Mark Posts as Best Answer [Deleted]

I ended up changing it to poster/staff member marks as best answer, so examining my installation now wouldn't help.

Now I'm having an issue on the member profile page. Selecting the "Best Answers" tab shows data from the "information" tab. It seems everything has shifted, but nothing ever shows for best answers. You can see this at http://lazyloaders.com. Click on my username (I'm the only one with best answers at the moment).
Fixed in the latest update.

Hi Lior, really great modification this and I am definetly going to implement it when I switch to xenforo. One question though, and apologies if I overlooked this already being asked....One of the pet peaves of my membership is the fact that someone can become a 'senior member' purely based on post count, meaning some people might take the advice of a senior member as gospel even though it could be far from it. I know best answers are listed in profiles, but is there a way of tying this in directly with the members user rank?
Yes, the add-on adds a new criterion, which can be used in usergroup promotions and trophies.

Is it possible to create a Promotion when a user got 100 Best Answer?
As I notice:
User has posted at least X posts which have been marked as best answers:
It only counts post right?

Hello Lior,
this is a really nice addon. Could I please submit some ideas which would be great for AVForums and other forums, I think? Apologies if some of these features are already in the addon.
Firstly it is not always appropriate for threads to have the best answer option. Maybe there is a condolences thread on someones' death, or it's just a joke thread. So I propose for each thread:
  1. Best answer off
  2. Best answer chosen by thread starter
  3. Best answer chosen by voting
  • usergroup permission to allow the thread starter to enable best answer functionality in his/her thread. Not all usergroups will have the permission to do it.
  • when starting a thread, a user with the appropriate permission has the option to either pick the best answer them self or allow member voting to pick the best answer. So the forum has the best of both worlds of your addon applied to each thread individually.
  • usergroup permission to toggle best answer feature on a thread. If a thread starter has enabled it where it's not appropriate, or not enabled it where it is, then a moderator should be able to change it.
I understand that there are usergroup permissions to enable voting for best answer.
I would also like to have usergroup permissions to enable being voted for best answer. It is not always appropriate for some people to have their posts voted as best answer. Maybe new users on some forums. Certainly people who have been suspended should have this privilege removed. Also advertisers posting in the forums should not have their posts bumped up to the top by their friends as this would benefit them in a dishonest way.

Admin options for the display of the best answer:
  • Moved from its original position to under post #1
  • Copied from its original position to under post #1
  • Short alert bar under post #1 which when clicked, opens the thread at the best answer post. Scrolling down if it's on the same page.
Again, this would then give people the best of all worlds.
View attachment 53428 View attachment 53429
I've attached a couple of quick mockups, which I'm sure you could design much more elegantly.
I see more uses for the thread starter selected option. Say if someone wants to have their own mini competition, they can invite people to reply, and the OP selects the winner. This is why I have warmed to your idea of having an OP selectable best answer.
Anyhow, those are my ideas. Thanks

I think most forums have topics dedicated to certain subjects where people post threads which are comments, questions, news, social stuff... I have rarely seen forums which are focussed only on questions. Which is why I think making each thread a choice is my favourite route.
I would love to use this functionality on AVForums, and certainly there are some forums where it's more appropriate than others. But generally I would say that if you empower the members, they like the forum more.
Posting a thread? Sure. You want to attach images? No problem. You want a poll? Easy. You want to select the best answer to your question? Yeah, go on then! :)

Returning to this addon, I would love to install it on AVForums.
I still need the thread starter or moderators to select whether the thread has best answer functionality or not. And display a link to the best answer under post #1.
Would you consider my requests please?

Returning to this addon, I would love to install it on AVForums.
I still need the thread starter or moderators to select whether the thread has best answer functionality or not. And display a link to the best answer under post #1.
Would you consider my requests please?
Firstly it is not always appropriate for threads to have the best answer option. Maybe there is a condolences thread on someones' death, or it's just a joke thread. So I propose for each thread:
  1. Best answer off
  2. Best answer chosen by thread starter
  3. Best answer chosen by voting
I don't think this is possible. How would you give permissions based a thread? would go a thread-thread and activate the option of "best-answer"? Most "death" topics are happening in Off-topic forums, just disable the best answers option there.

I don't think this is possible. How would you give permissions based a thread? would go a thread-thread and activate the option of "best-answer"? Most "death" topics are happening in Off-topic forums, just disable the best answers option there.
I agree with this. It makes sense to have Q/A forums only, but not a mixture of Q/A and discussion.

I agree with this. It makes sense to have Q/A forums only, but not a mixture of Q/A and discussion.

Chaps it's the very nature of forums and I'm surprised you don't appreciate this. Whether we're talking about a thread in the on topic forums where people are reviewing a product where Best Answer is unnecessary, inappropriate clutter or a question in general chat where someone is asking for advice on the best shampoo where Best Answer is something the OP specifically wants and is wholly appropriate.
I have never heard of the phrase Death Topics, but our off topic forums also generate traffic and are valued by the members.
Sorry but the ability for the OP and the moderators to toggle Best Answer on a thread by thread basis is a show stopper for us.

Chaps it's the very nature of forums and I'm surprised you don't appreciate this. Whether we're talking about a thread in the on topic forums where people are reviewing a product where Best Answer is unnecessary, inappropriate clutter or a question in general chat where someone is asking for advice on the best shampoo where Best Answer is something the OP specifically wants and is wholly appropriate.
I have never heard of the phrase Death Topics, but our off topic forums also generate traffic and are valued by the members.
Sorry but the ability for the OP and the moderators to toggle Best Answer on a thread by thread basis is a show stopper for us.
I'm sorry, I can't get the purpose of this addition. But if Lior would like to add this for you, then be it. I don't think it's a simple addition, and I guess it's unlikely to happen since it's not something that most people that have this add-on want. There are more critical things to consider such as making the "copied" post that is created after #1 post number and the actual post that was chosen as best answer to look less confusing/awkward. Or add the option to alert automatically to users after x days since opening their thread to choose the best answer, etc`.
Having the ability to choose the best answer, doesn't mean that people should use this option. I think people are smart enough to understand when to use it or not, even it's "inappropriate". After all, only the OP and the moderators have this ability (unless you chose to use the "voting" system, which I was against it from day one).

I'm sorry, I can't get the purpose of this addition. But if Lior would like to add this for you, then be it. I don't think it's a simple addition, and I guess it's unlikely to happen since it's not something that most people that have this add-on want. There are more critical things to consider such as making the "copied" post that is created after #1 post number and the actual post that was chosen as best answer to look less confusing/awkward. Or add the option to alert automatically to users after x days since opening their thread to choose the best answer, etc`.
Having the ability to choose the best answer, doesn't mean that people should use this option. I think people are smart enough to understand when to use it or not, even it's "inappropriate". After all, only the OP and the moderators have this ability (unless you chose to use the "voting" system, which I was against it from day one).

I can certainly see the purpose. A lot of forum discussions are just that, discussions. Most of the time an 'answer' isn't required, but in some cases it is. Toggling this on a thread by thread basis would be a positive move I think. Currently the only thing thats putting me off this mod is that it is too open to abuse. For example, I will be looking to tie this mod in with the user ranking to give forum visitors a better idea of who the most notable members are without it being based on post count. I can see some of the forum comedians clocking up as many best answer votes as they do likes just for their witty replies, would would kinda defeat the whole point.

'After all, only the OP and the moderators have this ability (unless you chose to use the "voting" system, which I was against it from day one'

I also see little point in not using the voting system. If the OP knows the best answer, they probably wouldn't need to ask the question in the first place

I can certainly see the purpose. A lot of forum discussions are just that, discussions. Most of the time an 'answer' isn't required, but in some cases it is. Toggling this on a thread by thread basis would be a positive move I think. Currently the only thing thats putting me off this mod is that it is too open to abuse. For example, I will be looking to tie this mod in with the user ranking to give forum visitors a better idea of who the most notable members are without it being based on post count. I can see some of the forum comedians clocking up as many best answer votes as they do likes just for their witty replies, would would kinda defeat the whole point.

'After all, only the OP and the moderators have this ability (unless you chose to use the "voting" system, which I was against it from day one'

I also see little point in not using the voting system. If the OP knows the best answer, they probably wouldn't need to ask the question in the first place
The OP doesn't KNOW the best answer. But he can CHOOSE the best answer, after he received one. In other words, the best answer = the answer that solved/helped to OP. As I said before, it's up to Lior to decide what would be in his add-on, but I guess the toggling on/off per a thread is not going to be a priority since there are other, more critical features to add to this add-on.

Top Bottom