Migrating from NodeBB to Xenforo - Some questions

PadPoet

Hi there,

I work as a Lead Community Manager for a mobile games company. We are considering migrating to XenForo. Some questions:

- We are currently using NodeBB. Do we still need to migrate first to either phpBB or MyBB and then use one of the importers available or can it be done directly at this point in time? Building a tool that migrates from NodeBB to phpBB or MyBB would take up a lot of our time. Is there a plugin that does this?

- Is user data and content migrated properly following the above procedure?

- Are there any successful migration examples like our case above?

Many thanks

Hi there,

I work as a Lead Community Manager for a mobile games company. We are considering migrating to XenForo. Some questions:

- We are currently using NodeBB. Do we still need to migrate first to either phpBB or MyBB and then use one of the importers available or can it be done directly at this point in time? Building a tool that migrates from NodeBB to phpBB or MyBB would take up a lot of our time. Is there a plugin that does this?

- Is user data and content migrated properly following the above procedure?

- Are there any successful migration examples like our case above?

Many thanks
You're better off importing to phpBB 3.

This is straight from MyBB.com docs webpage → MyBB Merge System

In addition... read this thread for further info on the migration of phpBB 3 to Xenforo → phpBB 3 To Xenforo Migration

Last edited:
Small update on our side:

We are ready to begin testing the migration from NodeBB to Xenforo. Our tech team is in the process of importing our NodeBB forums to Xenforo directly through an importer they build themselves. They need however to know the schema of the database used in Xenforo to do this migration. But to get the schema they need to install Xenforo or its database.

@Brogan Are there any test versions of Xenforo to download before buying the product to make sure everything is ok regarding the above?

Edit: We are skipping the NodeBB to phpBB migration and doing directly a NodeBB to Xenforo transfer.

Ok my next question is this: If we buy a license in order to test, can we buy the license extension for $55 afterwards and also all the extras if the import is successful?

Thanks

The extras can be purchased at any time.

There's no need to purchase the extension - the license comes with 12 months of support and updates.

You would typically purchase an extension once that expires.

Ok thanks for all the answers. Since we need to buy a license in order to test the migration we will then import to NodeBB first in order to make sure the transition fully works. I will update you once this has happened on this thread.

Top Bottom