Mark Posts as Best Answer [Deleted]

Question for those of you with it installed, please.
Does a normal user mark a post as best answer, in the same way as a moderator and as per screenshots above? That is, registered users also have to open the tools menu to see the option and select it? If so, does that impact the usability of this, since it's hidden and forgotten to normal users?

Question for those of you with it installed, please.
Does a normal user mark a post as best answer, in the same way as a moderator and as per screenshots above? That is, registered users also have to open the tools menu to see the option and select it? If so, does that impact the usability of this, since it's hidden and forgotten to normal users?
It's based on permissions. So you can set it so that all members, including new members can Mark Posts as the Best Answer. Or, like us, only 'Members' who have advanced from New Member.
No, they don't have to open the tools menu. There is a new Best Answer button in the Private Controls area (i.e. in the same area as the Report button).
1.webp
Also see my post above. The phrase 'Mark Post as Best Answer' does not make that post the best answer. It just adds your vote for it to become the best answer if it reaches the minimum vote score.

@Lior. I have some feedback on the latest iteration of this addon.
First, very nice, thank you :)
Second, if the Best Answer is post #2 - i.e. it is displayed directly under the question anyway, is there any point in showing the best answer in post #1? Personally I would not display it there if the best answer is post #2 anyway.
Third, I think the phrase 'Mark Post as Best Answer' is potentially confusing. It implies that you will 'make' the post the best answer. This works for the version where the OP picks the best answer. But when members are voting for the best answer, I think the phrase 'Vote for Best Answer' might be more intuitive.
Fourth I would make the 'Click for original message' link open in the same window. target="_self"

Last edited:
Got this error while updating: Callback BestAnswer_Listener::load_class_view is invalid (Invalid Method).

Downloaded the 1.4.0 however am getting the following error when I try upgrading / or after I uninstalled the old on and tried installing the new one.

Server Error
Mysqli statement execute error : Duplicate column name 'unanswered_prefix_id'

1. Zend_Db_Statement_Mysqli->_execute()in Zend/Db/Statement.php at line297
  2. Zend_Db_Statement->execute()in Zend/Db/Adapter/Abstract.php at line479
  3. Zend_Db_Adapter_Abstract->query()in BestAnswer/Installer.php at line60
  4. BestAnswer_Installer::install()
  5. call_user_func()in XenForo/Model/AddOn.php at line215
  6. XenForo_Model_AddOn->installAddOnXml()in Waindigo/InstallUpgrade/Extend/XenForo/Model/AddOn.php at line88
  7. Waindigo_InstallUpgrade_Extend_XenForo_Model_AddOn->installAddOnXml()in ConvEss/Model/AddOn.php at line24
  8. ConvEss_Model_AddOn->installAddOnXml()in XenForo/Model/AddOn.php at line169
  9. XenForo_Model_AddOn->installAddOnXmlFromFile()in Waindigo/InstallUpgrade/Extend/XenForo/Model/AddOn.php at line64
  10. Waindigo_InstallUpgrade_Extend_XenForo_Model_AddOn->installAddOnXmlFromFile()in AddOnInstaller/ControllerAdmin/AddOn.php at line36
  11. AddOnInstaller_ControllerAdmin_AddOn->actionInstallUpgrade()in XenForo/FrontController.php at line347
  12. XenForo_FrontController->dispatch()in XenForo/FrontController.php at line134
  13. XenForo_FrontController->run()in /home/satguys/public_html/xen/admin.php at line13
Same here :/

Any fix for this problem while upgrading?
I disabled the addon temporarily.

I'm wondering if it's possible to add the author of the "best answer" inside the quote somehow with the latest version? It looks like this for me right now, which is great, but it would be even more great if it also said who wrote the answer and maybe also add a timestamp? I would be very happy with just the author though :) (BTW - thanks for this awesome resource!)

gpV7qKb.png

Hi, I'm getting the following errors. Any suggestions how to fix it?

Server Error

Mysqli statement execute error : Duplicate column name 'power'

1. Zend_Db_Statement_Mysqli->_execute() in Zend/Db/Statement.php at line 297
  2. Zend_Db_Statement->execute() in Zend/Db/Adapter/Abstract.php at line 479
  3. Zend_Db_Adapter_Abstract->query() in BestAnswer/Installer.php at line 55
  4. BestAnswer_Installer::install()
  5. call_user_func() in XenForo/Model/AddOn.php at line 215
  6. XenForo_Model_AddOn->installAddOnXml() in XenForo/Model/AddOn.php at line 169
  7. XenForo_Model_AddOn->installAddOnXmlFromFile() in XenForo/ControllerAdmin/AddOn.php at line 187
  8. XenForo_ControllerAdmin_AddOn->actionInstall() in XenForo/FrontController.php at line 347
  9. XenForo_FrontController->dispatch() in XenForo/FrontController.php at line 134
  10. XenForo_FrontController->run() in /home/website.com/public_html/forums/admin.php at line 13

Reactions: rdn
Exactly, It's clear something else is using this same name - maybe something like bapower or besanpow, would be best.

Needs to be extremely unique to prevent such things. Maybe if the guys experiencing the error all get in a chat and compare add-on's, you'll find the add-on causing the conflict and can decide between the two.

love you suggestions btw stuart.

First, sorry for the long time it took, I was unable to respond to all of you until now.

I have contacted everyone who's been having issues via a private conversation, since it's hard to keep track of things on the thread.

If there's anyone that I've missed, please do contact me.

Got this error while updating: Callback BestAnswer_Listener::load_class_view is invalid (Invalid Method).

This error is caused by upgrading the add-on through the admin panel before uploading the new version's files, which is a really bad idea.

I'm wondering if it's possible to add the author of the "best answer" inside the quote somehow with the latest version? It looks like this for me right now, which is great, but it would be even more great if it also said who wrote the answer and maybe also add a timestamp? I would be very happy with just the author though :) (BTW - thanks for this awesome resource!)

gpV7qKb.png
Yeah, I've been asked for this and will definitely be adding some more info about the post author in the next version.

Just want to comment that I think it's a bad idea to name new columns so generically.
The power column is located in the xf_best_answer_vote table, so there is no problem with generic names.

Exactly, It's clear something else is using this same name - maybe something like bapower or besanpow, would be best.

Needs to be extremely unique to prevent such things. Maybe if the guys experiencing the error all get in a chat and compare add-on's, you'll find the add-on causing the conflict and can decide between the two.

love you suggestions btw stuart.
That's impossible actually, since that column is located in a table created by the Best Answer add-on, and not on a core xF table.

That's usually just a race condition. Just try again.
Actually, I'm still investigating it, but it seems like the add-on's event listener class is already loaded when the upgrade process begins (well, naturally), therefore even though it's updated, the changes don't take effect. As a result, when a new event listener is added with a callback method that hadn't existed before the beginning of the execution, it fails.

To anyone who's been having problems - I've uploaded a fixed version, which checks for the existence of the power and the unanswered_prefix_id columns, and therefore prevents the error.

Please use the link you've received in the last email to download this version.

Reactions: rdn
Top Bottom