1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

XF 1.1 Migrate From Proprietary to XenForo?

Discussion in 'Installation, Upgrade, and Import Support' started by feldon30, Sep 20, 2012.

1. feldon30

feldon30 Well-Known Member

I am wanting to migrate a truckload of forum posts, users, and threads from a proprietary forum to XenForo.

My first thought was to shuffle the source forum database around to mimic vBulletin 3.6 and then I could use the vB3.6 -> XF importer. However the lack of a vB3.6 database schema is making this tricky.

Suggestions?

Does someone have a dead simple XF importer that will grab users, posts, and threads?

2. feldon30

Ok so I did a backup of an active vB3.x database before and after adding a Custom Profile Field. Using UltraCompare, I was able to determine that these are the DB changes:
    • language: alters `phrasegroup_cprofilefield` column in row 1
    • phrase: adds 2 rows
    • userfield: adds a column
    • profilefield: adds a row
    The vB3->XF importer seems to require one column in the language table: language.charset. Otherwise, I'm not sure it cares.

3. feldon30

The vBulletin -> XenForo importer is very persnickety and expects *at least* these tables:

user
    thread
    userfield
    usertextfield
    phrase
    userfield

setting
    • languageid, attachfile, attachpath, usefileavatar, avatarpath
    administrator
    • userid, adminpermissions
    usertextfield
    • userid, buddylist, signature
    I say at least because at this point I got tired of trying to perfectly recreate a vBulletin forum just to get the XF importer to work. See below to find out what I actually did instead.

4. Digital Doctor

Digital Doctor Well-Known Member

If you can't figure this out ... get SchmitzIT or Jake to do it. If there is any problems with how the data will show up in Xenforo Posts (Formatting, etc.) Jake is the master.

Chris D likes this.
  5. Carlos

Carlos Well-Known Member

Ask Jake Bunce about this.

feldon30 likes this.
  6. Jake Bunce

Jake Bunce XenForo Moderator Staff Member

He did. :D

I gave him some info about how I handle custom imports that have no existing import system.

feldon30 likes this.
  7. Carlos

Carlos Well-Known Member

See! Such a nice guy! :)

8. feldon30

Thanks Jake.

And just a general takeaway here -- if you have both vBulletin and XenForo licenses and an unknown/undefined database format, the best bet seems to be: load your posts, threads, and users into a blank vBulletin forum, then run every Repair script available. It should piece it together well enough for a XenForo import. XenForo's importer will not tolerate missing data like vB's repair scripts will.

Will write back when I make some progress.