month:(
So i exceeded all my allowed traffic too early and need now to pay 250€ extra for 1.5!!!GB :(
This sucks really:(

A very expensive lesson:(

I didn't know that my accounting period isn't from first of each month, instead it starts on every 20. of the month:(
So i exceeded all my allowed traffic too early and need now to pay 250€ extra for 1.5!!!GB :(
This sucks really:(

A very expensive lesson:(

I recently went to Spain and came back with a £500 bill, luckily prior to leaving I had made several phone calls enquiring about the best overseas data plan but had been missold. My mobile company has agreed to waive the charges. That £500 was for 150ish Mb over 5 days. Crazy!

You got to switch your data plan off while roaming, ;) .

The only mobile Internet I use is from Wi-Fi.

The screen ( blackberry torch, iPhone, large screen resolution smartphones ) is too small to view web pages on, so it's a waste of my time getting a data plan, for me of course.
( although, watching a video is nice )

In these days (at least in your country) of tariffs with plenty of GB included (yes, mobile) and with apps from your mobile phone provider warning showing your allowance...

Some providers like mine(AT&T) surprising are quite nice when you call in and they'll backdate and upgrade your data plan so you have the higher plan from the beginning of the overage.

It depends on your billing cycle and also your provider I believe

Some providers like mine(AT&T) surprising are quite nice when you call in and they'll backdate and upgrade your data plan so you have the higher plan from the beginning of the overage.

It depends on your billing cycle and also your provider I believe
I wouldn't necessarily call that being "nice". They just guaranteed more money from you every month. Besides, it's much more worth it to them to keep you happy and loyal then to rip you off and then lose you.

I wouldn't necessarily call that being "nice". They just guaranteed more money from you every month. Besides, it's much more worth it to them to keep you happy and loyal then to rip you off and then lose you.

It's not a contract you sign, the rep even advised me to call back in next month and downgrade the plan back, me upgrading my plan an extra 15 bucks to avoid the 156 overage charge for one month was definitely good advice for me :)

It's not a contract you sign, the rep even advised me to call back in next month and downgrade the plan back, me upgrading my plan an extra 15 bucks to avoid the 156 overage charge for one month was definitely good advice for me :)
Yeah, I know what you're saying. I've had to do that a couple times, myself. What I'm saying, is that they could potentially risk losing you as a customer if they don't work out a reasonable deal for you. So, while they might get $156 in overage fees and $200 for early contract termination...they could potentially lose maybe $392 for the rest of the year (based off of average plan costs and starting from next month's billing cycle. Obviously this would be different in your case) and then potentially $1176 for the next year and every year after that. This is all if you were to not put up with their garbage and just terminate your contract and move to another service. This is why they tend to be more reasonable with things like this. It saves them money in the long run.

Glad I paid the extra 4 euro and 29 euro a month now, for 7mbit unlimited data for my iphone plan. My usage stats that I keep track of myself (since tmobile doesn't offer this) shows I am doing 1,5 gb up and 2,7 gb down, on average per month.

Sorry to hear ragtek ! Try finding one of those apps for the phone that keeps track of the bill and the traffic? I've installed one by tmobile on mine that tells me what currently my next bill is. When i text internationally 4x, an hour later the bill is up with 4x 23 cents. So it's quite accurate thankfully. i could catch potential issues early this way (i hope).

I'm using one of 1und1.de's mobile internet package. Unlimited (!) surfing with 7.200 kBit/s but after 500 MB bandwith usage the speed is downgraded to 64kbit/s. No extra costs of course for 29,99 Euro in a month. Transfer volumes are still ridiculous.

I went to Mauritius, left roaming on (my iPhone), and was greeting with three rather horrible bills:

Screen%20Shot%202011-07-31%20at%2019.27.31.png

Screen%20Shot%202011-07-31%20at%2019.27.20.png

The iPhone is notorious for this. It doesn't appear to turn data usage off when roaming - every phone I've ever had (including my current Android Xperia Play) do this automatically. My brother got a €400 bill when in Spain using his Austrian iPhone.

But roaming data charges are a scam, nothing less. I wouldn't mind, but when I want to Spain I was on Vodafone ES and I'm with Vodafone in the UK, same bloomin' network and I still paid £10 a month for a daily 25mb limit.

Top Bottom