Lack of interest /me command

This suggestion has been closed automatically because it did not receive enough votes over an extended period of time. If you wish to see this, please search for an open suggestion and, if you don't find any, post a new one.

Stormkeeper

I've searched the forums, but no one has seemed to have mentioned the use of a /me command! I know that it's in SMF 1.x (and presumably 2.x) and I have an add-on for it in vBulletin 4.x (though the add-on dates from 3.8), but I was wondering if there's plans for one in the forum software proper or will it be an add-on? My forum users are quite attached to the command and wouldn't be happy if it wasn't included! I don't mind doing one myself once I can afford a copy of XenForo, but I figured I'd ask, just so I know if I should focus my energy here or somewhere else.

Upvote 6
This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
It is indeed. People on my forums like using it a lot, to the extent that I have a whole thread dedicated to just /me commands and also use it regularly within threads.

So essentially it's just a way of referring to yourself in the third person without having to type out your userid?

Personally I can't see it being added into the core but it would be a prime candidate for an add-on.
I'm fairly sure someone would be able to code that fairly easily.

I had a feeling that might be the case. I certainly wouldn't mind trying my hand at it myself if I can get a copy of XF soon enough... otherwise I'm quite happy to use one that is developed between now and then. Although I did notice that it's included into the core of SMF, hence why I thought it'd be a good idea to check if it was being developed into the core of XF.

Well it's up to Kier and Mike what gets coded but this is the first time I have seen it mentioned hence why I suspect it hasn't even been considered.
Features are driven by community demand sometimes, so if enough people want it then there is more chance of it being included.

It's a relatively minor feature I'm guessing, so I'm not surprised it's not been considered yet. Certainly, I know it's not in vB4, in fact SMF is currently the only example I can think of that has it. If no one has a version out by the time I get a copy of XF, I'll do it myself, then release it :)

Well it's up to Kier and Mike what gets coded but this is the first time I have seen it mentioned hence why I suspect it hasn't even been considered.
Features are driven by community demand sometimes, so if enough people want it then there is more chance of it being included.
Correction, I've mentioned it to them once or twice. It is very widely used in other forum software, as an add-on. I would like to see it in the core product, but would settle for an add-on. :)

Now that it's an actual suggestion., I shall like the post. :)

I would love to see it as well.

Not only can you refer to yourself in the third person, but it also centers it and usually changes the color, as well as adding a * before and after....

If we're meant to be moving bravely into the future here, /me seems a bit of a throwback to 1993-era AOL chatrooms or something, doesn't it?

/me asks a/s/l?

Just saying.

I suppose you could look at it like that. But for the forums I've used it on, it does seem to encourage posting. For whatever reason.
It's just a fun little thing and I sincerely home that someone does this.

IRC still is very much in use, as is the /me command... it's used for referring to one's self in the third person. I certainly would develop this myself as soon as I can afford a copy, and I'm about 1/3 of the way there now... going by AdSense and SpreadShirt earnings >.>

Top Bottom